Bulking but slow strength gains

2»

Replies

• williamwj2014
    williamwj2014 Posts: 750 Member
    Lots of good advice on this thread. Honestly though, don't try to force yourself to lift heavier too soon or you risk injury. You have to take into account that as you age, you definitely do not recover as quickly as someone whose 18-21 and building strength would also take a little longer. Make sure your getting enough sleep at night 6-8 hours.
  • Brolympus
    Brolympus Posts: 360 Member
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    Thanks @ndj1979 , no I haven't been taking measurements but it makes sense to do so, I will start measuring asap,
    So with your advise in mind, I was thinking of starting a 5x5 routine when it was time to mix things up,
    Is there a better routine to go on?
    At the moment I am mostly aiming for 8-10 rep with the exception of deadlift and squat which is at 6-8reps?

no problem …

Are you new to lifting?

If you are not on a structured program then I would highly recommend something structured like strong lifts, starting strength, all pro beginner…if you are not new to lifting you could run a more intermediate program …just depends on your experience level ...

No I'm not on any structured routine apart from simply.....
    Chest/bi -tuesday back/tris/calves - Wednesday
    Shoulders/core - Friday , legs - Sunday

I'm fairly new to lifting , I had a few years experience about 5 years ago so I guess I'm back where I started,

Starting strength it is then

@ Horrorfox thanks also, I'm at the end of the scale where I read too much and get lost in the bro science from time to time,
    But that's why I'm posting here,

Just plugging in another vote for Starting Strength. I used to be on a "bro split" routine that I just made up and my results were not good. I floundered around for about 6 months and made marginal progress.

Full body workouts are the way to go. If you study anything from pre 1960's bodybuilders, before steroid use was prevalent, these guys all trained full body, every other day, just like Starting Strength (and Stronglifts, and a number of other reputable programs) do. The body split routine is a product of modern bodybuilders touting their workout routines, but failing to mention the part where they have "assistance" that keeps their body's protein synthesis rate spiked for days after hitting a muscle. A normal person looses this spike in less than 48 hours. Splits are great when you are on gear. Not so much if you are like everybody else.
  • jamesmorin59
    jamesmorin59 Posts: 37 Member
    edited August 2015
    So 2 weeks on and I've been working to this routine......

I have been doing only the three main lifts @ 5x5 , lifts going up every session but was wondering what people thought about the extra exercises I was thinking to add in for a little hypertrophy
    Will this be ok or possible overkill,

*-Day1 - workout A 5x5-*

SQUAT
    Bench
    Bent over Row

3sets x 8-10reps of.....
    Dips forward tilt. #.or.# skull crushers
    Chin ups hammer grip. #.or.# palms away grip
    Chest flys. #.or.# db press

*-Day 2 - workout B 5x5-*

Squat
    Overhead press
    Deadlift 1 set x 5 reps

3sets x 8-10reps of....
    Face pulls #.or.# y raise Bb/db
    Pull ups wide grip. #.or.# pull downs
    Rear delt raises #.or.# side delt raises

REPEAT

I have been eating well, 95% clean , no cheat days just a cheat meal once a week but I always stick to my macros
  • Horrorfox
    Horrorfox Posts: 204 Member
    You can start adding in more exercises maybe 5-6 weeks after you've stuck to the main lifts. Even though you're doing 5x5, you can still follow this method.

https://blackironbeast.com/starting-strength
  • michaelmixer
    michaelmixer Posts: 1 Member
    I would say Protein is way too high. 1g per lb of lean body mass is all that is necessary, anything else won't really do much else for you except taking away from some of the flexibility of having more carbs to play around with. Even if you wanted to go with a max of a gram per lb of total mass the protein is still too high
  • Bansh3e
    Bansh3e Posts: 71 Member
    You put on 2.5 kg per week? That`s such a dirty bulk, you will get fat fast
  • jamesmorin59
    Horrorfox wrote: »
    You can start adding in more exercises maybe 5-6 weeks after you've stuck to the main lifts. Even though you're doing 5x5, you can still follow this method.

https://blackironbeast.com/starting-strength
    Thanks again pal
  • jamesmorin59
    I would say Protein is way too high. 1g per lb of lean body mass is all that is necessary, anything else won't really do much else for you except taking away from some of the flexibility of having more carbs to play around with. Even if you wanted to go with a max of a gram per lb of total mass the protein is still too high

My goal set grams are too high or the fact that I went over on that day?
    I now weigh 170lbs

Bansh3e wrote: »
    You put on 2.5 kg per week? That`s such a dirty bulk, you will get fat fast
    My lifts up 2.5kg weekly,
    And I've put on 5lbs in 4 weeks