If you've been on Phentermine, what were your results?

Options
124»

Replies

• tyoung8
    tyoung8 Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    First off my doctor told me this medicine was meant for people who could not ignore cravings, had low metabolisms and really needed some help getting into good habits and were not meant to be diet pills at all. Crutches are real things, they are meant to help people when they need it until they get better and if used exactly as intended they are very helpful. There is no reason you can not get a bit of outside help until you are ready to do it alone you just need to keep that mindset of 'this is to assist, I need to still do the work and keep doing it even after the assist is gone.'

I never got the jitters, insomnia, or increased heart rate or any other side effects really. In fact for me it slowed everything down. I don't lose weight just taking the pills I really just stay the same, what the pill did for me is they killed the constant need to eat whether I was hungry or not. I still get hungry when I am actually hungry but I don't feel like I need to eat 24/7 like I used to. On it for some crazy reason I feel calmer, more in control, I stopped having anxiety attacks and crazy mood swings and I have way more focus.

I take half the recommended amount and I diet and exercise and am losing weight slowly but before that was all impossible. I was a mess who would keep eating even if it hurt because I was emotionally distraught or panicking and some part of my brain truly believed that more pizza would make everything better. Have you ever felt that if you did not eat a candy bar in the next five minute you'd literally die? Your heart pounding and trouble breathing and fight or flight in full over drive? It was not a fun time.

I know these are atypical results but this is my experience. Before anyone tries to tell me that I may have a disorder that probably needs a real diagnoses, I know and I want to see someone about it, but I currently can't do so.

wow. sounds intense.

• gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,590 Member
    Options
    It worked well for me. I took it for one month so that I could adjust to my new habits and calorie deficit without losing my mind from hungr. By the time one month was over, I'd established the new habits and so I tapered off of the pills. I continued counting calories and working out. I lost the entire amount of weight I set out to lose. I have not gained back a single pound. It has been over a year since I took the pills. I should note that I still count calories, log everything, and work out hard.
  • nursejulia1
    nursejulia1 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I started MFP about the same time my Bestie started Phentermine (she started beginning of Jan and I started the end of Jan). We weighed about the same to begin with and are litterally within two lbs of the same lost (50#). No judgement here, everyone is different. We both watch what we eat and excercise. I have taken Phentermine in the past (2 times) I lost some weight but had similar side effects as others (heart palpitations, restlessness, jittery insomnia) the first time and the second time the side effects were wose without the success. Were both doing well and what were doing is working for each of us. Good luck!
  • getitamb
    getitamb Posts: 2,019 Member
    Options
    First off my doctor told me this medicine was meant for people who could not ignore cravings, had low metabolisms and really needed some help getting into good habits and were not meant to be diet pills at all. Crutches are real things, they are meant to help people when they need it until they get better and if used exactly as intended they are very helpful. There is no reason you can not get a bit of outside help until you are ready to do it alone you just need to keep that mindset of 'this is to assist, I need to still do the work and keep doing it even after the assist is gone.'

I never got the jitters, insomnia, or increased heart rate or any other side effects really. In fact for me it slowed everything down. I don't lose weight just taking the pills I really just stay the same, what the pill did for me is they killed the constant need to eat whether I was hungry or not. I still get hungry when I am actually hungry but I don't feel like I need to eat 24/7 like I used to. On it for some crazy reason I feel calmer, more in control, I stopped having anxiety attacks and crazy mood swings and I have way more focus.

I take half the recommended amount and I diet and exercise and am losing weight slowly but before that was all impossible. I was a mess who would keep eating even if it hurt because I was emotionally distraught or panicking and some part of my brain truly believed that more pizza would make everything better. Have you ever felt that if you did not eat a candy bar in the next five minute you'd literally die? Your heart pounding and trouble breathing and fight or flight in full over drive? It was not a fun time.

I know these are atypical results but this is my experience. Before anyone tries to tell me that I may have a disorder that probably needs a real diagnoses, I know and I want to see someone about it, but I currently can't do so.

Have you tried not putting so much pressure on yourself as well? Maybe starting out adding things instead of taking them out. Like little things. More veggies. And more water. I'm sure you'll do great. It just seems you're hard on yourself.

• momokitty1992
    momokitty1992 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    getitamb wrote: »

Have you tried not putting so much pressure on yourself as well? Maybe starting out adding things instead of taking them out. Like little things. More veggies. And more water. I'm sure you'll do great. It just seems you're hard on yourself.

I do pressure myself. I have self reflected on that and it took 2 years but I'm now in a place where I feel happy and you now, despite being fat, I can look in a mirror and think I'm beautiful. The over eating isn't about hunger or will power. Its about a real emotional and mental problem I have that phentermine by accident is fixing.

Its like when you have a imbalance as a young woman (13/14) and the doctor gives you birth control to regulate your hormones? They are not giving it to you for its initial purpose (prevent pregnancy) they are giving it to you because it also fixes hormonal issues. Phentermine by accident is treating an issue I didn't realize wasn't just part of my personality. My goal is to eventually see a therapist and talk to them about the attacks and actually find a real treatment for the actual problem. I can not at this moment in time see a professional but I do recognize this isn't along term solution.
  • Candyy__sma
    Candyy__sma Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I was in the same boat. Id lost 35lbs via exercise and a healthy diet but with pregnancy I gained it all back. I started the process again but with no results. My dr prescribed phentermine and I loved it. No work was necessary and I lost 20 lbs very fast (who doesn't love FAST weight loss?) but it literally came back within two months of getting off the pills. My advice is unless you're serious about a healthy diet and exercise in addition to the "boast" via the phen then I wouldn't even bother.
  • Candyy__sma
    Candyy__sma Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I was in the same boat. Id lost 35lbs via exercise and a healthy diet but with pregnancy I gained it all back. I started the process again but with no results. My dr prescribed phentermine and I loved it. No work was necessary and I lost 20 lbs very fast (who doesn't love FAST weight loss with zero effort?) but it literally came back within two months of getting off the pills. My advice is unless you're serious about a healthy diet and exercise in addition to the "boast" via the phen then I wouldn't even bother.

• getitamb
    getitamb Posts: 2,019 Member
    Options
    I
    I was in the same boat. Id lost 35lbs via exercise and a healthy diet but with pregnancy I gained it all back. I started the process again but with no results. My dr prescribed phentermine and I loved it. No work was necessary and I lost 20 lbs very fast (who doesn't love FAST weight loss?) but it literally came back within two months of getting off the pills. My advice is unless you're serious about a healthy diet and exercise in addition to the "boast" via the phen then I wouldn't even bother.

@candacethornton20 you are spitting truth.

• 2015_120
    2015_120 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Long ago, MFP helped me established good habits tracking my exercise and understanding the quality of the foods I was choosing (not just the amounts). I understand I cannot eat crap day-in and day-out, move minimally, and expect to feel good... I got that concept a long time ago.

After learning what I needed to do, I became even more diligent than ever logging my food. I found exercise I enjoyed. I got a personal trainer to help me with my form and personalize my strength workouts further. I should have been losing weight at a slow, even rate. Well, I didn't lose. Not weight, not inches. I was concerned.

I saw my doctor. She told me to do all the things I was already doing and she ran labs to check for hidden endocrine issues (they came back normal). She said what everyone else was telling me: 'you probably underestimate how much you are eating... track it more honestly' and my now-favorite line: 'eat less, move more'. I agreed. I took her advice to heart; she could be right - that does work for a lot of people. But, apparently, I would soon learn, not for me.

I continued on like this for 6 months... one year... 18 months. At this point, even my former personal trainer suggested I see my doctor again because I was unable to achieve minimal results with my eating and exercise plan. Even at 1400 quality calories a day, dedicated cardio and strength training (changing it up here and there), and a positive attitude, I was getting no where. I was puzzled, but I kept trying. I am stupidly stubborn at times.

I saw my doctor on June 4th. I weighed in at 200 lbs (I'm barely 5'4"). After much discussion and counseling regarding Phentermine, we agreed I would be a good candidate to give it a try on a short-term basis. I began on June 6th. This morning (August 15th) I weighed in at 164 lbs.

I have not had any of the scary side effects (I take 1/2 a tablet). My blood pressure remains normal; I do track it daily (115/70 average). I eat similarly as before (still no processed foods, no added sugar or salt, drink only water), however I do eat less. I still exercise and I enjoy it. The difference is that I'm losing weight now. Soon, my BMI will be within the normal range. I feel good.

My advice to you: this drug is not for everyone, but it can be effective. Use it as an opportunity to develop good habits while your appetite is diminished. REALLY IMPORTANT: Your motivation should be to take measures to care for your health long-term, and not for a "quick fix". Be honest with yourself. But don't forget to be kind, also. You're a work-in-progress, just like the rest of us.

Lastly, don't get discouraged by the naysayers. I think it may be hard for them to accept that some individuals find success with help from a medication. Perhaps they see it as a "shortcut" and are bitter. I don't know or care to delve deeper into the psyche of that particular temperament.

I wish you all the best and sincerely hope you find success in your journey!

• AuthenticallyAmanda
    AuthenticallyAmanda Posts: 39 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    I just started on it 9 days ago. It takes the urge of constantly eating away! Lost 4lbs the first 3 days. I weigh in again on Sunday. I didn't have any side effects. It has really helped me.

For people who said they gained all the weight back, is because they didn't use the pills correctly. It's supposed to be apart of a transformation. Meaning you need to maintain portion control and exercise after you get off it. I feel sorry for people who didn't put the extra effort in after they got off the medication!

Feel free to add me! B)
  • LiveLoveLift48
    LiveLoveLift48 Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    Three years ago i was prescribed this as a kick start. I took it the first month learned to weigh and measure and eat right and it also gave me the energy to get interested in exercising. I took it for 2 and a half months and when the Dr asked if i wanted another month i said no. I learned how to eat right and move my body ( weights) and i had enough of the side effects that came with it. I didnt need it any longer. If you take it, you need to be prepared to eat well and exercise. If you dont, you will probably gain it back. 3 years later i have gained 20 of my lost pounds back but that was my own fault ( damn cupcakes). Rememeber they are a helper in the beginning but they are not the answer to the problem.
  • Janice4945
    Janice4945 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I took them and lost 35 lbs but gained it back plus! Not the answer!

• susanofarrell
    susanofarrell Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    It has helped me in the past, but Topamax is helping me more these days. Totally diminishes my appetite so I am able to make healthy food choices. And no jitters. If you do decide to take it, I suggest never taking Phentermine after lunch (if you hope to sleep that night). Good luck!
  • emmajoy_21
    emmajoy_21 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I was prescribed phentermine at the beginning of June this year. I didn't go to my doctor with the intention of getting diet pills, I just wanted any kind of help she could provide. I was bingeing every night, and I had completely lost control over my eating. I weighed in at 131.8kg; it's been about 10 weeks and I have lost 16 kgs (about 35 lbs).

I took the pills almost every day for two months, starting on 15mg and then bumping up to 30mg. My doctor then increased my dose to 40mg for this month, however I have decided to cut back and I have only been taking them occasionally for the past few weeks. When I started I had to be really conscious of making sure I ate properly, as it's easy to forget. The novelty of not being constantly focused on food makes it really tempting to skip meals but that will get you nowhere except rebounding like crazy. I have binged a couple of times since I've been on the pill, and I have found that just because I'm not hungry it doesn't necessarily mean that I won't eat my emotions. Although, I think I've always known that because once you're 1000 calories into a binge and still eating, you aren't exactly famished.

As others have said, the most important thing is that you use the pill correctly. You have to see is it as just one of the many tools you will need for sustainable weight loss. I spoke to a dietician about portion sizes and nutritional requirements and started weighing my food. I think this has been the most significant step I've made and I would definitely suggest it. I also started to kind of love and I'm active 4-5 times a week for about an hour, burning about 500 calories each time (I have HRM monitor).

I have a drs. appointment this coming Wednesday and I probably won't be getting any more pills. Three months is generally the maximum time these tablets are prescribed, and even if she did offer me more I don't think I need them at this point.
  • LImom40
    LImom40 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I have been on phentermine for since the beginning of April. The first couple days it did cause dry mouth and some jitters but any side effects have all subsided. I take it in the morning with my vitamins. There are some days that I do forget without any issues. There weren't any withdrawals and I don't binge because I didn't take it for the day or sometimes days at a time.

I had about 110 pounds to lose and I am down 57 as of this morning. I don't credit the pills for all of my success though. I measure and track everything that I eat and excersise almost daily.

I have tried so many "diets" over the past decade and I would be up and down like a yo yo. Finally, I turned to a medical doctor to try and understand why nothing worked for me. We went through the a thorough screening with EKGS and blood work. Besides being obese, I had no major health issues (yet). I was also monitored weekly in the beginning and as of two weeks ago, it is monthly check ups.

In my opinion, this pill was just there to help me realize that I needed a true lifestyle change not a diet. I was a foodaholic. I needed an "end game" on how to live my life without obsessing on how much or how little to eat.

While it may not be for everyone, I am now on a plant-based diet. I know that even after I reach goal and stop taking the pills, I can stay a healthy weight. Besides losing weight, my new way of eating has had so many unexpected health benefits. Better skin, no more heartburn or stomach issues, allergies are better and almost non-existent most days without medications, etc.

This is definitely something between you and your doctor, but it was the right beginning step for me. Good luck on your journey!
  • NZblue
    NZblue Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    Hi lovely. I felt a bit like my doctor threw this at me. I didn't want the quick fix solution. I went to him because I was gaining like crazy whilst trying to lose. =) (Even using MFP.) I never picked up the prescription. He wasn't listening to me. And I was right.

My issue was liver/pill related, and once I came off the pill, the weight stopped piling on. If you see my profile pic, the only change (I was already tracking and having a positive healthy lifestyle) was that I stopped the pill. The middle pic is me now. I've been maintaining for a little, but I'm okay, because I'm not longer gaining. This week, I'm back to trying to lose.

I'd recommend if you are not a big eater, then don't bother. xox But that's from my own experience! xox

Clean eating is what does it for me. So maintainable!
  • ColinsMommaOC
    ColinsMommaOC Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    I took them for a couple months. The DR had me on 1/2 pills and 1 full pill of Fluoxotine (sp?). When I was sitting around my limbs would vibrate and twitch. I could hardly focus. Oh, and I was so exhausted because I couldnt sleep that I could hardly function. But good luck to you.
  • momasox
    momasox Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    I tried them but the side effects were just too much for me. Agitation, irritability, just all around crabby. It was awful. I couldn't sleep even if I had no caffeine and took it at 5am. I hate that jittery feeling. Have you had blood work done to rule out any other reason for you not losing weight?
  • mangrothian
    mangrothian Posts: 1,351 Member
    Options
    Phentermine is meant for people who are in the morbidly obese / obese III weight range - at 185lbs and 5'2, you'd need to put on another 35lbs before you were close to that range, so I still don't think your dr should be prescribing it to you.

That being said, I was put on Phentermine about 3 years ago. Highest dose for the full 3 month course, with the last month's dose used to wean me off over about 10 weeks. I wasn't mentally ready (and that is not the same as just wanting to lose weight), and all the weight I lost went back on plus about 20kgs more.

Can you lose weight with it? Definitely. Does it teach you good habits? Absolutely not. As long as you're doing everything right on the food end (and in the end if you're not losing now, then you're not doing it right), it has the potential to be a helpful addition to your diet and exercise regime.

My personal experience is that the pro's of the drug don't outweigh the cons. I'd rather take an extra 3 months of eating at a deficit than go through the sleeplessness and jitteryness the meds bring. The worst part was the damn dry-mouth; I could never drink enough water. I was always thirsty. I took to carrying around a 2L water bottle everywhere and almost made myself sick from drinking too much water.

You may take it and be one of the lucky few that has no side effects; if so, then kudos to you. Honestly, the discomfort you put up with would be better put towards an extra mile of running, or some extra squats and lifting ;)
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!