EXCESS SUGAR CAUSES OBESITY-MUST READ!

Options

Replies

• ExRelaySprinter
    ExRelaySprinter Posts: 874 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    Hornsby wrote: »
    In the simplest of questions....IF sugar causes a person to be obese, how is everyone who eats sugar not obese? Does anyone else not see the lack of logic?

Exactly this^^. Lol
    I eat loads of sugary foods, always have done and i've never been obese.
  • auntstephie321
    auntstephie321 Posts: 3,586 Member
    Options
    auddii wrote: »
    data.jpg

this may be my favorite thing today!
  • MoiAussi93
    MoiAussi93 Posts: 1,948 Member
    Options

"Alan's Blog" is not a peer reviewed medical journal. This guy's main claim to fame seems to be that he writes for Men's Health magazine and has a book of his own that he likes to promote. He's not even a scientist or a medical doctor.
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    kgeyser wrote: »
    Lustig is trying to claim the lack of calorie absorption is due to fiber, therefore a calorie is not a calorie.

He has to do this otherwise he has to condemn fruit for its sugar content, and condemning fruit is like shredding kittens.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,966 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    MoiAussi93 wrote: »
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    I've seen lots of Lustig-bashing here but never any evidence that he's a quack. Links please? Apply the usual standards to the quality of sources.

Links that says he is a quack? No. Links that disprove damn near everything he has said/written? yes.

Here is one.
    http://sweetenerstudies.com/sites/default/files/resources/files/Scientific-Review-of-Lustigs-Fat-Chance.pdf

So you give us something published by the Corn Refiner's Association? Seriously? Using something published by a trade association to discredit a scientist whose conclusions are damaging to their industry is not very credible.

Ever hear of an obvious conflict of interest?

Is that like Coke sponsoring scientists to promote the message that people needn't drink less soda, but just exercise more?
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    excessive amounts of sugar contribute to the problem because sugar is calorie dense and thus contribute to over consuming energy. It is very easy to over eat "junk" foods.

I used to drink quite a bit of soda and it definitely contributed to my being overweight...because it was a *kitten* ton of calories on top of everything else I was eating...cutting back helped me lose weight because it reduced my over all energy consumption...I eat sugar still, though in less quantity...which helps regulate my energy consumption...but it's still sugar and I'm about 12% BF.
  • yarwell
    Options
    So you give us something published by the Corn Refiner's Association? Seriously? Using something published by a trade association to discredit a scientist whose conclusions are damaging to their industry is not very credible.

"MARK KERN, PHD, RD, CSSD,
    PROFESSOR OF EXERCISE AND NUTRITIONAL
    SCIENCES AT SAN DIEGO STATE UNIVERSITY"

wrote the review. Is it deficient ?
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    He seems to be playing fast and lose with terminology:
    Fiber. You eat 160 calories in almonds, but you absorb only 130. The fiber in the almonds delays absorption of calories into the bloodstream, delivering those calories to the bacteria in your intestine, which chew them up. Because a calorie is not a calorie.

The study he cited says:
    RESULTS:
    The energy content of almonds in the human diet was found to be 4.6 ± 0.8 kcal/g, which is equivalent to 129 kcal/28-g serving. This is significantly less than the energy density of 6.0-6.1 kcal/g as determined by the Atwater factors, which is equivalent to an energy content of 168-170 kcal/serving. The Atwater factors, when applied to almonds, resulted in a 32% overestimation of their measured energy content.

Lustig is trying to claim the lack of calorie absorption is due to fiber, therefore a calorie is not a calorie. The study he cites states that the current method of determining the energy content of foods (Atwater method) may be flawed when measuring certain types of foods. So when he says "you eat 160 calories of almonds," he means that "you eat 160 calories (determined to be 160 by Atwater)," not that it's a true 160 calories, and then is trying to claim that the 130 is the result of a calorie not being a calorie; the study says the 130 comes from the Atwater method calculations being off.

I think that's a good point about fiber though. I read on these forums all the time that a calorie is a calorie and a carb is a carb. But it's not true when the subject is weight control. It's important to know the difference between how many calories a food contains from tests in a lab vs. how many your body is likely ingest and use.
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    excessive amounts of sugar contribute to the problem because sugar is calorie dense and thus contribute to over consuming energy. It is very easy to over eat "junk" foods.

I used to drink quite a bit of soda and it definitely contributed to my being overweight...because it was a *kitten* ton of calories on top of everything else I was eating...cutting back helped me lose weight because it reduced my over all energy consumption...I eat sugar still, though in less quantity...which helps regulate my energy consumption...but it's still sugar and I'm about 12% BF.

I agree here
    sugar dense foods are often high calorie in nature and therefore it's easy overeat and go over into excess
  • mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Options

"Alan's Blog" is not a peer reviewed medical journal. This guy's main claim to fame seems to be that he writes for Men's Health magazine and has a book of his own that he likes to promote. He's not even a scientist or a medical doctor.

Here's a good one. It even has a lot of science in it. http://anthonycolpo.com/why-you-cant-trust-the-abc-to-report-the-truth-about-diet-exercise-fat-loss/
  • MoiAussi93
    Options
    yarwell wrote: »

He's working for the sugar industry. That's what the Corn Refiner's Association is....they make sweeteners. Who is paying his bills...the sugar industry.
  • 20yearsyounger
    20yearsyounger Posts: 1,643 Member
    Options
    *sniff*, I ate 50g above my recommended sugar nearly every day for the last 11 months, and now someone is telling me I am going to regain all the weight I lost and become obese?
  • yarwell
    Options
    mccindy72 wrote: »

That's not peer reviewed science either, it's the blog of an asshat that I won't be visiting to add to his statistics.

• MoiAussi93
    Options

Here's a good one. It even has a lot of science in it. http://anthonycolpo.com/why-you-cant-trust-the-abc-to-report-the-truth-about-diet-exercise-fat-loss/

ANOTHER blog...from a guy selling books with names like "The Fat Loss Bible".

LOL!
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options
    Fiber. You eat 160 calories in almonds, but you absorb only 130. The fiber in the almonds delays absorption of calories into the bloodstream, delivering those calories to the bacteria in your intestine, which chew them up. Because a calorie is not a calorie.

The study he cited says:
    RESULTS:
    The energy content of almonds in the human diet was found to be 4.6 ± 0.8 kcal/g, which is equivalent to 129 kcal/28-g serving. This is significantly less than the energy density of 6.0-6.1 kcal/g as determined by the Atwater factors, which is equivalent to an energy content of 168-170 kcal/serving. The Atwater factors, when applied to almonds, resulted in a 32% overestimation of their measured energy content.

Lustig is trying to claim the lack of calorie absorption is due to fiber, therefore a calorie is not a calorie. The study he cites states that the current method of determining the energy content of foods (Atwater method) may be flawed when measuring certain types of foods. So when he says "you eat 160 calories of almonds," he means that "you eat 160 calories (determined to be 160 by Atwater)," not that it's a true 160 calories, and then is trying to claim that the 130 is the result of a calorie not being a calorie; the study says the 130 comes from the Atwater method calculations being off.

I think that's a good point about fiber though. I read on these forums all the time that a calorie is a calorie and a carb is a carb. But it's not true when the subject is weight control. It's important to know the difference between how many calories a food contains from tests in a lab vs. how many your body is likely ingest and use.

How many calories a food contains in a lab is thankfully an upper limit, so if anything you'd get less calories than it says, so that really can't be the problem with carbs now.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options

The study he cited says:
    RESULTS:

How many calories a food contains in a lab is thankfully an upper limit, so if anything you'd get less calories than it says, so that really can't be the problem with carbs now.

Upper limit, yes, of course. Not sure what you mean by "the problem with carbs now".
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options

ANOTHER blog...from a guy selling books with names like "The Fat Loss Bible".

LOL!

No one is posting science because there is a lot to debunk. Not sure why you feel you need peer reviewed science to debunk a Huffington Post article, but to each his own.

As I asked earlier, IF sugar causes obesity, how come people lose weight and others aren't obese while eating sugar? If you can answer that simple question, I will concede.
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options

The study he cited says:
    RESULTS:

Upper limit, yes, of course. Not sure what you mean by "the problem with carbs now".
    "Carbs make us obese!!" can't be because of the difference in what calories it has in a lab vs. what our body can use.
  • yarwell
    Options
    yarwell wrote: »

He's working for the sugar industry. That's what the Corn Refiner's Association is....they make sweeteners. Who is paying his bills...the sugar industry.

In what way is the piece deficient ? The conflict of interest is apparent, but that doesn't mean he made the whole thing up. His day job appears to be at a University, would he want to make stuff up for a few bucks and trash his reputation ?

Everyone has an axe to grind one way or the other, Lustig and the Corn Refiners Association are both financially conflicted. The truth should be visible in the analysis.

Personally I find Lustig weak on evidence for his position but there's a thread of logic in the effect of fructose being somewhat different to other carbohydrates.
  • FitOldMomma
    FitOldMomma Posts: 790 Member
    Options
    Simply put: if sugar was the reason for obesity, nearly everyone would be obese.
    Yes, there are weird instances where the actual caloric number given may be incorrect (like with some cooled and recooked starches) but it simply is NOT the reason people become fat. It is in nearly every single case: Calories in, calories out. That's science.
This discussion has been closed.