Ensure Plus works!

Options

Replies

• FatFreeFrolicking
    FatFreeFrolicking Posts: 4,252 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    sharhealth wrote: »
    Ok...I am in hospital for anorexia...they use this as a sort of punishment if you decide you can not complete your meals here. It is absolutely disgusting.

You're in the hospital for anorexia but on a calorie-counting website?

Talk about counterproductive.

fyi: You're on the GAINING forum.

FYI: No reputable professional who works with ED patients would EVER recommend a calorie-counting website to their patient. It doesn't matter that gaining weight is part of recovery. Gaining weight is the easy part. A calorie-counting website does not help the mental part. Counting calories is triggering for many anorexics and leads them to become more obsessive.

@Angelfire365 This is why it's counterproductive.

What does that have to do with what a particular individual would use the site for?

Seriously? I already answered that… But I'll try to explain once again.

You don't need to use a calorie-counting website to gain weight. Did you use MFP when you gained all of your (unwanted) weight? I don't think so. Neither did most of the people here. It's very easy to gain weight without counting calories. While anorexics need to gain weight, they can do it perfectly fine without excessively entering their food consumption into a food diary on the internet.

People with eating disorders thrive off of being in control of their food intake. They obsess over calories. They obsess over portions. They obsess over every aspect of food.

Counting calories, even for recovery/weight gain, keeps this obsession alive. It feeds the unhealthy, dangerous thoughts and behaviors that come with anorexia.
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Options
    Ok...I am in hospital for anorexia...they use this as a sort of punishment if you decide you can not complete your meals here. It is absolutely disgusting.

FYI: No reputable professional who works with ED patients would EVER recommend a calorie-counting website to their patient. It doesn't matter that gaining weight is part of recovery. Gaining weight is the easy part. A calorie-counting website does not help the mental part. Counting calories is triggering for many anorexics and leads them to become more obsessive.

What does that have to do with what a particular individual would use the site for?

You don't need to use a calorie-counting website to gain weight. Did you use MFP when you gained all of your (unwanted) weight? I don't think so. Neither did most of the people here.It's very easy to gain weight without counting calories. While anorexics need to gain weight, they can do it perfectly fine without excessively entering their food consumption into a food diary on the internet.

People with eating disorders thrive off of being in control of their food intake. They obsess over calories. They obsess over portions. They obsess over every aspect of food.

Counting calories, even for recovery/weight gain, keeps this obsession alive. It feeds the unhealthy, dangerous thoughts and behaviors that come with anorexia.
    You might want to do my job, exercise, and extra activities and then make that statement. Not easy by your standards.

• FatFreeFrolicking
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Chieflrg wrote: »

You don't need to use a calorie-counting website to gain weight. Did you use MFP when you gained all of your (unwanted) weight? I don't think so. Neither did most of the people here.It's very easy to gain weight without counting calories. While anorexics need to gain weight, they can do it perfectly fine without excessively entering their food consumption into a food diary on the internet.

You might want to do my job, exercise, and extra activities and then make that statement. Not easy by your standards.

That's because you're active. Considering we have an obesity epidemic, most people are not as active as you.

Also, I was referring anorexics when I made that statement.
  • sharhealth
    sharhealth Posts: 20 Member
    Options

How is that counter productive? If she's got a set amount of calories she needs to eat a day for recovery, would a calorie counting website not be helpful? There are threads and groups on MFP dedicated to people looking to gain weight.

Thank you! I am eating 3000 calories/day and logging it so I know I'm meeting my goals AND I was reading this thread in the GAINING WEIGHT group. Clearly FatFree perhaps should answer to the topic of discussion and not worry her mind on other people's journeys.

• CancerSurvivor2014
    CancerSurvivor2014 Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    I am here to gain weight. I ate a surplus of 3000 calories myself and "counted/logged" every one of them. As far as eating disorders I recently had one brought on by the treatments that killed my cancer. Point is that when you make broad statements like that which are wrong you are going to be called out on them.
  • Angelfire365
    Angelfire365 Posts: 803 Member
    Options

How is that counter productive? If she's got a set amount of calories she needs to eat a day for recovery, would a calorie counting website not be helpful? There are threads and groups on MFP dedicated to people looking to gain weight.

I find this hard to believe...

I know with the whole 'obesity epidemic' thing it's hard to believe that people actively want to gain weight, but there are many people who do for different reasons. Weight lifters looking to gain muscle mass, people with medical conditions who are chronically underweight, people recovering from eating disorders are just the ones I can think of off the top of my head. At the end of the day, we're all looking to be as healthy as we can, and we don't all have the same goals to get there. :smile:
  • Angelfire365
    Angelfire365 Posts: 803 Member
    Options

That does make sense. However, if she's in hospital I can only assume that she's being monitored; and as treatments for mental disorders would need to be as individual as the patients themselves, we don't know that her doctor didn't recommend something like MFP. Or that the friends and support that she's found on here hasn't helped her recovery more than the calorie counting has hindered it.

@sharhealth -> No worries girl. Take care of yourself!
  • CancerSurvivor2014
    CancerSurvivor2014 Posts: 111 Member
    Options

I find this hard to believe...

I know with the whole 'obesity epidemic' thing it's hard to believe that people actively want to gain weight, but there are many people who do for different reasons. Weight lifters looking to gain muscle mass, people with medical conditions who are chronically underweight, people recovering from eating disorders are just the ones I can think of off the top of my head. At the end of the day, we're all looking to be as healthy as we can, and we don't all have the same goals to get there. :smile:

well said
  • SarcasmIsMyLoveLanguage
    SarcasmIsMyLoveLanguage Posts: 2,671 Member
    Options
    senecarr wrote: »
    AsISmile wrote: »
    I ended up drinking milkshakes from Milsa (Aldi brand) instead. Way tastier and way cheaper. Not as many calories, but plenty of protein. (And that is what my dietician wanted me to work on)
    milkshake_big_9411.jpg

Did you note an increase in young males appearing on your property's outskirts?
    ROFL you're aging yourself here.
    Also, now I have that song in my head, darn you.

• leslisa
    leslisa Posts: 1,350 Member
    Options

My son's a LD runner (50 - 60 miles a week). He lifts. He surfs. He gets good grades (maintaining a healthy weight makes your brain work more effectively). He uses Boost Very High Calorie Nutrition Beverages, Very Vanilla, 8 Ounce. Only one for 530 calories and only have to choke down 8oz at a time. Also, since they are juice box size they travel more easily and he can drink them more discretely. At home he puts them in the freezer and chugs just before it freezes. And gaining weight really isn't a joke. He's got medical issues that sometimes cause him to lose a considerable amount of weight and he doesn't want to have to stop doing what he loves. Things like Ensure Plus and the Boost are lifesavers - literally. Although he definitely prefers the Boost.
  • sharhealth
    sharhealth Posts: 20 Member
    Options

That does make sense. However, if she's in hospital I can only assume that she's being monitored; and as treatments for mental disorders would need to be as individual as the patients themselves, we don't know that her doctor didn't recommend something like MFP. Or that the friends and support that she's found on here hasn't helped her recovery more than the calorie counting has hindered it.

@sharhealth -> No worries girl. Take care of yourself!

Thanks - and yes I'm am being closely monitored every step of this process. My friends on MFP have been so wonderful and SUPER supportive.
  • Karen_can_do_this
    Karen_can_do_this Posts: 1,150 Member
    Options
    Ensure is what we feed our peg fed residents - I work in a nursing home.
    Also on a side note, it is amaze balls for producing breast milk. My midwife recommended it.
    I know that when I start to bulk I'll be drinking it.

• kohabby
    kohabby Posts: 20 Member
    Options

Wtf..gaining weight is what we are discussing..your in the wrong place @FatFreeFrolicking gezZuz
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    These ingredients are horrifying. :s

Water, Corn Maltodextrin, Sugar, Milk Protein Concentrate, Canola Oil, Corn Oil, Soy Protein Isolate, Cocoa Powder (Processed with Alkali). Less than 0.5% of the Following: Potassium Citrate, Magnesium Phosphate, Whey Protein Concentrate, Natural & Artificial Flavor, Sodium Citrate, Soy Lecithin, Calcium Phosphate, Potassium Chloride, Choline Chloride, Ascorbic Acid, Salt, Carrageenan, Potassium Hydroxide, Ferric Phosphate, dl-Alpha-Tocopheryl Acetate, Zinc Sulfate, Niacinamide, Manganese Sulfate, Calcium Pantothenate, Cupric Sulfate, Vitamin A Palmitate, Thiamine Chloride Hydrochloride, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Riboflavin, Chromium Chloride, Folic Acid, Biotin, Sodium Molybdate, Sodium Selenate, Potassium Iodide, Cyanocobalamin, Phylloquinone, and Vitamin D3.

O...k...? Do you actually know what they are? Or do you just mean they're big, scary-sounding words?
  • violabec
    violabec Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Honestly, I never hope to *ever* be presented with ensure plus, boost plus, whatever again. I used to get a years supply at a time (something like 50 cases) dropped off at our doorstep all at once (yay Canada!). So, I really don't think I could stomach another one. Like, ever.
    That being said, they were extremely helpful in my recovery from my ED. I used to freeze them ... sometimes absolutely solid (and they would take awhile to eat) and at other times so just slushy. Well, that was back in the day.
  • peanutk81
    peanutk81 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    violabec wrote: »
    Honestly, I never hope to *ever* be presented with ensure plus, boost plus, whatever again. I used to get a years supply at a time (something like 50 cases) dropped off at our doorstep all at once (yay Canada!). So, I really don't think I could stomach another one. Like, ever.
    That being said, they were extremely helpful in my recovery from my ED. I used to freeze them ... sometimes absolutely solid (and they would take awhile to eat) and at other times so just slushy. Well, that was back in the day.

I agree. Although the ingredients are not in my list of normal items to eat they are super helpful for those recovering from EDs. They also contain lots of nutrients and vitamins. I am breastfeeding my son and desperately trying to even maintain my weight as he's taking so much from me. Even with over 3200 cal per day I'm still just hanging in there. I suffered years ago from anorexia and now as an adult I eat lots but I only eat very healthy foods and restrict myself. With the care of
    My GP, a dietitian and a psychologist I am well on my way to a successful recovery. I actually LOVE the taste of ensure and I made a shake with fruit in the blender and freeze them. Those who have never had the disease may not understand what others are going through and although the ingredients are not all natural they are required for those in situations where they need the nutrients and need to gain weight and simply cannot consume any more food. It took me a LONG time to be able to drink one but once I had it I remembered how good they were and that it was my medicine and I needed to take it for the good of myself and my son. I look forward to them now and they have helped me mentally and physically in my journey. Remember be easy to judge. This is a gaining forum and many are suffering from EDs. It's a very tricky disease to overcome. People need support from others. Thx!
  • Karen_can_do_this
    Karen_can_do_this Posts: 1,150 Member
    Options
    peanutk81 wrote: »
    violabec wrote: »

I agree. Although the ingredients are not in my list of normal items to eat they are super helpful for those recovering from EDs. They also contain lots of nutrients and vitamins. I am breastfeeding my son and desperately trying to even maintain my weight as he's taking so much from me. Even with over 3200 cal per day I'm still just hanging in there. I suffered years ago from anorexia and now as an adult I eat lots but I only eat very healthy foods and restrict myself. With the care of
    My GP, a dietitian and a psychologist I am well on my way to a successful recovery. I actually LOVE the taste of ensure and I made a shake with fruit in the blender and freeze them. Those who have never had the disease may not understand what others are going through and although the ingredients are not all natural they are required for those in situations where they need the nutrients and need to gain weight and simply cannot consume any more food. It took me a LONG time to be able to drink one but once I had it I remembered how good they were and that it was my medicine and I needed to take it for the good of myself and my son. I look forward to them now and they have helped me mentally and physically in my journey. Remember be easy to judge. This is a gaining forum and many are suffering from EDs. It's a very tricky disease to overcome. People need support from others. Thx!

Omg! I want to give you a big hug! Congrats on working your way through your disease!
  • FatFreeFrolicking
    Options
    kohabby wrote: »

Wtf..gaining weight is what we are discussing..your in the wrong place @FatFreeFrolicking gezZuz

@kohabby Right... Telling someone with an ED that MFP can be triggering is sooooo wrong. You obviously don't understand. *eyeroll*
  • bryanna277
    bryanna277 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    senecarr wrote: »
    AsISmile wrote: »
    I ended up drinking milkshakes from Milsa (Aldi brand) instead. Way tastier and way cheaper. Not as many calories, but plenty of protein. (And that is what my dietician wanted me to work on)
    milkshake_big_9411.jpg

Did you note an increase in young males appearing on your property's outskirts?

Lmfao that was great!!!! :lol: