Any advice on slimming down calves?

Options
I tried to find posts relating to this, but failed.

I have large calves, partly from muscle, partly from fat. I will most likely always have larger than average calves; my whole family tends to have larger legs. I also have problems with circulation and varicose veins (I have already had some treatment for this, but my legs still swell.) I am not delusional, and I know that I am not going to be able to slim them down to normal sized calves (I will still always have to buy wide calf boots. Oh well.)

I know that losing weight will help slim down my calves, and I am in the process of doing just that--losing weight, getting healthier. I know that reducing sodium, upping potassium, and a healthy diet will help with swelling and retaining fluids in my calves.

I am using a stationary bicycle 4-5 times a week for 40-60 mins each session. Which can build calf muscles up.

I was wondering if anyone had any tips, or know of any low impact exercises that can help reduce calf size?

Sorry for the long winded post, and thank you in advance.

Replies

• jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    The world is pretty much made up of big-calved and small-calved people. It is difficult to switch from one group to the other. You can work on losing fat, as you already said, but actually getting your muscles to atrophy is difficult and (completely my opinion) silly. Enjoy your big calves. Continue to work on your overall fitness and they will be big shapely calves, which are great.
  • IsaackGMOON
    IsaackGMOON Posts: 3,358 Member
    Options
    You can't spot reduce fat. You have to lose weight everywhere.
  • VegasFit
    VegasFit Posts: 1,232 Member
    Options
    I've always had big calves although as I have lost weight they have slimmed down. Now I just think of them as strong and accept them and I've never really been a fan of boots anyways!
  • senecarr
    senecarr Posts: 5,377 Member
    Options
    Fork put downs and table push aways are generally the most you can do about fat, and you're never going to lose fat from a specific area of your choosing (unless you're paying a plastic surgeon).
    As for the idea of getting rid of actual muscle? I mean its you're body and you can do what you want, but for some reason the sentence "want to lose muscle" doesn't make full sense to me. I guess take the elevator more and stairs less? Keep your foot rigid when you walk?
  • BlahUnderpants
    BlahUnderpants Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    jemhh wrote: »
    The world is pretty much made up of big-calved and small-calved people. It is difficult to switch from one group to the other. You can work on losing fat, as you already said, but actually getting your muscles to atrophy is difficult and (completely my opinion) silly. Enjoy your big calves. Continue to work on your overall fitness and they will be big shapely calves, which are great.

I don't mind my calves except the fact it is sooo hard to find boots that fit. My calves are the size of some people's thighs (mind you, I do know some pretty thin people.) Pants can also be an issue at times.

• BlahUnderpants
    Options

Yes, I realize this, but there are exercises that are better for toning certain areas. So I would start to incorporate them into my life.

I suppose I should have phrased my question as such "What exercises are there to help tone my calves?"
  • jemhh
    Options

I don't mind my calves except the fact it is sooo hard to find boots that fit. My calves are the size of some people's thighs (mind you, I do know some pretty thin people.) Pants can also be an issue at times.

My husband has giant calves that he has admitted to thinking are too big. Nonsense, I say :). I have skinny calves. He bought me a pair of boots for Christmas, not realizing that they were wide calf boots. I entertained him by demonstrating how I could shove my entire arm down the boot next to my calf. I exchanged them for regulars and could still shove my arm down there if I really tried.
  • senecarr
    edited August 2015
    Options

Yes, I realize this, but there are exercises that are better for toning certain areas. So I would start to incorporate them into my life.

I suppose I should have phrased my question as such "What exercises are there to help tone my calves?"
    Toning isn't a thing.
    You have two things that can change the volume in a body area: the amount of fat, and the amount of muscle.
    If you gain fat, some might go to your calves. If you lose fat, some might come from your calves.
    If you do more exercises of the calves, the muscles there will grow. If you avoid using your calves, the muscle might atrophy.
  • jemhh
    Options
    senecarr wrote: »

Toning isn't a thing.
    You have two things that can the volume in a body area: the amount of fat, and the amount of muscle.
    If you gain fat, some might go to your calves. If you lose fat, some might come from your calves.
    If you do more exercises of the calves, the muscles there will grow. If you avoid using your calves, the muscle might atrophy.

This. So your options are to lose fat and/or to start walking on your hands instead of your feet.
  • Giolis
    Giolis Posts: 1,204 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately, "toning" is a made up word. You either have muscle or you don't. Muscle is muscle. No such thing as lean muscle either.

See the tread below:

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10229692/toning-is-a-deception/p1
  • senecarr
    Options

Toning isn't a thing.
    You have two things that can the volume in a body area: the amount of fat, and the amount of muscle.

This. So your options are to lose fat and/or to start walking on your hands instead of your feet.
    Let's be sensible here. She could buy shoes that lock her ankle and walk by using mainly hip motion.
    I've found having my calves stay at over 18" while going from 285 to 196 so far means I'm not buying skinny leg jeans. Heck, unless I want a really baggy waist look, I'm not wearing regular leg jeans. I can live with that. Plenty of people out there wish they could grow their calves and can't seem to make that happen.
  • BlahUnderpants
    Options

My husband has giant calves that he has admitted to thinking are too big. Nonsense, I say :). I have skinny calves. He bought me a pair of boots for Christmas, not realizing that they were wide calf boots. I entertained him by demonstrating how I could shove my entire arm down the boot next to my calf. I exchanged them for regulars and could still shove my arm down there if I really tried.

I know some people that can do that. Haha. I am only jealous because you get the pick of the boots you want. I have limited choice. I also have slightly large feet, so that narrows my options even more. >.<
  • senecarr
    Options

I know some people that can do that. Haha. I am only jealous because you get the pick of the boots you want. I have limited choice. I also have slightly large feet, so that narrows my options even more. >.<
    I have extremely wide feet. I gave up on normal shoes and just wear five-fingers all the time.
  • gillian_nalletamby
    gillian_nalletamby Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    As well as focusing on your diet, I would also incorporate cardio into your routine like walking (if jogging is too much) and classes like Body Attack. I would not do any weights that specifically target your calves.
  • BlahUnderpants
    edited August 2015
    Options
    Giolis wrote: »
    Unfortunately, "toning" is a made up word. You either have muscle or you don't. Muscle is muscle. No such thing as lean muscle either.

See the tread below:

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10229692/toning-is-a-deception/p1

In my mind, "toning" is building muscle. So maybe that isn't the best choice of words either. So exercises that that build calf muscles would be fine.

I guess I will just stick to cycling and add in come calf lifts or something.
  • slinke2014
    slinke2014 Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    My only advice would hit up Macys just before spring. They have HUGE boot sales so you can try a bunch on. Even "wide calf" boots don't fit me most of the time so I have to try all the biggest looking ones to find ones that fit. I have the dreaded cankle where boots, even most wide calf ones, don't zip up more than an inch. Acceptance is all you can do.
  • gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,598 Member
    Options
    there ain't much you can do about your hereditary shape, though you CAN lose fat all over including in the calves.

I had to respond just because of your username. lol. Beware the underpants gnomes.
  • BlahUnderpants
    Options
    gothchiq wrote: »
    there ain't much you can do about your hereditary shape, though you CAN lose fat all over including in the calves.

I had to respond just because of your username. lol. Beware the underpants gnomes.

That is what I am trying to do. :)

I knew at least once person would come because of the name.
  • BlahUnderpants
    Options

I have extremely wide feet. I gave up on normal shoes and just wear five-fingers all the time.

I can usually wear regular wide, though they are tight. But I wear 12/13 in womens and, while not the largest size out there, can be difficult to find.
  • gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,598 Member
    Options
    And if you want help looking online for wide calf boots, message me and I'll try and help. I know a LOT of shoe and boot places... most goths have a ridiculously huge footwear wardrobe. XD