is this healthy?

Options
13»

Replies

• Kimegatron
    Kimegatron Posts: 772 Member
    Options
    My step sister has an eating disorder. She barely eats, maybe a few triscuits or a piece of toast. She looks skeletal since the last time I saw her, a few years ago. She's covered in bruises, and has dark sunken eyes. She used to be beautiful, and healthy, and thin, but she's like... horrifically thin. I don't have a relationship with her, and I have a hard time wanting to even be around her. My dad and step mom have a hard time being around her, even, because she won't try to be healthy for my nephew and niece(infant), although they do babysit all of the time. Your health can effect everyone around you, is what I'm trying to get at. Maybe a good therapist will help.
  • Allthaatgliitters
    Allthaatgliitters Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    rosebette wrote: »
    My goodness. Did he have to stay in hospital a long time before you brought him home?

exactly 5 months!! we were super lucky, he came home 3 days before christmas and turned one a fortnight ago! off oxygen at 9 months and no problems yet :) obvs delayed but hes a healthy little boy :D
  • laur357
    laur357 Posts: 896 Member
    Options
    In this instance, you may need to talk to a professional counselor and nutritionist (or start with your doctor - she can run some bloodwork to see if you're anemic or deficient in certain areas). As others have said, it sounds like you're experiencing symptoms of malnourishment, and you need to regain your health.
    As a start while you're waiting for appointments, would you try eating socially with your little one? Prepare some baby-friendly veggies - like peas, avocado, sweet potatoes, carrots, greens, bananas. You eat some whole veggies and puree some fresh baby food for your little guy? You can start eating together and both get the health benefits of the fruits and veggies. And bond and build habits for sharing mealtimes in the future.
  • dubird
    dubird Posts: 1,849 Member
    Options
    There's lots of quick things you can have that would help. And despite what some dieters would say, you can add quick processed meals into that. You need to pay attention to what's in them, but even just getting the cut fruit packs from the grocery store would be useful. It might be worth your time to talk to a nutritionist and work stuff out. Maybe schedule eating times during the day where you actually grab something planned ahead of time? I dunno, just making some suggestions. You need veggies and protein in your diet; carbs aren't evil, but a diet with just carbs means you're missing a LOT of nutrition your body needs to survive.
  • pooks1976
    pooks1976 Posts: 22 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    The nutritional value of what you are eating is pretty lacking. I agree with the idea of picking up some precut (easy) fruits and veggies at the grocery store. That way grabbing something out of the fridge is as simple as grabbing a cracker. Also getting some lean protein. Good Luck!
  • lastfarewell
    lastfarewell Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Cheese and beans on toast? How about a salad with fresh veggies and some protein such as chicken, egg, or fish? Yes, you will get sick and feel weak eating like that.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    dubird wrote: »
    There's lots of quick things you can have that would help. And despite what some dieters would say, you can add quick processed meals into that. You need to pay attention to what's in them, but even just getting the cut fruit packs from the grocery store would be useful. It might be worth your time to talk to a nutritionist and work stuff out. Maybe schedule eating times during the day where you actually grab something planned ahead of time? I dunno, just making some suggestions. You need veggies and protein in your diet; carbs aren't evil, but a diet with just carbs means you're missing a LOT of nutrition your body needs to survive.

This. I'm worried about you, OP, and wondering if part of this might be depression too, as you've been going through a lot and it sounds like you are maybe alone more than you'd like. Apologies if I'm assuming too much.

A dietitian is not a bad idea at all, and getting precut fruits and veggies would be a start. Or some of those spinach in a bag. Whatever makes it seem easy and doable. Maybe some rice and beans packages and (ideally) some other source of protein like chicken or tuna or lean ground beef (if you eat meat).
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options
    Get to your GP OP, you have a lot going on and I think your diet is just symptomatic of it. My diet turns to absolute crud when depressed and I have to make sure to have aforementioned quick and easy fruit and veg available so I'm not eating too terribly. Even something as simple as adding some sliced banana to your toast with Nutella would be a start and a good way to add 100 calories to your day instantly.

Things to mention to your GP, your diet, your pretty rapid weight loss, your feeling isolated. They may be able to recommend some mother and baby groups, perhaps even a preemie specific one. Just please seek help, I think you're too deep to tackle this alone.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,898 Member
    Options
    Get to your GP OP, you have a lot going on and I think your diet is just symptomatic of it. My diet turns to absolute crud when depressed and I have to make sure to have aforementioned quick and easy fruit and veg available so I'm not eating too terribly. Even something as simple as adding some sliced banana to your toast with Nutella would be a start and a good way to add 100 calories to your day instantly.

Things to mention to your GP, your diet, your pretty rapid weight loss, your feeling isolated. They may be able to recommend some mother and baby groups, perhaps even a preemie specific one. Just please seek help, I think you're too deep to tackle this alone.

I was wondering about depression as well.

I like the idea of mother and baby groups to reduce the isolation.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    Hiya, i am 5ft 1in and weigh 7st 8lbs. I managed to drop from 9st 8lbs after having my son however im not sure whether i did it healthily. I try and eat less than 1200 calories a day, ideally 1000 calories or less. I literally only eat breakfast biscuits, sandwich thins, crumpet thins or bagel thins with nutella/biscoff spread. That is it, no other variety except maybe a few times a month when my boyfriend is here.
    It obviously worked in helping me lose weight but i always have a horrid taste in my mouth, tons of unexplained bruising on my legs, always tired etc.
    I do no exercise at all.

you need to net 1200 calories, period. The reason that you are tired and have unexplained bruising is lack of calories and possible malnutrition, as I don't see how you are hitting micronutrients on the foods you listed.
  • shadowfax_c11
    shadowfax_c11 Posts: 1,942 Member
    Options
    Your child deserves to have a mom who has the energy to play with him and who will be around for him for years. Especially so since he has developmental issues. He is going to need you to be strong and healthy for a long time. You have a serious problem with your diet which is going to significantly reduce your ability to give your child what he needs from a mom. One that you really should seek help for. A dietician would be a very good idea if you have access to that sort of thing.
  • Kimegatron
    Kimegatron Posts: 772 Member
    Options
    Your child deserves to have a mom who has the energy to play with him and who will be around for him for years. Especially so since he has developmental issues. He is going to need you to be strong and healthy for a long time. You have a serious problem with your diet which is going to significantly reduce your ability to give your child what he needs from a mom. One that you really should seek help for. A dietician would be a very good idea if you have access to that sort of thing.

^^Totally agree. Mine is going to be 3 in December. I have lower energy, and am way slower and in more pain than my fiance (he's fit as a fiddle), and I hate that I rely on him to chase after our daughter. I still can, but not as quick response as him. Trust me, OP, you need that energy for your baby! If you can't have the energy now, you sure won't when he's a bit older.
  • BlackPup
    BlackPup Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    Your body weight is currently healthy you do not need to lose weight. If you want to tone your muscles eat at maintainance with adequate protein and exercise.
  • azulvioleta6
    azulvioleta6 Posts: 4,196 Member
    Options
    i dont think its an eating disorder as im fine eating normal with my bf but i only see him a few days a month. Eating is very social for me and i have no friends or family where i live, literally just me and baba, so i just stick to my usual quick easy things.
    i do see what you are saying though

You don't feel worthy of eating a real meal on your own, but you will do it if other people are around?

That concerns me a lot.

You've been through a traumatic and stressful experience with your baby and it sounds like you don't have much emotional support. You will physically feel better pretty quickly if you start including protein and vegetables in your diet, but it seems like you might have some deeper emotional challenges that aren't going to be so easy to fix. Understandably so--you have been through a lot.

Seeing your GP for a physical checkup and a referral for some counseling or support really is a good idea.

As a short-term goal, what about aiming to make yourself one full meal a day? Bagged salad or veg, a chicken breast, some brown rice or pilaf--something like that is a pretty simple but complete meal. Quick or pre-chopped/prepped things are fine to get you started. You don't really have to cook in order to have a healthy diet--assembling pre-made elements will work.