HELP! BMR and TDEE

Options
2»

Replies

• BWBTrish
    BWBTrish Posts: 2,817 Member
    Options
    When i go out and eat a dinner or buffet or a party i can gain 6 pounds overnight....And for sure i dont eat 6x3500 above my maintenance level

It is all water weight....other food/salty foods etc. You lose this very quickly most people in the following days. For me it takes about a week like the last time. lol But i lose a bit more.
    27th of july to 28th i had a party, gained 6.6 pounds overnight.
    Lost it all by the 4th of August plus a pound more.

as long as you dont eat 3500 SURPLUS, so above maintenance.. than you didn't really gain weight/fat. Just a major fluctuation which is normal.
    Take a deep breath and move on you lose it quick :)
  • 2009jewellz
    2009jewellz Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    here are my stats.

Age 48 female, 218 lbs. 5'6 height
  • 2009jewellz
    Options
    Hey Curlyblue.lets help each other. I sent you a friend request. Looks like we on similar paths.
  • curlyblue21
    curlyblue21 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Yeah great idea, I get so confused about all these technical terms and I am so impatient! It seems such a long process getting to goal and I am beginning to get bored so I keep trying different weight loss ideas, which is really not helping but I can't help it! I'm actually beginning to get on my own nerves
  • mantium999
    mantium999 Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    Yeah great idea, I get so confused about all these technical terms and I am so impatient! It seems such a long process getting to goal and I am beginning to get bored so I keep trying different weight loss ideas, which is really not helping but I can't help it! I'm actually beginning to get on my own nerves

You didn't put on the weight quickly, you won't lose it quickly. Often times the simple solution is the easiest. Don't clutter your brain with outliers. Consume less than you expend, while eating a balanced and varied diet and you will be healthy, happy, and will progressively drop pounds. It really is that easy.
  • 2009jewellz
    Options
    Oh my goodness Curlyblue, you sound like someone I know. ME!
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    BWBTrish wrote: »
    When i go out and eat a dinner or buffet or a party i can gain 6 pounds overnight....And for sure i dont eat 6x3500 above my maintenance level

You eat and drink 6 lbs ?
  • BWBTrish
    Options
    gain water weight 6.6 pounds overnight
  • 555_FILK
    555_FILK Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    BWBTrish wrote: »
    gain water weight 6.6 pounds overnight

Where does all that water come from?
  • BWBTrish
    Options
    Good question if you know it i know it.
    But it does happen.

No i must say that i have some problems with sodium lol.... when i smell it i hold water rofl

But like woman who get their TOM..and gain so much...were from??? well when we know we could probably find a way to stop it.
  • 2009jewellz
    Options
    Anyone else with the understanding of BMR and TDEE?
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options

what else do you want to know?
  • CherylNTexas
    CherylNTexas Posts: 1,275 Member
    Options
    Here's my problem with bmr...it doesn't take into account metabolic rates. (Which are HUGELY different for different people.)
  • WBB55
    WBB55 Posts: 4,131 Member
    Options
    If your TDEE is estimated right now at 1896 and you want to lose 2 lbs per week, math says you need to increase your TDEE to 2200 every day and eat 1200.

This however might not be advisable depending upon many factors.

Since your BMR is estimated at 1496, it's likely you'll be very hungry if you eat an average of 1200 per day, so that is probably too low of a calorie goal. But it depends on other factors too.

What is it you want to know about BMR and TDEE?

• sixxpoint
    sixxpoint Posts: 3,529 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options

None of the advice given so far will matter if you calculated your TDEE wrong. Another factor will be the accuracy od weighing foods and logging calories.

What is your height, weight, age, gender, activity level, and bodyfat % so we can double-check your work?

You can get a basic idea of bodyfat % by using google images.

Activity Level:

Sedentary: desk job; couch potato, little or no exercise, or very inconsistent with exercise
    Lightly Active: light exercise/sports 2-3 days/week
    Moderately Active: moderate exercise/sports 3-5 days/week
    Very Active: hard exercise/sports 6-7 days a week
    Extra Active: athletes, very hard exercise/sports, demanding physical job
  • 2009jewellz
    Options
    Hey Six,

My stats:

5'6 height
    218Lbs
    48 years old
    Female
    Sedentary

Let me know the figures.

None of the advice given so far will matter if you calculated your TDEE wrong. Another factor will be the accuracy od weighing foods and logging calories.

What is your height, weight, age, gender, activity level, and bodyfat % so we can double-check your work?

You can get a basic idea of bodyfat % by using google images.

Activity Level:

Sedentary: desk job; couch potato, little or no exercise, or very inconsistent with exercise
    Lightly Active: light exercise/sports 2-3 days/week
    Moderately Active: moderate exercise/sports 3-5 days/week
    Very Active: hard exercise/sports 6-7 days a week
    Extra Active: athletes, very hard exercise/sports, demanding physical job[/quote]

• arb037
    arb037 Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    I show your BMR about 1641 kcal... your TDEE @ sedentary to be 1805 kcal. If you increase your activity to lightly active your TDEE goes to 2021 kcal.

If you wish to lose fat you need to eat below your TDEE, OR eat at your TDEE and create the deficit by exercise, like cardio and weight training.
  • sheldonklein
    sheldonklein Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    arb037 wrote: »
    I show your BMR about 1641 kcal... your TDEE @ sedentary to be 1805 kcal. If you increase your activity to lightly active your TDEE goes to 2021 kcal.

If you wish to lose fat you need to eat below your TDEE, OR eat at your TDEE and create the deficit by exercise, like cardio and weight training.

No. TDEE includes exercise. If you changed TDEE to NEAT, your statement would make sense. But, as someone said a few posts ago, there is no need to get caught up in this alphabet soup. Estimate how many calories you burn (TDEE). Eat less than that. Lose weight. It's that simple.
  • WBB55
    WBB55 Posts: 4,131 Member
    Options
    So most of the numbers people are giving are in the same ballpark. It sounds like if you add a couple miles of walking per day to bring your TDEE to about 2100 (and stay active by taking the stairs, shopping, gardening, etc.) and then eat 1500-1600* calories per day, that would equal about a pound per week loss at first. (If you are sedentary and don't exercise, then 1300-1400 would maybe make more sense.)

*But you'll need to recalibrate this number as you lose weight. Also, this is a flat 1600 per day. Sometimes people add back in more calories when they exercise. I don't know if you're interested in that or not. Also, this assumes you're accurate with your intake. A lot of people underestimate the calories they're eating. I suggest weighing food on a digital scale to be the most accurate.
  • arb037
    arb037 Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    arb037 wrote: »

No. TDEE includes exercise. If you changed TDEE to NEAT, your statement would make sense. But, as someone said a few posts ago, there is no need to get caught up in this alphabet soup. Estimate how many calories you burn (TDEE). Eat less than that. Lose weight. It's that simple.

Your reading comprehension is not my problem. TDEE= total daily energy expenditure. I never stated it was anything other than that. Including exercise, so not sure how you came to your statement. Perhaps re read my post then give an intelligent response before making silly comments.