Sit-ups daily or no?

Options
2»

Replies

• Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,209 Member
    Options
    wombleval wrote: »
    Sorry for butting in but what about planks ( including side planks)? Is it worth doing these? I do them on lower body day but are they achieving anything? Only able to do dumbbell squats and deadlifts so be worried not exercising core enough .

They can probably be done daily unless you get sore from them. But once you can do 30 seconds with ease, it gets a bit pointless. I'd focus on incorporating more exercises that involve your core, like the single-arm chest press, which can be done with resistance tubing. The shorter the stance with those, the more it works the core.
    a lot of the core muscle exercises I REALLY struggle with. I took some cross fit classes and learned some really good lifts and kettle bell exercises I am doing. But wouldn't sit ups help strengthen my core so I could do more of the core exercises? I mean it can't hurt right?

I would downshift to a program that's more your level. Try New Rules of Lifting for Life.
  • mhollencamp102012
    mhollencamp102012 Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    I will have to look those up (sorry missed them the 1st time) and yes I'm working on everything not just my Abs. Just trying to get stronger in general...I really have very poor muscles and flexibility and as I mentioned balance... I'm a mess lol cardio is hard (I have COPD) but I do a run/walk between 3-8 miles a day (two sessions on the 8 mile days) to aid in weight loss...which has been working but as I said...everything is squishy this time around time to start trying to build some muscle and strength.... Ty again for your help :)

I would consider dropping the cardio down a lot if you're running that much. Keep it to a couple sessions of HIIT per week. Walking is fine, but the goal is to support your strength training by adding weight to the bar every week if possible, and burning your body out on long runs is not a good plan if your goal is strength and body composition. The weight loss will come with time, and can be done without a bunch of endurance training. Endurance goals and strength goals conflict a bit.

• slideaway1
    slideaway1 Posts: 1,006 Member
    Options
    I never used to do them. I now do 3 sets of 30 decline sit ups with a 20Kg dumbbell on my chest at the end of each session (4 X per week). I've seen and felt the difference within the first two weeks. I plan on continuing doing them.
  • mhollencamp102012
    mhollencamp102012 Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    I will have to look those up (sorry missed them the 1st time) and yes I'm working on everything not just my Abs. Just trying to get stronger in general...I really have very poor muscles and flexibility and as I mentioned balance... I'm a mess lol cardio is hard (I have COPD) but I do a run/walk between 3-8 miles a day (two sessions on the 8 mile days) to aid in weight loss...which has been working but as I said...everything is squishy this time around time to start trying to build some muscle and strength.... Ty again for your help :)

I would consider dropping the cardio down a lot if you're running that much. Keep it to a couple sessions of HIIT per week. Walking is fine, but the goal is to support your strength training by adding weight to the bar every week if possible, and burning your body out on long runs is not a good plan if your goal is strength and body composition. The weight loss will come with time, and can be done without a bunch of endurance training. Endurance goals and strength goals conflict a bit.

My running is not really running...what I mean is....I do have COPD so I run maybe 1/2 a block walk 1/2 a block and so on...and I only do the running part 3 times a week....for one its over 100 here in az even at night just too dam hot to run and two these old lungs can't take that big of a beating...everything else is a brisk walk 3.5 mph. i looked up the exercises you meantioned...there are two i can modify to do at home. I will add them in and see how they go. Again thanks for your help :)

• z304
    z304 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Thanks yall- so if I'm running (walking/jogging) 3x weekly and doing below 2x weekly, would you cut the crunches and swap in a different exercise?

http://www.building-muscle101.com/dumbbell_workout_beginner.html
    Dumbbell Squat
    Stiff Leg Dumbbell Dead Lift
    Standing Dumbbell Calf Raise
    Incline Dumbbell Bench Press
    Seated Dumbbell Shoulder Press
    One Arm Dumbbell Rows
    Seated Alternate Dumbbell Curls
    Lying Dumbbell Extensions
    Crunches
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    You can incorporate different types of "core training" into your workouts every day. However, that requires a much more expansive definition of "core training". A small amount of crunch-type and plank exercises might be beneficial at first, but these are elementary foundation exercises that have a very limited shelf life IMO. Primarily, they just train you to be better at crunches and planks.

Squats and deadlifts can help as well, but. They are not neatly as effective as people think (and don't even think about getting on a BOSU ball).

Below is a link to just one of many, many articles on real core training. It's not comprehensive, but it provides a brief overview and shows some interesting exercises.

http://tonygentilcore.com/2015/08/unconventional-core-training/
  • parisnancy14
    parisnancy14 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I've been doing 70 sit-ups daily for a few months now and by doing them every day and sticking it that I have a six pack. There hasn't been one day that I haven't done them yet. By skipping doing them a day can't ruin what was going well :)