Exercising with children?

Options
I am out at 6:30 am, back at 7:30pm during the week, and then spend my weekends with our 14 month and 1 month old sons.

Does any parents out there have tips on how to fit exercise around young children?

Thanks a lot for any advice, pointers, or suggestions.

Replies

• ds6099
    ds6099 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    Anything you could do with them, such as outdoor running?
  • Cheriels82
    Cheriels82 Posts: 363 Member
    Options
    I do Jillian micheals at home. They crawl all over me for added resistance... Not always the most ideal but she is 20 min program which is good for their attention spans. It gets easier as they age (been doing these for almost a year now my son is 1 1/2 now and my daughter 3 1/2-> sometimes one or the other copes out and plays some Fischer price games on my iPhone )
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,592 Member
    Options
    As they grow and you're bench pressing them, this will definitely be progressive resistance training.

On a serious note: When my DD was a baby, I walked the mall with the stroller for an hour or more at a time. I did strength training while she slept. As they get older, playing physically with them is great. You'll get worn out before they do.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • gaelicstorm26
    gaelicstorm26 Posts: 589 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    Jogging stroller for walking/running? Hiking while you and your husband wear the kids? As they get older, trying to walk/run beside them as they bike is hilarious fun for them (and only a little fun for you--haha).

I don't tend to include my children in my own workouts. I have to workout in the evenings, after they are in bed and my husband is home.

I can relate to having two close in age, my boys are 5 and 6.
  • alazio
    alazio Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    It is really really hard to get exercise when they are that young. Jogging stroller, stroller strides workouts, or join a gym with child care are things that work for some. Or, there's always the post-bedtime workout (sucks, but if you're desperate...)
  • erimethia_fekre
    erimethia_fekre Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    I workout when they sleep. That for me started between 5:30 and 6am
  • mirrim52
    mirrim52 Posts: 763 Member
    Options
    I go to the gym after my daughter is in bed, around 9pm.
    I can't do early morning workouts as I don't get home from derby practice until 10-11 pm, so getting up again to be at the gym for 5 would not work out. No way I could squat only 6-7 hours after skating for 2-3 hrs :p
  • ruqayyahsmum
    ruqayyahsmum Posts: 1,514 Member
    Options
    up until my daughter was 6 i wore her on my back in a carrying backpack and hiked
    once she started school i had the time in the day to hit the gym and now i run/walk with her. she also finds watching me do exercise videos hilarious
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    At these ages, and with your working hours, I think exercise while the kids are awake is a luxury you cannot afford. And with a newborn and a toddler, unless you can afford someone to do chores around your home, and to help so the mother can get some sleep, I suspect there is a lot to do around the place when they are asleep.
    Use a carrier for the baby and take them for a daily evening walk. It will be bonding time with both kids .
  • barryplumber
    barryplumber Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    Bike you just need a carrier
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    Putting a newborn on a bike or a jogging stroller are both not safe options.
  • Lynniebinny76
    Lynniebinny76 Posts: 455 Member
    Options
    My boys are the exact same time apart as yours. Honestly, if you get through this and not gain weight, I would consider everything a huge success! I ate and drank and ate and drank my way through those first 9-10 months. So I don't have advice on what works great at the point you're at. I did take them on walks. Lots of walks. There really isn't much down time, and when there is, you need it! And if you don't yet, you will. Fast forward 9 months - you'll be in a totally different spot with some sort of a schedule, making it easier to schedule in time for exercise. Sorry....I hope that doesn't sound too negative or discouraging... They're just so little still, so trying to keep it real.
  • jeremywm1977
    jeremywm1977 Posts: 657 Member
    Options
    Kids are in bed by 8:30p.m.. I'm working out by 9:00p.m., and in bed by 10:30p.m.
    That's my routine, and I understand that working out so close to bed might not work for all, but it works best for me.
  • gaelicstorm26
    gaelicstorm26 Posts: 589 Member
    Options
    aggelikik wrote: »

True. The older child could do a jogging stroller while maybe the younger stays at home with your partner?

When my kids were in that age range I ended up wearing my infant a lot. There are really nice babywearing tools. I had a Mei Tai and a Moby wrap. Both were nice because they are appropriate for very young infants.
  • CrosbyMcDowell
    CrosbyMcDowell Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    aggelikik wrote: »

That is true. You could use a baby carrier and put your older kiddo in a jogger until the baby is a little older. I think it's 6 months minimum for at least some of the joggers.

I offer advice because it was requested but honestly, I agree with the people who said don't worry about it too much for now! That's a tough age gap. Take 6 months and just work on diet, do some small stuff like throwing the older kiddo up in the air and doing baby lunges (like do a lunge and lift the baby over your head) or whatever else you can think up. Then reevaluate.
  • GiddyupTim
    GiddyupTim Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    I will reiterate what Crosby, gaelic, etc., have said. Jogging strollers are great but they are not recommended for kids younger than 1-year, maybe even a bit younger. The bouncing can cause them to have a detachment of the retina. They can lose some vision and/or require surgery. (We did not know this when my kids were younger and we used to run with them in the stroller -- a lot! Fortunately, no issues.)
    In a more safe vein, we did a lot of walking with my sons in the back pack. Trust me, kids get heavier and heavier and it happens pretty rapidly.
    But it is hard to find free time to exercise when the kids are little. I used to pick my kids up at the end of the day, then go to my wife's work to get her and get out of the car to run home while she drove with the kids. (We'd switch off on this.)
    Don't worry, though. Kids get older fast and finding the opportunities for exercise come easier.
  • mwyvr
    mwyvr Posts: 1,883 Member
    Options
    Detached retina from jogging strollers? Never heard that one. A quick google search did not turn up anything definitive, just lots of "I've heard..." comments on forums like this. Given some moms run well into their pregnancy I wonder about this. If I had young children I'd check into this further to see if the reports are modern myth or not.

Maybe leave the 1 month old at home - too floppy anyway - and push the older child. I ran with my two kids regularly. We made a 14km run a regular weekend thing - ending up at a local market, nearby playground, nice espresso place nearby. My wife would meet me down there and take the kids back and I'd run back home uphill without the additional burden.

We also rode with them everywhere, went bike touring, hiking, etc.
  • kvansteen
    kvansteen Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    I walked with my youngest in the mei tie and older in the stroller. Also bikini body mommy has great 20 minute hiit exercises. Also breastfeeding is great if you can.
  • jhmomofmany
    jhmomofmany Posts: 571 Member
    Options
    That's tough. Do you have a lunch hour or other time during the day that you can use? Some good suggestions above. I often go for walks with my kids, or just do weights at home and try not to trip on them. It's frustrating, but this is a season in life that will pass fairly quickly. Good luck!