Issues with hitting minimum cal intake

Options
I have such a hard time hitting my minimum calorie intake.

For example, yesterday I had 871 calories in total. Even someone in a coma needs more than that! My minimum intake is about 1300 and maximum is 1600. I'm just not always hungry. For example, my meal yesterday was:

Breakfast: 1 cup multigrain cheerios, 1/2 cup milk, coffee (179 cal)
Lunch: 1/2 cup elbow noodle, 1 cup homemade chicken soup with veggies (270 Cal)
Dinner: 1/2 cup rice, 9oz Lemon Dill Cod, Broccoli (405 cal)
Night snack: 1 tbsp Roasted Red Pepper Dip with cucumbers (17 cal)

So far today I have eaten the same breakfast but I forced myself to eat a banana as well and I had to choke it down. I also had a peach as a morning snack. It's even worse hitting my goal on exercise day.

Replies

• StaceySudol
    StaceySudol Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Even if I'm off, it would only be maybe 100 calories so I'm still way under.
  • RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    Options
    Instead of snacking on cucumber have a few tablespoons of peanut butter.

Drink a smoothie, there are loads of ways. Have a glass of wine.
  • Kexessa
    Kexessa Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    You could sprinkle some feta cheese on top of your hummus and use multi grain crackers instead of cucumber. Have some ice cream. Have some baguette with your soup. Have steak instead of cod. Have a baked potato with real butter and sour cream instead of rice. 2 slices of multi grain bread, a banana and peanut butter as a sandwich should run about 400 +. You just have to keep trying different things.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    You can always drink your calories.

Reach for higher calorie/fuller fat foods- avoid anything that says "diet" and grab ensure/meal replacement type drinks.
  • StaceySudol
    Options
    Wine.. Ice cream... These things do not make for healthy eating
  • _benjammin
    _benjammin Posts: 1,224 Member
    Options
    bollocks

• queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options

Sure it does :)
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    If adding a banana to that breakfast caused you to "have to choke it down" and you are too full to eat other foods the rest of the day too (it's not just not being hungry in the morning), see a doctor. That's not normal.

What were you eating before trying to lose weight? When did the loss of appetite start?
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options

Malnourishment due to overly restrictive caloric intake does not make for healthy eating.

If you weigh enough to need to lose weight you are able to hit your minimum calorie level. Ice cream and smoothies are a good place to start because they go down easier. Once you start eating your minimum cals on a regular basis it won't seem as difficult to do.
  • jaga13
    jaga13 Posts: 1,149 Member
    Options
    You gained the weight somehow....why is it so hard to "choke down" a banana now? What has changed?
  • sixxpoint
    sixxpoint Posts: 3,529 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    I have such a hard time hitting my minimum calorie intake.

For example, yesterday I had 871 calories in total. Even someone in a coma needs more than that! My minimum intake is about 1300 and maximum is 1600. I'm just not always hungry. For example, my meal yesterday was:

Breakfast: 1 cup multigrain cheerios, 1/2 cup milk, coffee (179 cal)
    Lunch: 1/2 cup elbow noodle, 1 cup homemade chicken soup with veggies (270 Cal)
    Dinner: 1/2 cup rice, 9oz Lemon Dill Cod, Broccoli (405 cal)
    Night snack: 1 tbsp Roasted Red Pepper Dip with cucumbers (17 cal)

So far today I have eaten the same breakfast but I forced myself to eat a banana as well and I had to choke it down. I also had a peach as a morning snack. It's even worse hitting my goal on exercise day.

There is no easy way to answer this question, so excuse my directness. You have to change your concepts of healthy food and portion size. Every one of your meals is mini. Your largest calorie meal of 405 cals is my smallest sized meal.

I can tell by how you eat that the idea of consuming a few slices of bacon, a burrito, 2 slices of pizza, 3 eggs with cheese and bread, or a 10 oz. ribeye steak with mashed potatoes probably sends shivers down your spine. And that is a problem that was likely conditioned by years of the media telling you how to eat and what is healthy vs. what is not.

What is your current weight and height? Can you estimate your bodyfat % by visiting Google images? How often do you exercise? Is it something you do fairly regularly, or intermittently? Do you have any type of noticeable muscle mass?
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    You're using cups, so you're probably underestimating your food intake anyway.
  • StaceySudol
    Options

I can tell by how you eat that the idea of consuming a few slices of bacon, a burrito, 2 slices of pizza, 3 eggs with cheese and bread, or a 10 oz. ribeye steak with mashed potatoes probably sends shivers down your spine. And that is a problem that was likely conditioned by years of the media telling you how to eat and what is healthy vs. what is not.[/quote]

Well, no. I can easily eat those things but then I go way over my calories.

I've always been a 3 meals a day and a snack at night type of person, I use to just make really unhealthy choices.

I gained my weight when I had kids and have been struggling to get it off since. It's been a yoyo journey.

• StaceySudol
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »

It's not that difficult to measure out liquids and small grains with cups.
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »

It's not that difficult to measure out liquids and small grains with cups.

But it is not accurate either.
  • sixxpoint
    sixxpoint Posts: 3,529 Member
    Options

That's not true either.
  • RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    Options

Of course they do, eat a variety of fresh meat/fish and eggs, a range of coloured fruit and veg and a handful of seeds and nuts. Add a nice snack of ice-cream or a glass of wine before bed. As long as it is within your calorie goal you will lose weight and enjoy it. That is much more likely to be a long term way of eating than the tiny amount 900 calories gives you.

Try not to see food as good or bad, it can all have a place somewhere. Ice-cream is great calcium ;)

• Lizzles4Shizzles
    Lizzles4Shizzles Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    You don't have to resign yourself to "The Most Boring Foods in the World" diet in order to lose weight and be healthy. Eat what you want and what tastes good to you within your calories, with approx. 80% of those foods being whole, nutrient dense foods, and 20% being treats or what you would probably consider "junk food." What you're doing has to be something you can stick to for the rest of your life and there's no point in being miserable when it's completely unnecessary.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options

Why not eat some of those things and some of what you are currently eating. Add a couple slices of bacon to breakfast. Or have the ribeye instead of fish for dinner. Or add a banana to dinner.

If you think you are "stuffed" and have to choke down more food, there's either something wrong (possibly physical, possibly ED related) that means you should consult a doctor, or you are simply limiting yourself to foods you don't care for much and so aren't hungry for them (especially if this is early days). If the latter, it will take care of itself, but is more likely to do in a way positive for your weight loss efforts if you take charge and create a healthy and sustainable (including calorie appropriate) way of eating now.