How do you maintain your motivation to exercise when it's so hot?

Options

Replies

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    I love to ride...weather and whatnot is pretty irrelevant to that passion for me unless it's really *kitten* out.

If I know it's really going to be a scorcher I try to get my ride in early AM...I usually ride at lunch. In the winter I ride on nice days, but resign myself to the treadmill on *kitten* days.

AC in the gym is always nice too.
  • rsclause
    rsclause Posts: 3,103 Member
    Options
    I go out to run at 4:30 AM. If the sun is up or soon to be up I ride a bike to get some air moving.
  • OldAssDude
    OldAssDude Posts: 1,436 Member
    Options
    Do it in the morning or evening when it's not as hot, and don't be afraid to sweat your butt off. Sweating is good for you.

Just make extra sure you stay hydrated.
  • Graymanstole
    Graymanstole Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    I hear you! I live in DC, which is basically a swamp.

Completely concur with that statement. I run along the Mall just about every morning because it's far too hot/muggy/uncomfortable/touristy to run any other time of the day. Usually out very early (5:30ish) but am always pleasantly surprised by the sheer number of other runners out at that time.
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    Air conditioned gym

Walk in the woods

Walk in the mall

Move to a more temperate location like England

Swim

This or just be familiar with the signs of heat realated issues, suck it up and just go do it.
  • shrinkingletters
    shrinkingletters Posts: 1,008 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    Lots of water, a towel, a brief moment of lying on the floor in a pool of my own sweat, the thought of "I'd like to go outside in a midriff baring shirt and shorts when it's this hot, next year."

Edit: I'd like to add, I live in So-Cal where every summer the weather is Literal Hellscape, so you just gotta suck it up.
  • acheben
    acheben Posts: 476 Member
    Options
    Another South Texan here. I'm a runner, so to keep me motivated to run, I sign up for races. It might be oppressively hot out, but if I don't get out there and get my runs in, I'm going to have a terrible time at the races. Plus, I feel like I'm wasting my money on these races if I don't train and do the best that I can at them.
  • dubird
    dubird Posts: 1,849 Member
    Options
    I wait until the temperature drops in the evenings to do my walking. I also carry a large water bottle with me since I dehydrate very easily. The biggest problem I have with that is that I don't like walking at night, espically since the streets in my neighborhood aren't well lit. Granted, it's not like I'm walking down some ghetto block full of gang members, but I still get paranoid about walking after dark. To much Forensic Files I guess.
  • krystleLD25
    krystleLD25 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I hate it too!!! it was really hard for me to start but once I did, it bothered me less and less. I also go out at 7am though. also, if you keep running and beasting it when its really hot, you could maybe do the Badwater ultramarathon one of these days.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,946 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    Nuke_64 wrote: »
    I have gotten acclimated by working outside starting in the spring and through the summer. If I had to start cold turkey, I don't think I could do it.

I never acclimated to Okinawa (2 years) or South Florida (7 years) :(

http://www.memecenter.com/fun/3152615/i-prefer-cold-weather

• PinkyPan1
    PinkyPan1 Posts: 3,018 Member
    Options
    I am out the door before sunrise to get my 6 mile walk in. I hit the pavement about 5:30 in the morning.
  • firephoenix8
    firephoenix8 Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    I won't go to a gym regularly (I know myself now) and it's not really ever cool here in Tennessee. I walk when I can, and I like the FitStar app on my phone for exercise I can do in my living room without any equipment. I also make sure to take water with me when I do go outside.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    Exercise in the morning or at night.
    Exercise in an air conditioned space.
    Wear less clothing. I exercise at home so I am not embarrased to be showing a lot of skin.
    Take a cool shower after.
  • bombus
    bombus Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Exercising really early morning or at dusk works. Drink lots of chilled water. Also, do you have access to a pool? Swimming would work but again, keep your fluids higher than normal
  • RockstarWilson
    RockstarWilson Posts: 836 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    Design4Me wrote: »
    I've been trying to exercise to lose weight. I'm working with a nutritionist, have learned a lot and with my new eating habits in place have lost 9 pounds but I am struggling to be consistent in walking and in exercising when it's so hot. Outside temperatures are ranging above 100 degrees and sometimes inside seems not much better - how do you do it?

I live in the desert, where during this time, 110° heat is coupled with +50% humidity. Working out outdoors during the day can be dangerous if one doesn't know what they are doing. I cycle every day in it, but besides that, I just workout at the gym. UV rays are dangerous where I live (11+ index every day), and couple that with high heat and high humidity, a person can dehydrate fast.

Just do your thing before sun is high in the sky, or in the evenings. Make sure to have lots of sodium, and drink lots of water!
  • RockstarWilson
    RockstarWilson Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    Forget what nutritionists say about sodium. Desert dwellers need sodium. Well above 2300 mg. It is #1 for muscle movement.
  • x_blackrainbow
    x_blackrainbow Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    dubird wrote: »
    I wait until the temperature drops in the evenings to do my walking. I also carry a large water bottle with me since I dehydrate very easily. The biggest problem I have with that is that I don't like walking at night, espically since the streets in my neighborhood aren't well lit. Granted, it's not like I'm walking down some ghetto block full of gang members, but I still get paranoid about walking after dark. To much Forensic Files I guess.

LOL, I love Forensic Files!

I do the same. I'm not an early bird at all, so I wait for the sun to go down if I'm going to walk. I'm more concerned about getting hit by a car though!
  • eved305
    eved305 Posts: 29 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    I just don't think about why I hate running in the heat and just enjoy the run. Yes it's hot and super humid and I look like I went for a swim and not a run but it's worth it.

Edit: I'll add I do go early morning and late night but it's still humid enough to make breathing hard so I just push through. Enjoy!
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    Forget what nutritionists say about sodium. Desert dwellers need sodium. Well above 2300 mg. It is #1 for muscle movement.

Truth! I'm in Tucson. I weigh myself first thing when I get up, I run, then I weigh myself after I've taken my shower when I've dried off. I do this so I know how much extra water I need to drink that day. This time of year a 5 mile run will cause a 2+ pound drop and I'm drinking water during the run. Losing that much sweat means losing a lot of sodium, too.
  • BasicGreatGuy
    BasicGreatGuy Posts: 868 Member
    Options
    Design4Me wrote: »
    I've been trying to exercise to lose weight. I'm working with a nutritionist, have learned a lot and with my new eating habits in place have lost 9 pounds but I am struggling to be consistent in walking and in exercising when it's so hot. Outside temperatures are ranging above 100 degrees and sometimes inside seems not much better - how do you do it?

If possible, get your outside exercise done as early in the morning as you can. Sometimes, an hour difference can make a big difference with the heat and humidity.