Got snarked at the gym today

Options

Replies

• giantrobot_powerlifting
    giantrobot_powerlifting Posts: 2,598 Member
    Options
    z304 wrote: »
    After she was done she walked over, DROPPED a huge dumbbell next to me and said "try lifting something real" and walked out.

It's the gym in my apartment building-
    If this gal thinks she is such a badass, ask her why isn't she lifting at a "real" gym?

Zing!
  • Therealobi1
    Therealobi1 Posts: 3,261 Member
    Options
    brower47 wrote: »
    LenGray wrote: »
    Regardless of whether this happened or didn't happen, this forum is called Motivation and Support. Last time I checked, telling someone that they're a liar because their story is unlikely in your frame of experience is neither motivating or supportive.

Stories like this can be quite demotivating to people already wary of lifting. It's in the wrong section. And since there's not a demotivational section, OP (troll) should just go away.

or maybe u could not comment in her post?
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    Eh, I had an "I thought that kind of thing only happened on TV" moment this past weekend at Target. While I'd like to think it wouldn't ever happen, I don't think this is crazy enough to be impossible.

OP, just keep on doing your thing. People are strange. Sometimes you just have to laugh at their absurdities.
  • Furbuster
    Furbuster Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    For all those who are thinking the OP is a liar...

3 weeks ago I had to put in a complaint at my gym because some bloke yelled across to his mate" If you're not gonna workout you may as well go the ladies section and play with your dingly". In front of me and my open mouthed sister.

There are idiots everywhere.

• MsJulesRenee
    MsJulesRenee Posts: 1,180 Member
    Options
    Meh, I've had a lot of women give me dirty looks or snark at me at the gym over the years. I'm not intimating at all, I don't dress like a valley girl, I don't flirt with their guys or even look at them - just lil ole me minding my own business! :D I either ignore them or stare back until they get uncomfortable and look away. People are goofy sometimes.
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    dubird wrote: »
    You're not supposed to drop the weights! If she does it again, call her out on it. XD If she's going to try and be a snarky *kitten*, just be a smartass back at her. You're fine with what you're doing, and if she has a problem with it, so be it.

The most important part of this thread: who even says that you're not supposed to drop weights? What kind of communist place is this?
  • yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Options
    DopeItUp wrote: »
    You're not supposed to drop the weights! If she does it again, call her out on it. XD If she's going to try and be a snarky *kitten*, just be a smartass back at her. You're fine with what you're doing, and if she has a problem with it, so be it.

The most important part of this thread: who even says that you're not supposed to drop weights? What kind of communist place is this?
    Planet fitness?
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    DYELB wrote: »
    Suspect is suspect.

The thought also crossed my mind.

Wow, really people? Just because it's never happened to you CLEARLY means it has never happened to someone else.

it's a bit out there....not saying it's impossible...but really, a lot of people here are pretty experienced in this RE...and well...yeah...never seen it and I've been in and out of gyms for 25+ years.

also, a lot of people on MFP make *kitten* up all the time...stick around awhile and you'll see...lots of bullshitters and trolls around these parts.

+1 with all the others, unless you are getting in someones way they dont care. If it happened to me id probably say soemthing or if i wasnt confrontaional then id tell management.

Oh and being sceptical is not the same as calling someone a liar to create extra drama. If it happened its rubbish, if it didnt and someone has gone to the trouble of making it up, then....

Disagree strongly with Len poster. People make stuff up, nothing wrong with being sceptical. I look forward to all the supportive posts you will engage in on this forum. Experienced posters do plenty.
  • BasicGreatGuy
    BasicGreatGuy Posts: 868 Member
    Options
    I lifted today! That's the good part. A few other people were in the gym, including one girl who was lifting much heavier than I was- I'm using fairly small weights because I haven't lifted forever and I'm only a few weeks into doing it again- I'd rather be safe and build up to where I was than hurt myself.
    After she was done she walked over, DROPPED a huge dumbbell next to me and said "try lifting something real" and walked out. I just kept lifting (I was in the middle of a set) and didn't respond... just kind of can't believe some people are actually like that. I'm still glad I lifted today, but with all the other stress in my life I really didn't need that during my workout.

Let what she said go. If you focus on it, you give her garbage power over you.
  • x_blackrainbow
    x_blackrainbow Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    jemhh wrote: »
    Eh, I had an "I thought that kind of thing only happened on TV" moment this past weekend at Target. While I'd like to think it wouldn't ever happen, I don't think this is crazy enough to be impossible.

OP, just keep on doing your thing. People are strange. Sometimes you just have to laugh at their absurdities.

Now I want to know what happened at Target.
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    DopeItUp wrote: »

Last week a girl was doing drop set squats, and at the end of the set, she'd throw the weights down at the ground putting a fair amount of force behind it. It was entertaining.
  • BasicGreatGuy
    Options
    DavPul wrote: »
    25 years of spending tons of time in gyms and I've yet to see anything like this occur on any level. Add me to the list of people that doubt this really happened.

Logical fallacy. It is anything but logical.

Your 25 years experience in a gym is meaningless, in regards to the OP. You weren't there. Just because it doesn't fit your logical fallacy premise, that doesn't mean it didn't happen.
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    Furbuster wrote: »

3 weeks ago I had to put in a complaint at my gym because some bloke yelled across to his mate" If you're not gonna workout you may as well go the ladies section and play with your dingly". In front of me and my open mouthed sister.

Agree, there are idiots everywhere. I used to be member in a gym where the weight room and one of the room for classes were seperated by a large window, so you could watch the class while lifting. One guy was a regular in all aerobic-dance type classes. I remember one of the guys in the weight room kept giving him dirty looks every time he saw him. One day, during a Zumba class, guy number one was close to the window and clearly having fun, singing along with dancing. The weight room guy, stopped what he was doing, turned around to make sure he had everyone's attention and yelled "look at this idiot, he is a disgrace, what does he think, that this is some sort of party? He is embarassing himself." Fortunately no one appeared to share his opinion, and it was the last I saw him in the gym, I suspect there were so many complaints that day they kicked him out. Until I saw this happen, I would have never believed someone woudl act like this!
  • Neversettle78
    Neversettle78 Posts: 208 Member
    Options

You put in a complaint about that???
  • BasicGreatGuy
    Options
    25 years of spending tons of time in gyms and I've yet to see anything like this occur on any level. Add me to the list of people that doubt this really happened.

I agree, I am very skeptical that this actually happened the way it was described, or at all.
    Also, the OP's profile is sketchy itself...no gender, no pic...
    A person needs a pic or a filled out profile to be believable?

Did you ever consider that your logical fallacy thinking is the problem? If not, take some time to consider it.
  • yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Options

I agree, I am very skeptical that this actually happened the way it was described, or at all.

Did you ever consider that your logical fallacy thinking is the problem? If not, take some time to consider it.

From someone who has been in the forums for a lot of my time spend at work. There are correlations to trolls and fake accounts. When that posting history of yours hits a lot more than you have now you will notice trends as well.

• Neversettle78
    Options

No, they don't require either or both to be believable....but the combination of those along with the unbelievable story is what fuelled me to speculate things did not happen as OP suggests.
  • Furbuster
    Furbuster Posts: 254 Member
    Options

It surprises you that I did? Why's that?
  • Neversettle78
    Options

It surprises you that I did? Why's that?

I just can't believe someone would officially file a complaint about that. Just my opinion...maybe I am just heartless though...
  • BasicGreatGuy
    Options

No, they don't require either or both to be believable....but the combination of those along with the unbelievable story is what fuelled me to speculate things did not happen as OP suggests.

What is so unbelievable, that one person was rude to another? Rudeness happens every day, regardless of venue.

Just because some of us haven't experienced rudeness in the same manner the OP did, that doesn't mean that the incident didn't occur.

The OP has not given any indication that he or she is purposefully trolling, in my opinion. I think it is a crappy turn of events for one to post in the motivation forum, and have several people invoke logical fallacy as some kind of crystal ball vision of truth.