Got snarked at the gym today

Replies

• yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Furbuster wrote: »
    For all those who are thinking the OP is a liar...

3 weeks ago I had to put in a complaint at my gym because some bloke yelled across to his mate" If you're not gonna workout you may as well go the ladies section and play with your dingly". In front of me and my open mouthed sister.

There are idiots everywhere.

You put in a complaint about that???

It surprises you that I did? Why's that?

I just can't believe someone would officially file a complaint about that. Just my opinion...maybe I am just heartless though...

If I was there I would probably laugh at that story.
  • justrollme
    justrollme Posts: 802 Member
    Next time you see her give her a good hard stare while you serenely go about your routine. Then blink and look away. Like a cat does when he's just letting you know that he doesn't give a #%$&.

LOL I love this.
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    How did you not lose it and laugh hysterically? Sorry, but this is my response to most acts of false bravado.
  • Furbuster
    Furbuster Posts: 254 Member

3 weeks ago I had to put in a complaint at my gym because some bloke yelled across to his mate" If you're not gonna workout you may as well go the ladies section and play with your dingly". In front of me and my open mouthed sister.

I just can't believe someone would officially file a complaint about that. Just my opinion...maybe I am just heartless though...

That's fair enough. I found it sexist and belittling to women (plus unprofessional - he should've known better. Maybe I'm just a bit more touchy ;)
  • Neversettle78
    Neversettle78 Posts: 208 Member
    DavPul wrote: »
    25 years of spending tons of time in gyms and I've yet to see anything like this occur on any level. Add me to the list of people that doubt this really happened.

I agree, I am very skeptical that this actually happened the way it was described, or at all.
    Also, the OP's profile is sketchy itself...no gender, no pic...
    A person needs a pic or a filled out profile to be believable?

Did you ever consider that your logical fallacy thinking is the problem? If not, take some time to consider it.

No, they don't require either or both to be believable....but the combination of those along with the unbelievable story is what fuelled me to speculate things did not happen as OP suggests.

What is so unbelievable, that one person was rude to another? Rudeness happens every day, regardless of venue.

Just because some of us haven't experienced rudeness in the same manner the OP did, that doesn't mean that the incident didn't occur.

The OP has not given any indication that he or she is purposefully trolling, in my opinion. I think it is a crappy turn of events for one to post in the motivation forum, and have several people invoke logical fallacy as some kind of crystal ball vision of truth.

Rudeness does happen every day, yes you are correct. I didn't say it DIDN'T happen, just that it was unlikely that things unfolded the way it was stated. That is just my opinion though, which I am free to express in this public forum.
  • Goal_Driven
    Goal_Driven Posts: 371 Member
    Don't pay people like that any attention. YOU LIFTED TODAY! That's all that matters! That's awesome.. some people don't even do that much... like me, today. I was following a lifting program earlier this year and tried dead lifts for the first time.. in the gym. A group of guys laughed at me... I felt embarrassed but a group of great supporters just told me to turn the music up and focus on what I'm doing. Anyone who tries to belittle someone else in the gym for bettering themselves is full of it. Keep going!! :smile: and you're right.. start with smaller weights if that's where you're at right now... your muscles will get use to the and demand heavier when the time is right. Someone who lifts smaller weights vs. someone who lifts heavier weights are the same. It just depends on where you are at physically and what your body can handle. They challenge the muscle no differently. KEEP GOING.
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    I like the fact people arent allowed to be sceptical. Nobody can say whether it did or did not happen. Instead of berating the people who are sceptical maybe the people complaining could do some supporting of the OP with good advice and motivation.
  • yopeeps025
    999tigger wrote: »
    I like the fact people arent allowed to be sceptical. Nobody can say whether it did or did not happen. Instead of berating the people who are sceptical maybe the people complaining could do some supporting of the OP with good advice and motivation.

Yeah but that is not the MFP way.
  • yopeeps025

That's fair enough. I found it sexist and belittling to women (plus unprofessional - he should've known better. Maybe I'm just a bit more touchy ;)

Well some men do feel that poking fun like that work. Ever wonder how you throw like a girl became an insult to guys.
  • Furbuster
    yopeeps025 wrote: »

Well some men do feel that poking fun like that work. Ever wonder how you throw like a girl became an insult to guys.

That's true - just seemed wrong to me, I wouldn't do that if it were my business, I'd tell my staff off if he said that in front of customers. Maybe I'm just touchy as I said.
  • _The_Lone_Wolf_
    _The_Lone_Wolf_ Posts: 160 Member
    I go completely zen, mp3 in my ears and screw the world ><
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member

That's true - just seemed wrong to me, I wouldn't do that if it were my business, I'd tell my staff off if he said that in front of customers. Maybe I'm just touchy as I said.

Wait - the person who said this was an employee? That wasn't stated in your first post about this.
  • yopeeps025
    edited August 2015
    TR0berts wrote: »

Wait - the person who said this was an employee? That wasn't stated in your first post about this.

She left that out. I notice that too. "Some bloke yelled across at his mate."
  • Furbuster
    TR0berts wrote: »

Yeah he was - sorry didn't think. Duh.
  • dubird
    dubird Posts: 1,849 Member
    DopeItUp wrote: »
    dubird wrote: »
    You're not supposed to drop the weights! If she does it again, call her out on it. XD If she's going to try and be a snarky *kitten*, just be a smartass back at her. You're fine with what you're doing, and if she has a problem with it, so be it.

The most important part of this thread: who even says that you're not supposed to drop weights? What kind of communist place is this?

That's just what I've been told because it can damage the weights or the floor. Maybe it's just certain gyms that say that, then?
  • yopeeps025
    edited August 2015
    DopeItUp wrote: »
    You're not supposed to drop the weights! If she does it again, call her out on it. XD If she's going to try and be a snarky *kitten*, just be a smartass back at her. You're fine with what you're doing, and if she has a problem with it, so be it.

The most important part of this thread: who even says that you're not supposed to drop weights? What kind of communist place is this?

That's just what I've been told because it can damage the weights or the floor. Maybe it's just certain gyms that say that, then?

It can happen even the rubber coated weights at my gym are slowly cracking from people dropping from clean rack positions. Those powerlifters love to drop weight.
  • firstsip
    firstsip Posts: 8,399 Member
    "I noticed this other woman lifting more than me and obsessed about it the entire time. She happened to drop weights near me and I assumed she must have been thinking this. What a b."
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Next time you see her give her a good hard stare while you serenely go about your routine. Then blink and look away. Like a cat does when he's just letting you know that he doesn't give a #%$&.

yeeesssss