diet and exercise- little results -what am i doing wrong?

Options
13»

Replies

• _benjammin
    _benjammin Posts: 1,224 Member
    Options
    ewokangel wrote: »
    My doctor as not cleared me for anything but the bike... I can not lift weights or do any extensions or anything like that as my fibula is broken at my ankle
    I can't fathom your Dr. not allowing you to sit, with no weight or pressure on your ankle while you push and pull with your arms, chest, and back. Leg machines are adjustable so the pressure in on you shin or calf, ok, maybe no go there but can't see how you can ride a bike but Nothing else.

• heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    I hobbled around the gym weight machines with trimalleolar fracture healing for 1 month before I could do anything else like swim and then 1 legged cycling finally. But I kept up lifting anyway.

The only muscle I couldn't do was calf machine, and depending on use, glute machine. (one required pushing with foot, one required standing on one leg while other spun the leg holder).

You pick out a traditional push/pull routine, and do that 3 x weekly for 6 days, at heavy for you with sets and reps - you'll get a workout.

Still doesn't burn a ton of calories - so when you eat less you aren't getting to eat that much.

But while the body is trying to heal bone and repair possible tendon and ligaments is the worst time to be in a diet anyway - very bad idea.
    Eat at maintenance - just let the body transform.

So every upper body machine, chest, back, pullup, pulldown, tri, bi.
    Every lower body machine except sled for pushing - leg extension, curl (neither uses fibula unless machine puts a pad right there), glute machines.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    emmalpoppy wrote: »
    It is entirely possible to eat at a deficit but still gain weight or not lose with hashimotos.

That wouldn't be a deficit then.
  • lemmie177
    lemmie177 Posts: 479 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    I'd echo all the tips from @diannethegeek especially #8. And starting a strength routine is great advice. Anything you can do in whichever body part will benefit you in the long run.

I'm not sure how long you've been eating at 1200-1500, but I'd guess several months. You say you're not hungry. The go-to suspect is inaccurate food logging, but you say that's not the case. My guess is that your deficit is no longer a deficit in that your body is not burning as many calories as you'd expect, especially likely since you're coming off an injury that would make you increasingly sedentary. Also, if you've been eating low calories for a long time, your body will adapt to less incoming energy. Though your BMR doesn't change, things like NEAT (non-exercise activity thermogenesis) will naturally decrease.

You're already eating close to your BMR, so I wouldn't advise lowering calories. You say you're working your buns off on the bike, so I wouldn't increase that if you're already burned out. Plus, you are still healing a broken ankle. At this point, I'd recommend a reverse diet. You can look this up, but the gist of it is to SLOWLY increase calories (ie add 50-100 calories every 7-10 days) and watch your weight. The point is to increase intake without gaining weight to increase your body's energy expenditure and determine your maintenance levels. It'll help the healing process, too. Hopefully, you wont start gaining until you get to your estimated TDEE (~2000?). If you start gaining right away, you're increasing calories too quickly. Once you've found your maintenance, you can start dieting again with a nice big deficit in your favor.
  • Kimegatron
    Kimegatron Posts: 772 Member
    Options
    As someone with hypothyroid and hashimotos on top of that just because a doctor says your thyroid is fine does not mean it is. And with this wonderful disease it is possible to gain weight in a calorie deficit. Not all doctors are created equal and unless they did the whole battery of tests that are required for thyroid function there is no way to say for certain it is functioning properly. An endocrinologist can help you better with this but again not all are created equal.

Yes, I agree. When you are being tested, it may be at a time that you are not having symptoms. That is what a few different doctors have told me, anyways, so I am going by what I've been told. My mother has Hypo, and I have been tested 5 times (I try to go once a year, as recommended by doctors). In those 5 times, I have had 2 positives, to which they ask me to come back at a later time to be tested. So 2 positives out of 5. I forget to go each year sometimes, otherwise, I would be tested more.
  • Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    Options
    OP, open your diary, I guarantee that will be the problem. Fix the problem now, instead of waiting weeks and weeks to figure it out.
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    Options
    Kimegatron wrote: »
    As someone with hypothyroid and hashimotos on top of that just because a doctor says your thyroid is fine does not mean it is. And with this wonderful disease it is possible to gain weight in a calorie deficit. Not all doctors are created equal and unless they did the whole battery of tests that are required for thyroid function there is no way to say for certain it is functioning properly. An endocrinologist can help you better with this but again not all are created equal.

Yes, I agree. When you are being tested, it may be at a time that you are not having symptoms. That is what a few different doctors have told me, anyways, so I am going by what I've been told. My mother has Hypo, and I have been tested 5 times (I try to go once a year, as recommended by doctors). In those 5 times, I have had 2 positives, to which they ask me to come back at a later time to be tested. So 2 positives out of 5. I forget to go each year sometimes, otherwise, I would be tested more.

There is no positive test regarding thyroid disorders - the results fall into a range and you need to get these numbers from your doc. TSH is the primary indicator with a range of 0.3-3.0. You need at a minimum Total T4, Free T4, Total T3, Free T3, and RT3 for a proper diagnosis.

Thyroid disorders do not override the basic principle of CICO. There is a possibility of increased water weigth due to increased cellular uptake and a drop in metabolism, but just as in every living organism - if you are gaining weight, you are either eating too much or moving too little.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    Serah87 wrote: »
    OP, open your diary, I guarantee that will be the problem. Fix the problem now, instead of waiting weeks and weeks to figure it out.

Yep.

This "testing" theme is a distraction from the real issue.

Open your diary.
  • CSARdiver
    edited August 2015
    Options
    It is entirely possible to eat at a deficit but still gain weight or not lose with hashimotos.

No - if you are not losing, then you are not in a caloric deficit.
  • emmalpoppy
    emmalpoppy Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    "Hormones. When it comes to functional endocrinology, one of my mentors is Dr. Janet Lang, who during her seminars would frequently tell the attendees that “hormones are stronger than diet”. What this means is that if you have a hormonal imbalance, which many people with Hashimoto’s Thyroiditis have, then it will be extremely difficult, if not impossible to lose a significant amount of weight by eating and exercising alone."

cited: http://thyroidnation.com/losing-weight-hashimotos-thyroid-disease/

If you do not have this condition and you are not an endocrinologist you really cannot say that eat less and exercise and guarantee that you will lose weight. This also effects insulin levels. And a TSH test is not everything. My tsh is considered normal but because of hashimotos it requires medication. Also if your tsh goes in the hypo "range" then back in a few weeks or months time there is certainly more to the situation than your doctor knows, which is why a good endo in important in these situations.
  • _benjammin
    _benjammin Posts: 1,224 Member
    Options
    "Hormones. When it comes to functional endocrinology, one of my mentors is Dr. Janet Lang, who during her seminars would frequently tell the attendees that “hormones are stronger than diet”. What this means is that if you have a hormonal imbalance, which many people with Hashimoto’s Thyroiditis have, then it will be extremely difficult, if not impossible to lose a significant amount of weight by eating and exercising alone."
    All that means is your hormones are stronger to control/regulate than diet. If you aren't losing weight you are not in a calorie deficit. The fact that your thyroid caused your basal metabolic rate to crash means you aren't in a calorie deficit, even if you are eating significantly less than than someone without a hormonal imbalance. My very basic understanding of Hashimotos and thyroid conditions is similar to what others have posted, there are times when everything seems normal and other times, all out of whack. That's why a set calorie amount doesn't seem to "work" for weight loss.
  • CSARdiver
    edited August 2015
    Options

cited: http://thyroidnation.com/losing-weight-hashimotos-thyroid-disease/

If you do not have this condition and you are not an endocrinologist you really cannot say that eat less and exercise and guarantee that you will lose weight. This also effects insulin levels. And a TSH test is not everything. My tsh is considered normal but because of hashimotos it requires medication. Also if your tsh goes in the hypo "range" then back in a few weeks or months time there is certainly more to the situation than your doctor knows, which is why a good endo in important in these situations.

I would stay away from personal websites when citing sources. Peer reviewed publications are much better than unregulated sites attempting to market their products, especially those promoting "Thyroid diets". You should also verify your sources as Dr. Janet Lang is not an endocrinologist, but a chiropractor. Personally not so concerned by the letters behind someone's name as long as they have proof to back their claims. Thyroid disorders are fixed with medicine, not diets.

You are correct that a TSH test is not "everything". Proper diagnosis requires multiple hormonal panel tests over time to identify conflicting hormone interactions with T4 & T3.

This does not change the fact that if you are not losing weight, then you are eating too much or moving too little.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,982 Member
    Options
    My doctor has not cleared me for anything but the bike... I can not lift weights or do any extensions or anything like that as my fibula is broken at my ankle

Has your doctor referred you for Physical Therapy? A PT might be a better person to ask about exercises. My completely unprofessional supposition is that if you can bike, you should be able to swim.

Why is your ankle prohibiting you from lifting weights with your arms?

How about youtubing chair yoga? This would be more to mix it up a bit and maybe help with the panic disorder than to burn calories. Yoga for stress I do know about; chair yoga not so much.
  • sherrynickel
    sherrynickel Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Do you know your BMI and BMR ? If you don't have these base starting numbers how do you know exactly how many calories you should be eating per day? As well as adding exercise
  • I_Will_End_You
    I_Will_End_You Posts: 4,397 Member
    Options
    _benjammin wrote: »
    Why not add an upper body strength routine?

bad arthritis in my wrists. I love lifting weights, but my wrists have never been able to handle heavy weights. so very low weight and high rep is what i do. However, all of my fat is in my hips and thighs. (i am hispanic - so we tend to pack on the pounds where the jeans are) so I am trying to work my lower body and get some results while having a broken ankle....

You can't spot reduce. Doing lower body exercises will not make you lose fat from your lower body. It would be beneficial for you to add some upper body workouts.
  • Kimegatron
    Options
    CSARdiver wrote: »

There is no positive test regarding thyroid disorders - the results fall into a range and you need to get these numbers from your doc. TSH is the primary indicator with a range of 0.3-3.0. You need at a minimum Total T4, Free T4, Total T3, Free T3, and RT3 for a proper diagnosis.

Thyroid disorders do not override the basic principle of CICO. There is a possibility of increased water weigth due to increased cellular uptake and a drop in metabolism, but just as in every living organism - if you are gaining weight, you are either eating too much or moving too little.

Fine. I will say that my levels were so high twice, that they were huge signs of thyroid issues. I didn't feel that it was necessary to say that, I figured people would you know.. get it. That is why I have to go back annually. Because they go up and down. WOOOOO.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Look to your logging.
  • booksandchocolate12
    booksandchocolate12 Posts: 1,741 Member
    Options
    Sounds to me like the OP is "hoping" for a medical issue, instead of facing the prospect of inaccurate logging. But hoping for a medical condition? That would be weird. I'm sure that's not the case.
  • CSARdiver
    Options
    CSARdiver wrote: »

Fine. I will say that my levels were so high twice, that they were huge signs of thyroid issues. I didn't feel that it was necessary to say that, I figured people would you know.. get it. That is why I have to go back annually. Because they go up and down. WOOOOO.

@Kimegatron I don't mean to come off snarky or insulting and I apologize if I did. There are so many posts filled with misinformation regarding thyroid disorders and so many bad doctors out there who do not stay current that I end up posting this as a general response. Many are not aware that you need multiple tests over time and many docs only go by TSH results.

I've been hypo for over 15 years now and gained a great deal of weight as I had no clue what I was eating and was leading a sedentary lifestyle transitioning from military to civilian life. Once I started tracking and logging, the weight came off.
  • Kimegatron
    Options
    LOL @CSARdiver , the same goes for me! I didn't take yours as snarky, and I didn't mean for mine to come off as snarky either! I meant "Fine," as in more of an "Oopsie" haha sorry!