Got snarked at the gym today

Options

Replies

• Cranquistador
    Cranquistador Posts: 39,744 Member
    Options
    Furbuster wrote: »
    For all those who are thinking the OP is a liar...

3 weeks ago I had to put in a complaint at my gym because some bloke yelled across to his mate" If you're not gonna workout you may as well go the ladies section and play with your dingly". In front of me and my open mouthed sister.

There are idiots everywhere.

Are you serious? You reported someone for that?

Wow.

And for the record it is not even remotely similar to the example in question.

Yes there are idiots everywhere.
    -_-
  • Cranquistador
    Options

3 weeks ago I had to put in a complaint at my gym because some bloke yelled across to his mate" If you're not gonna workout you may as well go the ladies section and play with your dingly". In front of me and my open mouthed sister.

You put in a complaint about that???

It surprises you that I did? Why's that?

I just can't believe someone would officially file a complaint about that. Just my opinion...maybe I am just heartless though...

No, you're just reasonable.
  • Cranquistador
    Options

I just can't believe someone would officially file a complaint about that. Just my opinion...maybe I am just heartless though...

That's fair enough. I found it sexist and belittling to women (plus unprofessional - he should've known better. Maybe I'm just a bit more touchy ;)
    Unprofessional? I'm guessing there was information left out of the original statement.
  • Cranquistador
    Options
    yopeeps025 wrote: »

That's fair enough. I found it sexist and belittling to women (plus unprofessional - he should've known better. Maybe I'm just a bit more touchy ;)

Well some men do feel that poking fun like that work. Ever wonder how you throw like a girl became an insult to guys.

That's true - just seemed wrong to me, I wouldn't do that if it were my business, I'd tell my staff off if he said that in front of customers. Maybe I'm just touchy as I said.
    AHHHHHHH, now we find out he works there.

-_-
  • Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    Options
    z304 wrote: »
    I lifted today! That's the good part. A few other people were in the gym, including one girl who was lifting much heavier than I was- I'm using fairly small weights because I haven't lifted forever and I'm only a few weeks into doing it again- I'd rather be safe and build up to where I was than hurt myself.
    After she was done she walked over, DROPPED a huge dumbbell next to me and said "try lifting something real" and walked out. I just kept lifting (I was in the middle of a set) and didn't respond... just kind of can't believe some people are actually like that. I'm still glad I lifted today, but with all the other stress in my life I really didn't need that during my workout.

Let what she said go. If you focus on it, you give her garbage power over you.

You're such a Nice Guy

large.gif
  • Cranquistador
    Options
    This story stinks.

Yeah, and I was joffed all over the place.

Peace out.
  • DYELB
    DYELB Posts: 7,407 Member
    Options
    6b5.jpg
  • Furbuster
    Furbuster Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    Maybe its my British sensibilities but one bloke saying go have a w*** in the ladies section where I'm trying to workout seemed bad form and offensive to me (worker or no). I guess I'm just more conservative in nature.

I was trying to show that it is possible that there are offensive people (subjective) in gyms (even if you haven't run into them). So yes in my mind it was kinda relevant. Sometimes these things don't come across very well.

I have no idea what joffed means....

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    LenGray wrote: »
    Regardless of whether this happened or didn't happen, this forum is called Motivation and Support. Last time I checked, telling someone that they're a liar because their story is unlikely in your frame of experience is neither motivating or supportive.

a lot of people on this site are already needlessly scared of the gym...people tell these kinds of stories and it just confirms their unfounded fears...so they remain irrationally fearful for no good reason...if this did happen, it's nowhere close to normal or something anyone should really be worried about.

I'd also wonder, if this did happen, if there isn't more to the story...particularly as this looks to have happened at an apartment complex gym.
  • sheermomentum
    sheermomentum Posts: 827 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    yopeeps025 wrote: »

Well some men do feel that poking fun like that work. Ever wonder how you throw like a girl became an insult to guys.

That's true - just seemed wrong to me, I wouldn't do that if it were my business, I'd tell my staff off if he said that in front of customers. Maybe I'm just touchy as I said.

You're not overly touchy. That was a totally sexist and inappropriate comment and you were right to report it. Letting him belittle the women in the gym would be just about the same as the OP letting this rude little brat run her away from the weights she's up to using.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    LenGray wrote: »
    Regardless of whether this happened or didn't happen, this forum is called Motivation and Support. Last time I checked, telling someone that they're a liar because their story is unlikely in your frame of experience is neither motivating or supportive.

^^^^^^^ This exactly! This is another type of bully. If you cant contribute in a positive way then why say anything at all....or maybe it just makes them feel better. I guess being the internet people will say whatever they feel like without caring how it could make another person feel.

exactly! i couldn't agree more! so people should stop making up stories that only serve to reinforce negative beliefs about what actually happens in gyms.
  • DavPul
    Options
    DavPul wrote: »
    25 years of spending tons of time in gyms and I've yet to see anything like this occur on any level. Add me to the list of people that doubt this really happened.

Logical fallacy. It is anything but logical.

Your 25 years experience in a gym is meaningless, in regards to the OP. You weren't there. Just because it doesn't fit your logical fallacy premise, that doesn't mean it didn't happen.

okay. i'll just go around believing every far out thing i ever hear, because it *could* happen, no matter how unlikely it sounds and how actual life experiences dictates that it's outside the bounds of normal behavior. seems legit.
  • DavPul
    Options
    25 years of spending tons of time in gyms and I've yet to see anything like this occur on any level. Add me to the list of people that doubt this really happened.

I agree, I am very skeptical that this actually happened the way it was described, or at all.
    Also, the OP's profile is sketchy itself...no gender, no pic...
    A person needs a pic or a filled out profile to be believable?

Did you ever consider that your logical fallacy thinking is the problem? If not, take some time to consider it.

have you ever considered that you have no idea what you're talking about?
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    fart next time and say why don't you try breathing some real heavy air
  • BasicGreatGuy
    BasicGreatGuy Posts: 868 Member
    Options

Logical fallacy. It is anything but logical.

Your 25 years experience in a gym is meaningless, in regards to the OP. You weren't there. Just because it doesn't fit your logical fallacy premise, that doesn't mean it didn't happen.

okay. i'll just go around believing every far out thing i ever hear, because it *could* happen, no matter how unlikely it sounds and how actual life experiences dictates that it's outside the bounds of normal behavior. seems legit.

One person being rude to another is not what some wild unimaginable "far out thing." It happens in a lot of places including this forum.

All the OP did was relay that he or she was belittled by another gym member. As far as I know, the OP was not trolling nor does the OP have a history of such.

It is not logical to believe that because such has never happened to you, that such cannot or did not happen to someone else, no matter how many times you want to run the circular logic route.

Your post was illogical because it was based on logical fallacy. That is the ugly truth.
  • BasicGreatGuy
    BasicGreatGuy Posts: 868 Member
    Options

I agree, I am very skeptical that this actually happened the way it was described, or at all.

Did you ever consider that your logical fallacy thinking is the problem? If not, take some time to consider it.

When it comes to pointing out such things as logical fallacy, I do know what I am am talking about.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options

When it comes to pointing out such things as logical fallacy, I do know what I am am talking about.

Jon-Hamm-Sure-Thing.gif
  • Bebejuice
    Bebejuice Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    z304 wrote: »
    I lifted today! That's the good part. A few other people were in the gym, including one girl who was lifting much heavier than I was- I'm using fairly small weights because I haven't lifted forever and I'm only a few weeks into doing it again- I'd rather be safe and build up to where I was than hurt myself.
    After she was done she walked over, DROPPED a huge dumbbell next to me and said "try lifting something real" and walked out. I just kept lifting (I was in the middle of a set) and didn't respond... just kind of can't believe some people are actually like that. I'm still glad I lifted today, but with all the other stress in my life I really didn't need that during my workout.

Da hardest part of working out, is actually getting urself there. Keep ur eyes on da prize and disregard any haters. Be proud of urself for working ur way to a healthier life style. Cheers!
  • sympha01
    sympha01 Posts: 942 Member
    Options
    firstsip wrote: »
    "I noticed this other woman lifting more than me and obsessed about it the entire time. She happened to drop weights near me and I assumed she must have been thinking this. What a b."

^^This.
  • carliekitty
    carliekitty Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    Obviously she needed a snickers bar cause she wasn't acting like herself!