Can you calorie overload?

Options
If I eat a 10,000 calorie meal, is my body actually going to absorb all those calories?? Seems like it couldn't process even half of them at one time.

Replies

• shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    Options
    0.0 I dunno, but man the thought of eating that much at once *shudder* I know myself well enough to know I'd be sick. I can't even finish a double quarter pounder with cheese these days unless I skip breakfast and lunch. Even in that scenario it would make me feel sick.

For the record I used to be able to eat 2 plus fries in one sitting. :disappointed:
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    No
  • Protranser
    Protranser Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    If I eat a 10,000 calorie meal, is my body actually going to absorb all those calories?? Seems like it couldn't process even half of them at one time.

So, lets say you participated in an eating contest. Depending on the calorie density of the food, I'd imagine one could consume 10,000+ calories that day. I believe your body would use those calories over time. You would end up eating approx ᤾5 days worth of calories in one sitting. So, you'd have to fast for 5 days to not let that all get stored as fat
  • karyabc
    karyabc Posts: 830 Member
    Options
    0.0 I dunno, but man the thought of eating that much at once *shudder* I know myself well enough to know I'd be sick. I can't even finish a double quarter pounder with cheese these days unless I skip breakfast and lunch. Even in that scenario it would make me feel sick.

For the record I used to be able to eat 2 plus fries in one sitting. :disappointed:

I used to be able to eat lots of pizza, now after 1 slice uhhh! :/
  • Merkavar
    Merkavar Posts: 3,082 Member
    Options
    I've thought this too.

Like say you were going to over eat, could you go all out and eat 10k calories and only have your body able to process 6k or something,

Like a tipping point that once you reach it the calories are free.
  • Protranser
    Options
    Merkavar wrote: »
    I've thought this too.

Like say you were going to over eat, could you go all out and eat 10k calories and only have your body able to process 6k or something,

The obesity class 3+ people can eat upwards of 8000 calories daily. I think if there were a "free calorie intake" zone, they'd have found it first B)
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    Your body will take the time it needs to process the food. Unless you throw it up, it will come out as poop, thus meaning it has been processed.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    I've thought this too.

Sounds to good to be true..
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    I've thought this too.

But what goes in must come out. Unless it comes out in the same form that it went in (undigested), then it has been processed in the normal way.
  • bpetrosky
    bpetrosky Posts: 3,911 Member
    Options
    Go to the Caesars buffet, eat until you pop. If you see any undigested food come out the other end, you have the answer.
  • Wheelhouse15
    Wheelhouse15 Posts: 5,575 Member
    Options
    I don't think you could come close to 10K in one meal so is this just an academic question?
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options

No. There are limits to how much the body can absorb, past a certain point new food just pushed old food out that bottom exit before it can be fully digested.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    That is a lot of food, but one day is not going to make you gain weight. Might bloat you up, and if you eat like that often, you can expect to see an increase of fat on the scale, thought.
  • Protranser
    Options
    Mr_Knight wrote: »
    No. There are limits to how much the body can absorb, past a certain point new food just pushed old food out that bottom exit before it can be fully digested.

What if it were low volume high calorie food? A bunch of high calorie shakes, for example?
  • TNoire
    TNoire Posts: 642 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    Remember this

It takes 3500 BURNED cals to lose 1lb of fat
    therefore it takes 3500 calories to gain 1lb of fat

food for thought @danieltsmoke

Also if you lose to fast you gain back just as fast (learned that from experience)

slow and steady wins the race :)
  • TNoire
    Options

I used to eat one meal a day but that isn't good, your body goes into starvation mode and holds onto everything it can to get what nutrients it needs = weight gain in the long run, i learned that the hard way myself ._.

• minties82
    minties82 Posts: 907 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    Protranser wrote: »
    I've thought this too.

The obesity class 3+ people can eat upwards of 8000 calories daily. I think if there were a "free calorie intake" zone, they'd have found it first B)

Even I couldn't eat that much at obese class 3, which I was at the start of this year. That is a lot! I got that size eating around 3,000 on a hungry day.
  • TNoire
    Options
    On average a person will consume 3000+ cals a day and not know it, even carb intake around 300+

I remember hearing that on the Biggest Loser once

I used to do that and not know it til i gained 200lbs when I quit smoking cause I kept eating

Now I am trying to fight to get the weight off
  • V_Keto_V
    V_Keto_V Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    No, you can not absorb every kcal that high in 1 sitting. I have personally been eating 1 meal a day for roughly 5 years & I will have kcal refeed days in the 5,000+kcal range. I have had days were I would eat an entire jar of coconut butter (3,000+kcals) and actually weigh the same or even sometimes less the next day. Malabsorption plays a part as well as hormones (in addition to water...related to hormones AVP/ADH). It's best just not to think about it in terms of physics/law of conservation of energy...I am sure body temperature changes in addition to respiration (exhaling CO2, inhaling O2) as well but I have never been anal enough to measure frequently enough after said refeeds.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    Protranser wrote: »
    Mr_Knight wrote: »

What if it were low volume high calorie food? A bunch of high calorie shakes, for example?

The threshold point would change, but there would still be a point at which you're just connecting input to output.