Strength training and eating maintenance: Finally going for it, but it mentally feels weird.

Options
trustymutsi
trustymutsi Posts: 174 Member
edited August 2015 in Fitness and Exercise
3 years ago I started this thread: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/721017/doctor-says-i-dont-need-to-lose-anymore-weight/p1

I basically asked "My doctor says I'm at a good weight at 189 lbs, but the BMI shows me at an upper range. Is she wrong? I'm 6'2" and 43 years old. I don't look overweight with clothes on, but I want to lose this spare tire and look muscular."

Paraphrased general responses: "Eat at maintenance. Do strength training. You will gain weight in the form of lean muscle. You will lose the spare tire."

This was the overwhelming consensus. Looking back, I had a VERY hard time with the idea of eating maintenance. I think I'd been eating at a deficit for so long, I'd maybe developed a kind of eating disorder, where I REALLY feared gaining weight. So despite all the good advice, I couldn't bring myself to eat maintenance. It just freaked me out.

Fast forward to now. I've been eating at a deficit for a LONG time (usually 1,500 - 1,800 calories per day). Sometimes eating a lot of good whole foods, but most of the time eating too much processed. I'd do well for a week or two, binge, and start over. I was trying to strength train on a deficit and not eat enough protein. I did cardio. I tried "YouFood" and just take pictures of what I ate every day. NOTHING has worked.

So I finally have snapped and I'm eating maintenance, eating .7 grams of protein per lb of body weight, and am doing Stronglifts 5X5. I'm eating mostly whole foods. About 10% of my food is processed. A lot of my carbs are coming from fruit and veggies. If it's carbs, it's a whole grain, high fiber/low sugar carb. I'm eating every 3 hours.

Eating this way has been filling me up and I'm not struggling with binging for the first time in a LONG while. I always feel FULL. Foos is becoming fuel, not a hobby. It's been going like this for a week (actually TWO weeks doing Stronglifts).

So things are going well, but here's the thing: Mentally I'm REALLY struggling. It's freaking me out to eat this much. I'm weighing and measuring EVERYTHING. I'm eating good whole foods. I'm at 2,200 calories a day. I shouldn't freak out, but I am NOT used to this. Most of the last 15 years of my life has been a deficit, unless I was binging or at a point where I had given up for a week or month. I'm sticking to it, but part of my brain keeps telling me "You won't look good or be healthy eating like this. You'd always going to be dumpy and pear shaped. You'll have this spare tire forever."

The other mental struggle is the weight lifting. I started at 45 lb weights, and have been adding 5 lbs per workout. It's finally getting a little challenging, but again, I keep thinking "There's no way this will work. You're never going to build any muscle. You need to live at a gym to do that. This isn't enough. You're wasting your time."

I guess I'm just looking for some encouragement, or maybe even some stories of other people who struggled with this, but made it.

Also, I have a few questions:

1. Should I eat more than .7 grams of protein per lb? I'm not lifting enough yet for it to be a struggle, but I'm getting there. Should I just bite the bullet and go 1 gram per lb? Should I wait until I hit a wall and can't lift any more

2. Should I ADD calories yet? Should I eat enough to gain .5 a lb per week, or even 1 lb per week? Or, as with the protein, should I wait until I hit a wall and can't lift any more?

3. I'm pretty tall. Is it a mistake to do 5X5? Will that cause me to tear something? Should I go with 8 reps instead? Is less weight, more reps better or safer?

Also, here's how I currently look: http://imgur.com/1P3k186

Thanks for any advice or encouragement.

Replies

• DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    Options
    You seem to be a bit confused as to eating at mainenance and gaining. Eating maintenance means you will not gain, but you have to track carefully to find your exact numbers. Stick with the 5x5, it is worth it. .7-.8 g protein/lb lbm should be fine. You will essentially be doing a recomp-slowly losing fat and building muscle.
  • cwilso37
    cwilso37 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I have found at various points in my life that it was beneficial to see someone to talk about where I was a little mentally off. If these fears and issues are harming your life (or being a great annoyance) it might help you to do the same.

As for lifting, it will work with enough time under bar. It is not a miracle cure, and wont happen over night. So just do it now and you will thank yourself in a few months.

Many people advocate for Stronglifts or ice cream fitness either are fine for you. Watch some videos on youtube about form / ask someone at the gym (or personal trainer).

You can do it
  • foursirius
    foursirius Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    1.) .7 should be fine but if you want to bump your protein up and something down go for it.

2.) That depends on how you calculated your intake. If you used TDEE the you don't need to adjust.

3.) 5x5 should be fine. Lift heavy *kitten* and you'll get stronger.
  • trustymutsi
    Options
    You seem to be a bit confused as to eating at mainenance and gaining. Eating maintenance means you will not gain, but you have to track carefully to find your exact numbers. Stick with the 5x5, it is worth it. .7-.8 g protein/lb lbm should be fine. You will essentially be doing a recomp-slowly losing fat and building muscle.

I actually do know what it means, but I can see how it looks like I don't. I said maintenance for 2 reasons: 1. That's what most people had suggested on the original thread. 2. I'm scared to death to eat above maintenance. But I won't gain if I don't eat above maintenance, will I?

Let me adjust my 2nd question: Should eat maintenance until I can't lift more, and then eat above maintenance (add about 500 calories), or start eating above maintenance now?
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    Right now I think that you need to eat at maintenance. It is hard for me to see 2200 calories as your maintenance level, considering your height and weight, though if you have truly been eating 1500-1800 calories for years it is possible. I would say stick to 2200 for a couple of weeks. Then up it by 100-200 calories and stick with that for a couple of weeks. Then up it again by 100-200. Then repeat that again This should give you time to get used to eating more, both mentally and physiologically.

This is a new calculator that I like for determining maintenance calories. Click on the Switch to Expert Mode button and then use it to find your calories to stay the same weight. I just ran it for a 6'2" 189 lb 43 year old man and it looks like maintenance would be around 2900 calories at the 1.7 activity level. I'd aim to get to that calorie level for now and not worry about eating over maintenance for the time being. It seems like that may be too stressful for you.

Also, don't worry about trying to eat super "clean." It's not necessary to eat a diet devoid of non "whole foods" in order to be healthy. Moderation is the key.
  • trustymutsi
    edited August 2015
    Options
    jemhh wrote: »
    Right now I think that you need to eat at maintenance. It is hard for me to see 2200 calories as your maintenance level, considering your height and weight, though if you have truly been eating 1500-1800 calories for years it is possible. I would say stick to 2200 for a couple of weeks. Then up it by 100-200 calories and stick with that for a couple of weeks. Then up it again by 100-200. Then repeat that again This should give you time to get used to eating more, both mentally and physiologically.

This is a new calculator that I like for determining maintenance calories. Click on the Switch to Expert Mode button and then use it to find your calories to stay the same weight. I just ran it for a 6'2" 189 lb 43 year old man and it looks like maintenance would be around 2900 calories at the 1.7 activity level. I'd aim to get to that calorie level for now and not worry about eating over maintenance for the time being. It seems like that may be too stressful for you.

Also, don't worry about trying to eat super "clean." It's not necessary to eat a diet devoid of non "whole foods" in order to be healthy. Moderation is the key.

I really like that calculator. It is more detailed in describing activity levels. I also came up with 1.7. For some reason though, I got 3,102. I wonder why we got different results? I also put in 43 yr old, 6'2", 189 lbs.

I also made a mistake in my post. 3 years ago when I posted that message, I was 189. I'm now 193. For 193 I get 3,133.

Either way, that's a LOT more than I've been doing. I wonder why the MFP app is so different?

As for whole foods, the main reason I'm eating cleaner is because the whole foods are more filling for me, and for once in my life I don't want to eat too much. I get what you're saying. In fact, I had some ice cream and bugles last night :)
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options

I really like that calculator. It is more detailed in describing activity levels. I also came up with 1.7. For some reason though, I got 3,102. I wonder why we got different results? I also put in 43 yr old, 6'2", 189 lbs.

I also made a mistake in my post. 3 years ago when I posted that message, I was 189. I'm now 193. For 193 I get 3,133.

Either way, that's a LOT more than I've been doing. I wonder why the MFP app is so different?

As for whole foods, the main reason I'm eating cleaner is because the whole foods are more filling for me, and for once in my life I don't want to eat too much. I get what you're saying. In fact, I had some ice cream and bugles last night :)

I just redid it. Your 3102 is right. I didn't hit Tab after getting the 1.7 so it didn't register and was calculating your activity at 1.6.

Keep in mind that the MFP goal is your base calorie goal. Then you are supposed to log your exercise and eat those calories. Lots of people find that the MFP exercise numbers are overstated but then there are people who find they are not. Also, sometimes the sedentary number is too low even if you work a sit down 9-5 type of job. Every calculator is a best guess and the numbers have to be tweaked once you start using them. I know, though, that I maintain at around 2400 and when I use the calculator that I linked above, it gives me a number really close to that, which makes me trust it more than MFP, which gives me a lower number (even when I add in exercise.)

Ice cream and bugles sound good. That's moderation :)
  • trustymutsi
    edited August 2015
    Options

I just redid it. Your 3102 is right. I didn't hit Tab after getting the 1.7 so it didn't register and was calculating your activity at 1.6.

Keep in mind that the MFP goal is your base calorie goal. Then you are supposed to log your exercise and eat those calories. Lots of people find that the MFP exercise numbers are overstated but then there are people who find they are not. Also, sometimes the sedentary number is too low even if you work a sit down 9-5 type of job. Every calculator is a best guess and the numbers have to be tweaked once you start using them. I know, though, that I maintain at around 2400 and when I use the calculator that I linked above, it gives me a number really close to that, which makes me trust it more than MFP, which gives me a lower number (even when I add in exercise.)

Ice cream and bugles sound good. That's moderation :)

Awesome.

Thank you everyone for your feedback. It's been really helpful!
  • AmZam05
    AmZam05 Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    Look into reverse dieting. It's the process of adding 50-100 calories per week (starting where you've been eating) so your metabolism can adjust slowly. If you have been eating at a deficit for a long time, it's very likely your metabolism has adjusted. I agree with others that moving to maintenance and recomping is a good suggestion for you. Stronglifts is a great beginner program. Good luck, I've sent you a friend request since I'm in the same situation you are.
  • trustymutsi
    Options
    AmZam05 wrote: »
    Look into reverse dieting. It's the process of adding 50-100 calories per week (starting where you've been eating) so your metabolism can adjust slowly. If you have been eating at a deficit for a long time, it's very likely your metabolism has adjusted. I agree with others that moving to maintenance and recomping is a good suggestion for you. Stronglifts is a great beginner program. Good luck, I've sent you a friend request since I'm in the same situation you are.

What exactly is "recomping"?
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    Options
    Recomposition=changing your body composition to have a lower bf% and higher lbm. You do this by eating at maintenance and lifting so that your body slowly burns fat and builds a little muscle, but your scale weight remains stable.
  • kindrabbit
    kindrabbit Posts: 837 Member
    Options
    Op, I don't have anything to add as you've had excellent advice so far. I just want to say I know where you are and I get it!

I haven't been at this quite as long as you but I have lost 56lb in the last 2 years. I started with jogging, then started weight training and circuit training about a year and a half ago. I only started focussing on weights in the last 6 months. I started with stronglifts and have moved on to Madcow. I did all of that whilst eating at a deficit.

Over that 2 years I have moved from eating at a 500 cal deficit, then a 250 deficit. The original goal I set myself was to loose those 56lb (4 stone in UK numbers) and I hit that target a couple of weeks ago.

I am happy with my scale weight now but like you I want to change my shape. I see muscles developing that I never thought I'd see. I don't believe the physical change has just been fat loss - I have grown muscle tissue. I do eat back most, if not all of my exercise calories. If I can make those changes whilst eating at a deficit what can I achieve if I add more fuel and eat more?

That coincided with the school holidays so I decided to bite the bullet and go to maintenance. I know I wont 'grow' muscle at maintenance but I believe I can maintain my weight by balancing the calories I eat with the energy I use and perhaps burn some fat and gain some muscle size at the same time. I am still eating back all or most of my exercise calories

In just these last 2 weeks I have felt more energy and stronger than I have in a long time. I am actually still loosing weight very very slowly and I'm seeing results. The main goal? - I want to see my abs!

So basically, I just wanted to say keep on keeping on OP! Trust the process, trust the science. Eat to maintenance, enjoy the extra calories and use them to fuel your body so you can train hard and gain more strength and change your shape.

• MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    You write lots of words.
  • msf74
    msf74 Posts: 3,498 Member
    Options
    Read this:

Former Fat Boy

Then just do it.
  • kindrabbit
    kindrabbit Posts: 837 Member
    Options
    You write lots of words.

Did you read them?
  • DR2501
    DR2501 Posts: 661 Member
    Options
    msf74 wrote: »
    Read this:

Former Fat Boy

Then just do it.

Thanks for this, brilliant article that struck a chord with me!
  • trustymutsi
    edited August 2015
    Options
    kindrabbit wrote: »
    Op, I don't have anything to add as you've had excellent advice so far. I just want to say I know where you are and I get it!

I haven't been at this quite as long as you but I have lost 56lb in the last 2 years. I started with jogging, then started weight training and circuit training about a year and a half ago. I only started focussing on weights in the last 6 months. I started with stronglifts and have moved on to Madcow. I did all of that whilst eating at a deficit.

Over that 2 years I have moved from eating at a 500 cal deficit, then a 250 deficit. The original goal I set myself was to loose those 56lb (4 stone in UK numbers) and I hit that target a couple of weeks ago.

I am happy with my scale weight now but like you I want to change my shape. I see muscles developing that I never thought I'd see. I don't believe the physical change has just been fat loss - I have grown muscle tissue. I do eat back most, if not all of my exercise calories. If I can make those changes whilst eating at a deficit what can I achieve if I add more fuel and eat more?

That coincided with the school holidays so I decided to bite the bullet and go to maintenance. I know I wont 'grow' muscle at maintenance but I believe I can maintain my weight by balancing the calories I eat with the energy I use and perhaps burn some fat and gain some muscle size at the same time. I am still eating back all or most of my exercise calories

In just these last 2 weeks I have felt more energy and stronger than I have in a long time. I am actually still loosing weight very very slowly and I'm seeing results. The main goal? - I want to see my abs!

So basically, I just wanted to say keep on keeping on OP! Trust the process, trust the science. Eat to maintenance, enjoy the extra calories and use them to fuel your body so you can train hard and gain more strength and change your shape.

Thanks for sharing. It helped a lot! I look at myself in the mirror, and honestly think I need to do deficit a bit more, and get my body fat % to at LEAST 15-20%. BUT... I also think after 2 months, I'll give myself a couple weeks of maintenance. I hear it's good to do that once in a while to keep your metabolism from getting burned out. Or is that bro science?
  • trustymutsi
    Options
    msf74 wrote: »
    Read this:

Former Fat Boy

Then just do it.

Great read. Thanks!
  • trustymutsi
    Options