I stopped losing weight even at 1000 cals/day! Help!?

Options
2»

Replies

• healthygreek
    healthygreek Posts: 2,137 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    1. You're eating more than you think. Weigh everything meticulously and measure all your caloric beverages!
    2. Weight loss slows down after a while so have patience.
    3. Drink lots of water if you're eating lots of salt (packaged prepared foods)
    4. ETA-as a mother and grandmother. I'm taking this moment to ask you-where are your veggies and fruit?!?
  • WBB55
    WBB55 Posts: 4,131 Member
    Options
    Here's what you need to understand:

If you're being accurate with your calorie intake (i.e. using a scale to weigh everything and logging everything) YOU WILL NOT GAIN FAT if you eat anywhere below 2000 calories per day. That is your maintenance calories with no exercise. One day to the next you might gain water weight from sodium or TOM, but you will NOT GAIN FAT if you eat less than 2000 calories every day.

I think you should eat at least 1400 calories per day. Hopefully this will give you the energy to exercise again. If so, "eat back" about half the exercise calories you earn. Ok?
  • rosebette
    rosebette Posts: 1,660 Member
    Options
    It's not unusual to plateau a bit. Weight loss is not linear, and you did lose 25 lbs. in 2 months, which is a bout 3 lbs. a week, a really good rate. I'd stick to 1400, be tighter about tracking, and cut back on sodium, packaged foods. If you need to eat because you're "full" at 700 calories, choose nutrient dense foods such as lean meat, eggs, nuts.
  • DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,652 Member
    Options
    beechjb wrote: »
    Take your caloric intake up to 2000 for a week while mixing up your macro amounts(proteins, carbs, fats). In other words- high protein one day, high complex carbs the next, etc...and make sure are active daily or exercising. You have plateaued and need to surprise your body/metabolism. Trust me- try it.
    Don't trust him. Your metabolism isn't sentient and doesn't need to be surprised.
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options
    Wait, you lost 25 pounds in 5 weeks?
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    You just have really unreasonable expectations, OP. You're not going to lose weight every week. Maybe not every month even. There will be times when you are losing fat but water retention will mask it. You just need to keep eating at a reasonable deficit and keep at it. Eating 1000 calories is not a reasonable deficit. There is absolutely no reason at all for you to eat that low. A net of 1400-1500 is fine (you should be eating exercise calories, or at least 50% of them btw.)

And I'll go ahead and echo the reminder that your 25 pound loss was fast. Don't think that's going to continue or pick up again. It's just not going to happen.
  • discretekim
    discretekim Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    Yeah reading this it looks like you've been stalled for a week. That isn't even enough to call a plateau. Just up your calories and take your time.
  • rosalieken
    rosalieken Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    There is no way my body went into starvation mode after 1 week of eating at 1000 cals. It should be noted that I lost the first few pounds before I really started tracking. Up until the 25th of last month I was losing 2-3 lbs a week, which I was happy about but now I'm down to like 1 lb a week, which just doesn't make sense. I'm obviously burning more calories than I'm I taking so water weight is the only thing I can think of.
  • jeffpettis
    jeffpettis Posts: 865 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    First, there is no such thing as starvation mode and second, weight loss is not linear. Some weeks you will lose more some weeks you will lose less. Even if you change nothing you will have ups and downs. You need to focus on the long term trend.

And 1 week is not a plateau.
  • strong_curves
    strong_curves Posts: 2,229 Member
    Options

Yeah, I'm stuck on that too.

• rosalieken
    Options

Yeah, I'm stuck on that too.

Again, I started losing weight before I started logging I lost about 22lbs in 10 weeks. Where is everyone getting 5 weeks from?
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    And how long have you not been losing weight?
  • rosalieken
    Options
    auddii wrote: »
    And how long have you not been losing weight?

I went 2 weeks without losing anything. Dropped about 3 lbs and stopped losing again for the last week
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    So, you're still losing weight, you just have unreasonable expectations. Weight loss is not linear; some weeks you won't lose, some weeks you'll lose a little, and some weeks you'll lose a lot. As you've seen.
  • jeffpettis
    jeffpettis Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    beechjb wrote: »
    Take your caloric intake up to 2000 for a week while mixing up your macro amounts(proteins, carbs, fats). In other words- high protein one day, high complex carbs the next, etc...and make sure are active daily or exercising. You have plateaued and need to surprise your body/metabolism. Trust me- try it.

...or you can sneak up on it and say BOO!!! That might surprise it too. :D

Sorry. Couldn't resist.