Study proves protein isn't filling

Options

Replies

• Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    My rack of ribs from the weekend was quite filling.

Your anecdotal evidence means nothing to my science

I don't think a claim that these studies (of water-based protein drinks) prove that protein isn't filling can be legitimately called "science."

5 whole people as well...
  • strong_curves
    strong_curves Posts: 2,229 Member
    Options
    giphy.gif
  • DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,652 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    It's almost like there haven't been dozens of posts here relating to the idea that protein shakes are not necessarily satiating and could end up spurring overeating as compared to getting protein from solid food.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    My rack of ribs from the weekend was quite filling.

Your anecdotal evidence means nothing to my science

I don't think a claim that these studies (of water-based protein drinks) prove that protein isn't filling can be legitimately called "science."

It's only science when you agree with it?

That isn't at all what I said. I said the studies don't prove your claim. That would hold whether I agreed with your claim or not.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,871 Member
    Options
    trolls.jpg
  • SergeantSausage
    SergeantSausage Posts: 1,673 Member
    Options
    Pfffft

I call Shenanigans.

This protein
    fills me up quite satisfactorily. Every time I order it. Every. Time.

72ozsteak.jpg

• lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    Here are a few studies which show protein is more satiating than carbs or fats. You have to realize that highly processed foods like whey protein powder are not as satiating as something like eggs or meat, which is what your study suggests. The study you posted can't be extrapolated to all protein sources.

http://m.ajcn.nutrition.org/content/87/5/1558S.long

http://www.nutritionj.com/content/13/1/97

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/m/pubmed/20847729/

Maybe its the fat in those products that make you full. Meat and eggs are more than just protein bro

Lean fish and chicken breast and shrimp fill me up. Higher fat dairy is no more satiating to me than skim. (Full fat cheese is a million times tastier, though.)

Also, since that's anecdotal -- although it may well vary by person so people should experiment and decide for themselves what works, even if that means they find that pasta and potatoes fill them up, as some do -- here: http://ajcn.nutrition.org/content/87/5/1558S.long
    It is well established that under most conditions, protein is more satiating than the isoenergetic ingestion of carbohydrate or fat (8, 11-13). This suggests that a modest increase in protein, at the expense of the other macronutrients, may promote satiety and facilitate weight loss through reduced energy consumption (20). The increased satiety from protein has been observed in a single meal (21, 22) and over 24 h (23). In one short-term study, satiety and metabolic rate were examined over a 24-h period in a respiration chamber. Throughout the day, satiety was greater in the high-protein group (protein/carbohydrate/fat: 30/60/10% energy) compared with the high-fat group (protein/carbohydrate/fat: 10/30/60% energy). Importantly, this effect was noted during postprandial periods as well as during meals (12). It must be noted, however, that in this instance greater satiety was observed in response to a 3-fold greater protein load, a condition unlikely to represent a normal dietary intake for most individuals. Despite some evidence that habitual exposure to a higher-protein diet may diminish its effect on satiety (24), others have suggested that the greater satiating effects of a higher-protein diet are relatively long lasting (25-27). In a 16-week study, subjects consuming a high-protein (34%)/lower-fat (29%) diet reported greater postmeal satiety than subjects consuming a standard protein (18%)/higher-fat (45%) diet (27).
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,871 Member
    Options
    It's almost like there haven't been dozens of posts here relating to the idea that protein shakes are not necessarily satiating and could end up spurring overeating as compared to getting protein from solid food.

large.jpg
  • rushfive
    rushfive Posts: 603 Member
    Options
    giphy.gif

LOL !!!!!!
  • msf74
    msf74 Posts: 3,498 Member
    Options
    Here are a few studies which show protein is more satiating than carbs or fats. You have to realize that highly processed foods like whey protein powder are not as satiating as something like eggs or meat, which is what your study suggests. The study you posted can't be extrapolated to all protein sources.

http://m.ajcn.nutrition.org/content/87/5/1558S.long

http://www.nutritionj.com/content/13/1/97

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/m/pubmed/20847729/

Maybe its the fat in those products that make you full. Meat and eggs are more than just protein bro

No, it still looks like the protein if this is anything to go by:

ajcn.nutrition.org/content/82/1/41.full
  • AlabasterVerve
    AlabasterVerve Posts: 3,171 Member
    Options
    If protein isn't protein does that mean we can end the sugar is sugar arguments now?
  • aledba
    aledba Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    You keep asking for some science, here you go haters

ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/26130302

Tell that to my stomach.

Your summarization skills are sorely lacking.

• DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,652 Member
    Options
    If protein isn't protein does that mean we can end the sugar is sugar arguments now?
    Who said protein wasn't protein?

• Pinnacle_IAO
    Pinnacle_IAO Posts: 608 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options

OUCH...so embarrassing...lol
    :o
    The study involves something called "low-dose whey protein-enriched and sucrose-enriched water beverages"...lol

Please, let's not pretend this absurd conclusion would actually apply to real food.
    Here's my study...real food protein was filling, and I lost 100 pounds and have maintained weight for 3 years.
    vyfbq63ay8xe.png

• Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    Meat sits like a rock in my stomach. It's more than filling. It's...ugck. Heavy.

I prefer fiber-rich foods. Just as filling, but without the heaviness.

I don't use the powders.
  • ASKyle
    ASKyle Posts: 1,475 Member
    Options
    Study: Protein water and sugar water are not satiating for 60 obese women.

OP: Study proves protein isn't filling.

LOL
  • _John_
    _John_ Posts: 8,642 Member
    Options
    doesn't this also demonstrate that overweight/obese women can't control what they eat, even when given a beverage that has previously been demonstrated to increase fullness?
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options

Isnt the study just concerned with low dosage protein enhaced water? The beverages were 2 (178 kJ) and 4% (348 kJ) protein-enriched water. You could have inccluded that in the title. It doesnt prove that protein in and of itself cant be filling. Not sure you think what you are proving.