What am I doing wrong?

Options
I started out in early July with outstanding weight loss (1-2 lbs./week) on a low carb/low calorie diet. Now it seems I am gaining some of the weight back instead of continuing to lose (gained 1.6 pounds since August 1st). Husband has mentioned that I might not be losing weight because I am eating too little - starvation mode. I'm eating about 1300 calories, 100 units of carbs and 100 units of fat a day so I don't think this is the cause. Am I eating too little? Too much? Too many carbs from fat? Blerg. I can't really use the "muscle weighs more than fat" argument because my exercise consists of walking and a weekly Zumba class - not really muscle building activities.

I realize that once again I am obsessing about my weight instead of overall health and that a weight fluctuation of 1-2 pounds isn't a big deal but I am still concerned about losing my momentum and July weight-loss.

What am I doing wrong?

For reference:
5'4", female, 32.
July 1st: 200.9 lbs
August 7th: 192.9
August 8th: 194.1
August 12th: 194.5

Replies

• TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    It is impossible to gain weight from eating too little.
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    Opening your diary might get you more specific advice (if you're comfortable sharing it). Otherwise, these are my really general tips:

1. If it's been less than 3 weeks or so, don't sweat it! Normal fluctuations happen and unfortunately sometimes we stall for a week or two even when we're doing everything right. Give your body some time to catch up with the changes you're making.

2. If you aren't already, be sure that you're logging everything. Sometimes people forget about things like veggies, drinks, cooking oils, and condiments. For some people these can add up to enough to halt your weight loss progress.

3. Consider buying a food scale if you don't already have one. They're about $10-$20 dollars in the US and easily found at places like Amazon, Target, and Walmart. Measuring cups and spoons are great, but they do come with some degree of inaccuracy. A food scale will be more accurate, and for some people it makes a big difference.

4. Logging accurately also means choosing accurate entries in the database. There are a lot of user-entered entries that are off. Double-check that you're using good entries and/or using the recipe builder instead of someone else's homemade entries.

5. Recalculate your goals if you haven't lately. As you lose weight your body requires fewer calories to run. Be sure you update your goals every ten pounds or so.

6. If you're eating back your exercise calories and you're relying on gym machine readouts or MFP's estimates, it might be best to eat back just 50-75% of those. Certain activities tend to be overestimated. If you're using an HRM or activity tracker, it might be a good idea to look into their accuracy and be sure that yours is calibrated properly.

7. If you're taking any cheat days that go over your calorie limits, it might be best to cut them out for a few weeks and see what happens. Some people go way over their calorie needs without realizing it when they don't track.

8. If you weigh yourself frequently, consider using a program like trendweight to even out the fluctuations. You could be losing weight but just don't see it because of the daily ups and downs.

9. Some people just burn fewer calories than the calculators predict. If you continue to have problems after 4-6 weeks, then it might be worth a trip to the doctor or a registered dietitian who can give you more specific advice.
  • raellehousek
    raellehousek Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Once your body gets used to what you're doing it starts to maintain. You'll need to switch something up- change of food and/or push a little harder in your work out. Whole foods give you better nutrition than processed (not sure what your diary is like) rule of thumb is to stick to things with 5 ingredients or less.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    "Starvation mode," in the sense that your husband is using it, isn't an actual thing. If you open your diary you may be better advice -- unexpected weight gain can sometimes be related to logging issues. This could also just be a fluctuation. I often see my weight go up twice a month -- when I ovulate and right before my period. The amount you have "gained" is well within the daily range of variation for most people.
  • missprecocious
    missprecocious Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Your body may fluctuate in weight +/- 5 lbs any given day. It has to do with water retention, eating a meal that takes longer to digest (so it sits in your guts a little longer). I would highly recommend weighing in just ONCE a week, in the morning, right when you get up. That way you aren't frustrated with a couple pounds here and there.
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    what @dianethegreat said
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    A pound and a half in five days is nothing to worry about. Are you in TOM right now?

Also, starvation mode does not work that way.
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    Options
    @diannethegeek pretty much summed it up. Sounds like you just need to tighten up the logging and you'll be fine. Most of this is probably water weight fluctuations - mine varies ~6lbs/day.

Have you considered incorporating resistance training of some sort? Very beneficial and provides a whole new set of exercises to work on.
  • Nuke_64
    Nuke_64 Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    Once your body gets used to what you're doing it starts to maintain. You'll need to switch something up- change of food and/or push a little harder in your work out. Whole foods give you better nutrition than processed (not sure what your diary is like) rule of thumb is to stick to things with 5 ingredients or less.

None of this is true.
  • maplegirlst
    maplegirlst Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone for your replies. I have opened my diary for public viewing. I've been pretty serious about logging my food with the correct ingredients and servings. I think weighing my food might be a good idea.

Malibu927: What is TOM?

Nuke_64: Can you elaborate? I have heard what raellehousek wrote about many times.

I have been thinking about upping my exercise. There are some classes at my gym that I've been wanting to try. Most notably; spinning, Hatha yoga and TRX. I wish my gym offered krav maga or another martial arts class. Starting in September they are offering Zumba twice a week. I am very excited about this. It has taken me my whole life to find a fitness/cardio activity I actually enjoy (aside from going for walks).

• malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    Time of the month/your period
  • madhatter2013
    madhatter2013 Posts: 1,547 Member
    Options
    Opening your diary might get you more specific advice (if you're comfortable sharing it). Otherwise, these are my really general tips:

1. If it's been less than 3 weeks or so, don't sweat it! Normal fluctuations happen and unfortunately sometimes we stall for a week or two even when we're doing everything right. Give your body some time to catch up with the changes you're making.

2. If you aren't already, be sure that you're logging everything. Sometimes people forget about things like veggies, drinks, cooking oils, and condiments. For some people these can add up to enough to halt your weight loss progress.

3. Consider buying a food scale if you don't already have one. They're about $10-$20 dollars in the US and easily found at places like Amazon, Target, and Walmart. Measuring cups and spoons are great, but they do come with some degree of inaccuracy. A food scale will be more accurate, and for some people it makes a big difference.

4. Logging accurately also means choosing accurate entries in the database. There are a lot of user-entered entries that are off. Double-check that you're using good entries and/or using the recipe builder instead of someone else's homemade entries.

5. Recalculate your goals if you haven't lately. As you lose weight your body requires fewer calories to run. Be sure you update your goals every ten pounds or so.

6. If you're eating back your exercise calories and you're relying on gym machine readouts or MFP's estimates, it might be best to eat back just 50-75% of those. Certain activities tend to be overestimated. If you're using an HRM or activity tracker, it might be a good idea to look into their accuracy and be sure that yours is calibrated properly.

7. If you're taking any cheat days that go over your calorie limits, it might be best to cut them out for a few weeks and see what happens. Some people go way over their calorie needs without realizing it when they don't track.

8. If you weigh yourself frequently, consider using a program like trendweight to even out the fluctuations. You could be losing weight but just don't see it because of the daily ups and downs.

9. Some people just burn fewer calories than the calculators predict. If you continue to have problems after 4-6 weeks, then it might be worth a trip to the doctor or a registered dietitian who can give you more specific advice.

You've got this in a word document, saved on stand by to cut and paste don't you? LOL
  • KRocka1981
    KRocka1981 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I was going to ask about TOM as well. I usually gain about a pound and it stays there for a week. Then, I lose it plus some. Last month I lost the pound plus another 1.5 lbs!
  • madhatter2013
    Options

Wut? My salad today was way more than 5 ingredients and still under 400 calories. Where is this "rule"?
  • shrinkingletters
    shrinkingletters Posts: 1,008 Member
    Options

Wut? My salad today was way more than 5 ingredients and still under 400 calories. Where is this "rule"?

Right? Has this person ever had a good lasagna? Pie? Meatloaf?
  • madhatter2013
    Options

Right? Has this person ever had a good lasagna? Pie? Meatloaf?

Seems to have very unflavorful meals. :disappointed:
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    My weight can go up and down by a few pounds in a day (feel free to look at my weight report). Usually an elevated weight will be followed my a loss. I wouldn't worry about it at this point. Keep at it! :)
  • maplegirlst
    maplegirlst Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Lol! Thanks!

I am on day 19 of my (approximately) 25 day cycle. My TOM is due in about 8 days. I guess that puts me at about the tail end of my ovulation. At what point in a lady's cycle do most of us gain weight?
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options

You've got this in a word document, saved on stand by to cut and paste don't you? LOL

Yes I do! This one and my general tips for hunger are both copy/pasted from text documents on my computer. It's just easier than trying to remember all of the points I want to make in every thread.

• strong_curves
    strong_curves Posts: 2,229 Member
    Options

Yes I do! This one and my general tips for hunger are both copy/pasted from text documents on my computer. It's just easier than trying to remember all of the points I want to make in every thread.

Good because it's such good, relevant information! 2 thumbs up from me :D