Here we go again... Meal replacement shakes

Options
Okay, I know this is played out. I've searched and read most of the forums.

Currently, I have zero time in the morning for breakfast. Lunch, I can prepare something..BUT I'm forgetful and I take advantage of every minute of sleep I can get in the morning until I must tend to the baby and get my 6 year old out of bed.

So! I've done Herbalife.. they taste good and I liked them but they are ridiculously expensive. For a full "meal" you have to purchase almost $100 in product! No.. I refuse to do this anymore.

Husband wanted to try Muscle Milk, so we bought some.. still in the testing phase on that. I understand I need to make sure I'm getting every bit of nutrition if this is going to replace a meal. I like Muscle Milk for the fact that it does have some fat, low sugar, carbs, and the protein level is good...

BUT I WANT OPTIONS!! What do ya'll use? I KNOW I need to eat real food. And we do for dinner, and we have healthy snacks. But right now, we've got a crazy life and we're trying to lose weight but make sure we get what we need.

Thanks in advance!!

Replies

• DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,658 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    Greek yogurt, milk, protein powder, fruit, multivitamin, ice, Vitamix.
  • ptsmiles
    ptsmiles Posts: 511 Member
    Options
    I use Muscle Milk on occasion myself. I have also used Premier Protein. Both were given to me by my parents who recently had gastric bypass and prefer ready made shakes. In the past I have gotten Sun Warrior protien powder from GNC and that was tasty when blended with fruit. You do what you need to do. If it is easier for you to drink your breakfast, than do it.
  • slaite1
    slaite1 Posts: 1,307 Member
    Options
    Protein bars? Special K shakes are ok. Even get a granola bar and some string cheese. Muscle milk is ok-but I think it's overpriced for what you get. There are also monster and Starbucks canned drinks with extra protein. Or just eat a piece of fruit and get better macros later in the day :smile:
  • YorriaRaine
    YorriaRaine Posts: 370 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    You can always make your lunch the night before and not the morning of, that's what I do. Helps with sleeping in all you can in Morning. That way you can weigh everything and record and not be rushed. As for morning, I like putting frozen fruit into yogurt cup into the fridge night before and fruit is thawed by morning.

If you like drinks. I love protein shakes and find them yummy and filling, helps with protein goals too.

If you have a blender you can make your own fruit smoothies with yogurt or whatever else you like. Just measure everything out the night before, store in bag or container and blend it super fast next day.
  • DemoraFairy
    DemoraFairy Posts: 1,806 Member
    Options
    If I'm rushing and hungry, I'll go for something that you can just grab out of the fridge, like a sausage roll or something. If I'm not hungry I won't eat anything. No need to eat breakfast if you're only eating it because it's supposedly good for weight loss.
  • ki4eld
    ki4eld Posts: 1,215 Member
    Options
    I'm a fan of Bariatric Fusion protein. Great flavors and not horribly expensive.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    Make it the night before

Or grab a yogurt and piece of fruit

Or make a sandwich you can take to work

Or cereal and milk or cereal bar

I can make scrambled egg whites with mushrooms, spinach and cheese on toast in 4 minutes
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    When my shift changed and I was leaving much earlier from home, I started making my breakfast the night before and taking it to work. Because of the bus arrangement, I had fifteen minutes before work started to eat my breakfast so I'd eat it then.

It sounds like you are learning to work with your rhythms and you DON'T have the time in the morning for a sit-down meal. So a meal replacement shake is a decent alternative. The examples you've provided might be a little short on fiber. You could simply add a little Metamucil or blend with fruit. Could you make the shake the night before and shake it up in the morning? Costco has these shaker containers that might work nicely.

224c0412-6b44-4148-973a-1d8c8c2218dd.png._V345533710__SR285,285_.png

Here are some ideas:
    • refrigerator oatmeal
    • scoop of vega one in milk
    • scoop of whey powder in milk and frozen fruit, blended the night before
    • Muscle Milk with Metamucil added
    • milk with a tablespoon each of ground chia seeds and oatmeal with fruit/list]
  • Kimo159
    Kimo159 Posts: 508 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    I can understand time in the morning is important. I meal prep my lunches. I work Monday to Friday so on Sundays I make enough for Monday-Wednesday and on Wednesday night I make enough for Thursday and Friday. I usually just make a huge batch of chicken (boneless skinless chicken thighs and breasts) and cut up a bunch of veggies, and/or roast some veggies in the oven. I'll throw in a few apples in my lunch bag too. Maybe a couple pieces of cheese or greek yogurt with berries.

In the mornings I make smoothies with 1/2 an avocado, unsweetened almond milk, spinach, and protein powder. Sometimes I add berries to this too. There's breakfast in a pinch.

Good luck on your journey!
  • JenMc14
    JenMc14 Posts: 2,389 Member
    Options
    Muscle Milk is a protein shake, not a meal replacement, there's a difference. Having a protein shake for breakfast, to me, is fine, I have Muscle Milk for breakfast sometimes, or as a meal in a pinch. However, I wouldn't use something like Muscle Milk as a go to meal on a regular basis.

Can you batch cook on weekends to have something to grab and go? I'd do the shake for breakfast and try to always have something on hand for lunch. Plus, if all you're having is a Muscle Milk, it's only like 170 calories, you're going to be hangry and miserable ifs hats breakfast and lunch every day.
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    Options
    I keep a box of protein bars at my desk and at home along with various protein powders and some meal replacement shakes - busy life and often do not have the time to leave the office. I don't believe there is much variation in quality, just try a sample and go with one you like...and on sale.
  • HardcoreP0rk
    HardcoreP0rk Posts: 936 Member
    Options
    Just make a smoothie with some spinach, fruit, oatmeal, and protein powder. That's a real meal that you can grab and go. Prep smoothie packs and store them in the fridge or freezer, then just blend and go. You can even blend them the night before and shake them up again in the am.
  • TRC64
    TRC64 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    One of my husband's favorite protein shakes for the morning:

1 scoop chocolate protein powder (we buy it at Walmart, Body Fortress brand I think)
    2 tbsp PB2 (powdered peanut butter)
    8 oz. unsweetened vanilla almond milk
    ice

He blends everything together, then puts it in a shaker cup to drink on the way to work. He says it tastes like a Reese's Peanut Butter Cup. I'm not a chocolate fan, but several of his co-workers have tried this combo and rave about it also.

My favorite:

1/2 cup orange juice
    1/2 cup non-fat plain yogurt (not Greek)
    1 scoop vanilla protein powder
    1/2 cup (70 g) frozen triple berry mix (I buy the Equate brand from Walmart)

With both of these recipes, you can do most of the prep the night before.

Sometimes, if the morning is really hectic, I'll just have a Quest bar and an apple. :)

• FitForLife2015
    FitForLife2015 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Look up Nectar protein. It's amazing :)
  • SayLiLIG
    SayLiLIG Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone! I like all the suggestions! I think I'm gonna stick with the shakes in the morning (With fruit and veggies added! like some suggested) and I'll prep some for lunch. It's not just for me though, its for hubby and myself. Salads are easy for me, him not so much...

Now I need to order more rubbermaid containers. Lol
  • abble_pie
    abble_pie Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    Make a smoothie. 1 Cup almond milk 3/4 Cup various fruit, serving of protein powder, 2 cups kale or spinach. Takes about 2 minutes
  • LucyP12342014
    LucyP12342014 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I've been using USN shakes in replacement of breakfast as the canteen at work kept calling me and that never ends well. I've made great progress, tastes nice and keeps me going to lunch.
  • priscillam31
    priscillam31 Posts: 1,356 Member
    Options
    I use Ideal Shape, I only but the choc and vanilla flavors. Some mornings its shake mix, pb2 some ice cubes and skim milk in my shaker cup. The price and taste are both great.
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    SayLiLIG wrote: »
    Okay, I know this is played out. I've searched and read most of the forums.

Currently, I have zero time in the morning for breakfast. Lunch, I can prepare something..BUT I'm forgetful and I take advantage of every minute of sleep I can get in the morning until I must tend to the baby and get my 6 year old out of bed.

So! I've done Herbalife.. they taste good and I liked them but they are ridiculously expensive. For a full "meal" you have to purchase almost $100 in product! No.. I refuse to do this anymore.

Husband wanted to try Muscle Milk, so we bought some.. still in the testing phase on that. I understand I need to make sure I'm getting every bit of nutrition if this is going to replace a meal. I like Muscle Milk for the fact that it does have some fat, low sugar, carbs, and the protein level is good...

BUT I WANT OPTIONS!! What do ya'll use? I KNOW I need to eat real food. And we do for dinner, and we have healthy snacks. But right now, we've got a crazy life and we're trying to lose weight but make sure we get what we need.

Thanks in advance!!

What do your kids eat? I understand the "I have no time to prepare meals" but since you also have a 6 year old, aren't you doing this anyway? Isn't preparing shakes more time consuming than just preparing more of whatever the kids are eating?
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    What if you skipped breakfast and had a bigger lunch that you had packed the night before? Would a variation of that work for you? :grey_question::grey_question: