Replies

• auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    CSARdiver wrote: »
    auddii wrote: »
    CSARdiver wrote: »
    Caitwn wrote: »
    Step right up, boys and girls! Feast your eyes on an actual life lesson!

Behold the glory of a thread that proves - yes, proves beyond a doubt - that a zero level in science literacy leads to tragedies like the original post.

Thank you. I'll be here all morning.

Listen here... I have two liberal arts degrees, please show me a little respect

You didn't learn your mistake from the first one? Mine at least prepared me for the breadline, which provided sustenance as I switched to science.

oliver.jpg?w=300&h=186
    ^Ah, so you ask for more bread, not more degrees? So many people in humanities doing it wrong... (my brother has a masters in french literature.)

I blame my elective physics professor - dual PhDs in physics & philosophy and would remark that he "used the income from his physics grants to fund his philosophical pursuits of feeling superior to his fellow (and lesser) man".

Man, I loved physics in high school, but my dad convinced me there were no jobs in physics. Then in grad school I met medical physicists. Now I'm sad when I look at my bank account...
  • hmrambling
    hmrambling Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    999tigger wrote: »

Tbh i think you are getting more than the respect you deserve, people will start asking for it back.

200.gif

• RockstarWilson
    RockstarWilson Posts: 836 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    dubird wrote: »
    cwilso37 wrote: »
    You keep asking for some science, here you go haters

ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/26130302

Proves is the wrong word when speaking about science

No, that's kinda what science does, but one study isn't proving a fact. It's noting a trend or showing a theory and indicates that more studies would be good. You need multiple studies with proper control groups, done by different people and different situations to be on the path to proving something, but part of science is using facts to prove theories.

Yes, "prove" is the wrong word when talking about science. Ask any college scientist. Nothing in science is ever "proven." There is simply evidence for or against a hypothesis or theory. Nothing can ever be proven, it can only be disproven through trials and meta-analysis.

Copernicus disproved a geocentric model of the universe, showing how the Earth spins on its axis while revolving around the sun. Galileo provided observational evidence for Copernicus' idea of a heliocentric universe, (which later became a heliocentric solar system).

In this trial, there is evidence that protein did not keep these women full. It was one method among many. Now, you can debate the method til the cows come home, but the science gave evidence to the notion that isocaloric protein does not keep one satiated.

As with any scientific trial, results are left to interpretation, and through difference in those interpretations, we get more trials! :-) Yay science!
  • dubird
    dubird Posts: 1,849 Member
    Options
    cwilso37 wrote: »
    You keep asking for some science, here you go haters

ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/26130302

Proves is the wrong word when speaking about science

No, that's kinda what science does, but one study isn't proving a fact. It's noting a trend or showing a theory and indicates that more studies would be good. You need multiple studies with proper control groups, done by different people and different situations to be on the path to proving something, but part of science is using facts to prove theories.

Yes, "prove" is the wrong word when talking about science. Ask any college scientist. Nothing in science is ever "proven." There is simply evidence for or against a hypothesis or theory. Nothing can ever be proven, it can only be disproven through trials and meta-analysis.

In this trial, there is evidence that protein did not keep these women full. It was one method among many. Now, you can debate the method til the cows come home, but the science gave evidence to the notion that isocaloric protein does not keep one satiated.

As with any scientific trial, results are left to interpretation, and through difference in those interpretations, we get more trials! :-) Yay science!

The study OP posted showed evidence that beverages with whey protein added didn't make a small sample group of one gender feel full. You can't jump from that to saying science has proven that protein doesn't make you feel full. That's a HUGE leap in logic that isn't supported. In fact, other studies have show that eating protein can help you feel full for a while.
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options

The study OP posted showed evidence that beverages with whey protein added didn't make a small sample group of one gender feel full. You can't jump from that to saying science has proven that protein doesn't make you feel full. That's a HUGE leap in logic that isn't supported. In fact, other studies have show that eating protein can help you feel full for a while.

Not sure hes being serious. I thought it was a wind up? hes not exactly arguing his point of view, becayse he doesnt expect anyone to take it seriously. I thought it was meant for the chit chat and fun section?
  • dubird
    dubird Posts: 1,849 Member
    Options
    999tigger wrote: »

Not sure hes being serious. I thought it was a wind up? hes not exactly arguing his point of view, becayse he doesnt expect anyone to take it seriously. I thought it was meant for the chit chat and fun section?

If he posted in the wrong section, maybe he wouldn't be taking it as seriously? I mean, we can liven it up with my gifs that would help, I dunno.