Study proves protein isn't filling

Options

Replies

• dontgiveup2319
    dontgiveup2319 Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    I feel full for a few hours when I drink 8 oz of Muscle Milk and it only has 20g of protein. I feel very full after I eat 3-4 oz of any meat which usually has 20+g. Everyone is different though
  • sheermomentum
    sheermomentum Posts: 827 Member
    Options
    ...looking forward to the confirmation studies....
  • dubird
    dubird Posts: 1,849 Member
    Options
    Seeing where this discussion is going, I'm just going to sit over here for a while.

giphy_zpsqfdnzthp.gif
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    It's almost like there haven't been dozens of posts here relating to the idea that protein shakes are not necessarily satiating and could end up spurring overeating as compared to getting protein from solid food.

large.jpg

Wrong thread, m8.
  • cwilso37
    cwilso37 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    You keep asking for some science, here you go haters

ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/26130302

Proves is the wrong word when speaking about science
  • dubird
    Options
    cwilso37 wrote: »

No, that's kinda what science does, but one study isn't proving a fact. It's noting a trend or showing a theory and indicates that more studies would be good. You need multiple studies with proper control groups, done by different people and different situations to be on the path to proving something, but part of science is using facts to prove theories.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    dubird wrote: »
    Seeing where this discussion is going, I'm just going to sit over here for a while.

giphy_zpsqfdnzthp.gif

my guess is off the derp charts...*kitten*'s gonna get stupid up in here...

giphy.gif
  • mantium999
    mantium999 Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    If protein isn't protein does that mean we can end the sugar is sugar arguments now?

Your baiting skills need work
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    If protein isn't protein does that mean we can end the sugar is sugar arguments now?

6223120455_50330b1cd6.jpg
  • galgenstrick
    galgenstrick Posts: 2,086 Member
    Options
    Here are a few studies which show protein is more satiating than carbs or fats. You have to realize that highly processed foods like whey protein powder are not as satiating as something like eggs or meat, which is what your study suggests. The study you posted can't be extrapolated to all protein sources.

http://m.ajcn.nutrition.org/content/87/5/1558S.long

http://www.nutritionj.com/content/13/1/97

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/m/pubmed/20847729/

Maybe its the fat in those products that make you full. Meat and eggs are more than just protein bro

So you didn't read the studies I posted is what you're saying?
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    Caitwn wrote: »
    Step right up, boys and girls! Feast your eyes on an actual life lesson!

Behold the glory of a thread that proves - yes, proves beyond a doubt - that a zero level in science literacy leads to tragedies like the original post.

Thank you. I'll be here all morning.
    :flowerforyou:

Flower for my hero...
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,952 Member
    Options
    A drink made from straight protein powder doesn't fill me up either. It's not a complete meal and lacks calories, carbs, fiber and fat.

For a quick protein powder-based snack, I'll start with protein powder and liquid and add coconut oil, and for a slightly heartier snack, some fruit as well.

For my breakfast smoothie, in addition to protein powder, I add fat from an egg and peanut butter, fiber from chia and flax seeds, and carbs from bananas and am full til lunch.
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    Options

Behold the glory of a thread that proves - yes, proves beyond a doubt - that a zero level in science literacy leads to tragedies like the original post.

Listen here... I have two liberal arts degrees, please show me a little respect

You didn't learn your mistake from the first one? Mine at least prepared me for the breadline, which provided sustenance as I switched to science.
  • cwilso37
    cwilso37 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    dubird wrote: »
    cwilso37 wrote: »

No, that's kinda what science does, but one study isn't proving a fact. It's noting a trend or showing a theory and indicates that more studies would be good. You need multiple studies with proper control groups, done by different people and different situations to be on the path to proving something, but part of science is using facts to prove theories.

No. Science can not "prove" anything. It is only able to disprove or to offer support for a theory. The word prove indicates that a solution has been found (in a closed sense), this does not apply to science. Even if there is support for a theory,meaning the findings are consistent with a theory, the theory can always be disproved with a future measurement.

See Popper problem of induction
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    CSARdiver wrote: »

You didn't learn your mistake from the first one? Mine at least prepared me for the breadline, which provided sustenance as I switched to science.

oliver.jpg?w=300&h=186
    ^Ah, so you ask for more bread, not more degrees? So many people in humanities doing it wrong... (my brother has a masters in french literature.)
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options

Tbh i think you are getting more than the respect you deserve, people will start asking for it back.
  • dubird
    edited August 2015
    Options

Good for you. Getting any degree is hard, much less two. Not meaning that sarcastically, either, I've got two degrees and it was hella hard for some of the classes!

However, you're still wrong. One study doesn't prove anything. Especially such a broad statement like protein isn't filling. That's not even what the study says. That study is about protein BEVERAGES, which I think most of us agree it won't make you feel full because most liquids wouldn't make you feel full for long. If your post had been about protein powders or additives to liquids not making you feel full, I don't think this discussion would've devolved the way it has.
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    Options
    auddii wrote: »
    CSARdiver wrote: »

oliver.jpg?w=300&h=186
    ^Ah, so you ask for more bread, not more degrees? So many people in humanities doing it wrong... (my brother has a masters in french literature.)

I blame my elective physics professor - dual PhDs in physics & philosophy and would remark that he "used the income from his physics grants to fund his philosophical pursuits of feeling superior to his fellow (and lesser) man".