log my lettuce??

Options
2»

Replies

• pdxwine
    pdxwine Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    I log lettuce. I log all vegetables as they all contain calories.
  • khhregister
    khhregister Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    I've been logging everything, ALL the veggies, especially since I've been eating a greater volume of veggies to make up some of the bulk I used to be eating that was bread/rice/potatoes/pasta. It's much lower calorie than what I used to be eating, but it's not NO-calorie.
  • Asher_Ethan
    Asher_Ethan Posts: 2,430 Member
    Options
    I log all my vegetables... but i rarely ever weigh them.... It's pointless when it's a 5 calorie difference.
  • 7lenny7
    7lenny7 Posts: 3,493 Member
    Options
    Heck no! No point in logging something with just a few calories. I don't log onion, peppers, cukes, ketchup, mustard , etc.
  • emiliebecause
    emiliebecause Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    I do sometimes and only if it forms the bulk of my meal but even then it's just guesses and just so I can look back and feel good about eating veggies. :-)
  • AbuAlArab
    AbuAlArab Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Lettuce has negative calories so what exactly are you guys logging?
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    AbuAlArab wrote: »
    Lettuce has negative calories so what exactly are you guys logging?

:laugh:
  • sheldonklein
    sheldonklein Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    I log 45 calories for the lettuce in a big salad without bothering to weigh or measure. It's small, but not trivial. Besides, it would be weird to log a lunch that consisted of nothing but Salad dressing.
  • Soopatt
    Soopatt Posts: 563 Member
    Options
    I log for more than just calorie management - I am also keeping a record of when and why I eat certain foods and how my veggie and macro intake looks. If I left out veggies, I would skew the picture. I also log things like 1 x Nespresso Pod, even though that is also "nothing".
  • Nuke_64
    Nuke_64 Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    7lenny7 wrote: »
    Heck no! No point in logging something with just a few calories. I don't log onion, peppers, cukes, ketchup, mustard , etc.

I would suggest logging ketchup unless you are using it rather sparingly. 20 calories a tablespoon.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options

Hmmm...As someone who eats high volume, I don't really get this. My 10-40 calorie entries end up making 100s of calories per day. Cocoa powder, cucumbers, carrots, lettuce, spinach, pepperoncini, some hot sauces, ketchup and mustard for sure, red cabbage, onions...yep.
  • Queenmunchy
    Queenmunchy Posts: 3,380 Member
    Options
    I don't weigh lettuce, but I do enter it as cups. I weigh every other vegetable, though.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    arditarose wrote: »

Hmmm...As someone who eats high volume, I don't really get this. My 10-40 calorie entries end up making 100s of calories per day. Cocoa powder, cucumbers, carrots, lettuce, spinach, pepperoncini, some hot sauces, ketchup and mustard for sure, red cabbage, onions...yep.

Same here. Sometimes my lunch or dinner will be just tons of vegetables. You can eat a lot of volume, but calories still count. I can eat over 100 calories of onion easily. If I don't count those calories, I have no true idea what my intake is.
  • 7lenny7
    Options

Whatever works for you, that's great! I can certainly see logging things like that if you're someone who's budget is low (I start at 2010 and get more depending on my exercise), who always eat very close to your budget or if you're looking at macros. For me, however, my habit of not logging those things has not impacted my weight loss goal.

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    Obviously the salad dressing is something I would definitely log but do u guys log the lettuce, tomatoe, celery etc that's in there as well? I get if it's a starchy veggie - it should be logged...

a long time ago I worked out my big garden salads to be around 80 calories and my smaller one to be around 60...so I just work with that and when I logged I made my own entry called large garden salad and medium garden salad.

vegetables have calories, so I would advise logging something, but with veggies I'm not as concerned as I would be with say, peanut butter or nuts or something...

I eat around 300 calories of veg and fruit daily, so it's important to be aware of...those aren't "free" foods or anything.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options

Whatever works for you, that's great! I can certainly see logging things like that if you're someone who's budget is low (I start at 2010 and get more depending on my exercise), who always eat very close to your budget or if you're looking at macros. For me, however, my habit of not logging those things has not impacted my weight loss goal.

Makes sense. I was just putting it out there for people who are new to this and who might be stalling. I've been doing this long enough I bet I could maintain without logging some of those things but I'm paranoid so continue.
  • David_2015
    David_2015 Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    257_Lag wrote: »
    I set me goal 50 under where is should be so I can skip lettuce, celery, onions etc. BUT I logged them for awhile until switching to this way.

That's what I do too! Thought i was the only one!
  • ahoier
    ahoier Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    I log my vegetables....the easiest, most accurate way to log lettuce and most vegetables though, is using a digital kitchen scale with a "tare" or "zero" feature......so you can weigh out your lettuce, log it, zero the scale, then add your cucumber, log it, etc....one by one....there's a lot of macros/micros within vegetables
  • 7lenny7
    Options

Makes sense. I was just putting it out there for people who are new to this and who might be stalling. I've been doing this long enough I bet I could maintain without logging some of those things but I'm paranoid so continue.

You make a great point. I'm "fortunate" in that at 225 pounds, I start out with big calorie budget and my running adds a lot more. In a 6 or 7 mile run, I'll burn over 1000 calories. Since I don't usually go over my budget, I don't sweat most of the condiments or side veggies.

Were I to cut it close every day, or had not been losing like I wanted, I'd start logging everything like most of you folks do.