Is 1500 calories too little to eat to lose weight?

Options

Replies

• lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Anyway, I'm 5'3, 125, so need less calories than you, OP, and am losing really well at the moment with 1500 calories plus some extra exercise calories when I do heavier workouts. I'd recommend eating back a little of your exercise or else factoring it in by starting with a slightly higher number, but 1500 wouldn't be a terrible starting place. Just monitor results and how you feel.
  • rhawfax1986
    rhawfax1986 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    1500 is fine i'm a 5'10 man 195 and thats what I eat daily...
  • Merkavar
    Merkavar Posts: 3,082 Member
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    Okay so, 3500 calories is equivalent to 1 pound.

roughly

Exercise is a key element to losing weight, but diet is just as important.

wrong..weight loss is 80-90% diet and exercise for overall health

Calories are not necessarily the key to dropping pounds, but in fact what you eat is significant

rubbish ...what you eat is significant to overall health not weight loss. Weight loss is absolutely calories

. If you eat 1500 calories of junk food a day, or 2000 calories of healthy food a day, you're certainly more likely to loose it by eating healthier.

holy cow ...what rot! CI<CO that's the science ...that's the maths

Cutting back on calories can be hard as you're not used to it, so aim for 6 meals a day: breakfast, morning snack, lunch, afternoon snack, dinner and night snack.

meal timing is completely irrelevant ...you could eat it all in one meal and have the same result

Snacks are essential as they'll prevent craving junk food during the day.

for some

Try and snack on apples as they're equivalent to 0 calories as your body burns off the amount of calories in them trying to digest it.

holy cow! You seriously believe that ...an apple is about 80 calories and is the same as eating 80 calories of chocolate...seriously how can you even think that

Remember 3500 calories = 1 pound.

roughly

Therefore if you're eating 1500 calories a day, it would be ideal if you could burn off 200, which would make you lose it faster!
    I hope this helped, good luck :)

That didn't help anyone because it was almost complete nonsense

Its almost as if they were trying to push every button. They missed starvation mode and detox/cleanses but appart from those they look to have mention every myth or misunderstanding people have about weight loss.

• Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    Options

Actually you should be eating more then that and still lose.
  • ValerieMartini2Olives
    ValerieMartini2Olives Posts: 3,024 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    Apples are 0 calorie. Rotf. Apples can easily run you 100 calories per apple. Eat 3 of those a day if you're on a 250 calorie deficit.... you will get nowhere.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,342 Member
    Options
    Serah87 wrote: »

Actually you should be eating more then that and still lose.

^^ agreed..especially when I can lose eating at 1900cals and I'm 5ft 2"
  • amber2funke
    amber2funke Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I have done a little research on this and most things I come across says you should take your weight and times by 12 that's how many calories you need. You can stray from that but you shouldn't go too far until you start to see the scale drop and keep lowering then you can reverse diet to maintain.
  • ValerieMartini2Olives
    ValerieMartini2Olives Posts: 3,024 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    I have done a little research on this and most things I come across says you should take your weight and times by 12 that's how many calories you need. You can stray from that but you shouldn't go too far until you start to see the scale drop and keep lowering then you can reverse diet to maintain.

So by your theory, I should be eating nearly 2900 calories a day. My TDEE is 2200. I'd gain weight using your "formula"
  • Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    Options

So by you're theory, I should be eating nearly 2900 calories a day. My TDEE is 2200. I'd gain weight using your "formula"

LOL,

Mine says I need to eat 1400 calories to lose weight, I'm doing 1600-1900 calories and losing weight.
  • senecarr
    senecarr Posts: 5,377 Member
    Options
    Okay so, 3500 calories is equivalent to 1 pound. Exercise is a key element to losing weight, but diet is just as important. Calories are not necessarily the key to dropping pounds, but in fact what you eat is significant. If you eat 1500 calories of junk food a day, or 2000 calories of healthy food a day, you're certainly more likely to loose it by eating healthier. Cutting back on calories can be hard as you're not used to it, so aim for 6 meals a day: breakfast, morning snack, lunch, afternoon snack, dinner and night snack. Snacks are essential as they'll prevent craving junk food during the day. Try and snack on apples as they're equivalent to 0 calories as your body burns off the amount of calories in them trying to digest it.
    Remember 3500 calories = 1 pound. Therefore if you're eating 1500 calories a day, it would be ideal if you could burn off 200, which would make you lose it faster!
    The bolded statement is a misunderstanding. While some foods require more digestion than others, the metabolizable energy of food is already accounted for in the Atwater method of determining caloric content, particularly when using the standard adjustements of soluble fiber to 2 calories/g and insoluble fiber to 0 calories/g.
    Why would the human body have metabolic pathways designed to net 0 energy out of food? There would be no evolutionary advantage to such, and there would be some possible disadvantages to it. It just doesn't make sense.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options

Are we talking kilos or pounds? because just with that question, your theory fails.
  • soldiergrl_101
    soldiergrl_101 Posts: 2,205 Member
    Options
    Okay so, 3500 calories is equivalent to 1 pound.

roughly

Exercise is a key element to losing weight, but diet is just as important.

wrong..weight loss is 80-90% diet and exercise for overall health

Calories are not necessarily the key to dropping pounds, but in fact what you eat is significant

rubbish ...what you eat is significant to overall health not weight loss. Weight loss is absolutely calories

. If you eat 1500 calories of junk food a day, or 2000 calories of healthy food a day, you're certainly more likely to loose it by eating healthier.

holy cow ...what rot! CI<CO that's the science ...that's the maths

Cutting back on calories can be hard as you're not used to it, so aim for 6 meals a day: breakfast, morning snack, lunch, afternoon snack, dinner and night snack.

meal timing is completely irrelevant ...you could eat it all in one meal and have the same result

Snacks are essential as they'll prevent craving junk food during the day.

for some

Try and snack on apples as they're equivalent to 0 calories as your body burns off the amount of calories in them trying to digest it.

holy cow! You seriously believe that ...an apple is about 80 calories and is the same as eating 80 calories of chocolate...seriously how can you even think that

Remember 3500 calories = 1 pound.

roughly

Therefore if you're eating 1500 calories a day, it would be ideal if you could burn off 200, which would make you lose it faster!

That didn't help anyone because it was almost complete nonsense

Wow, just wow...way to set them straight
  • bpetrosky
    bpetrosky Posts: 3,911 Member
    Options

Lolwha? If I did that I would certainly be eating too much.

BMR/TDEE calculations take into account gender, weight, height, age, and some use BF%. They're based on models based on population statistical studies.

MFP is designed around the Non-Exercise Activity Thermogenisis model, and does those calculations for you. That's why it prompts for those things.
  • jaqcan
    jaqcan Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    Okay so, 3500 calories is equivalent to 1 pound. Exercise is a key element to losing weight, but diet is just as important. Calories are not necessarily the key to dropping pounds, but in fact what you eat is significant. If you eat 1500 calories of junk food a day, or 2000 calories of healthy food a day, you're certainly more likely to loose it by eating healthier. Cutting back on calories can be hard as you're not used to it, so aim for 6 meals a day: breakfast, morning snack, lunch, afternoon snack, dinner and night snack. Snacks are essential as they'll prevent craving junk food during the day. Try and snack on apples as they're equivalent to 0 calories as your body burns off the amount of calories in them trying to digest it.
    Remember 3500 calories = 1 pound. Therefore if you're eating 1500 calories a day, it would be ideal if you could burn off 200, which would make you lose it faster!

So much NO!

I would be eating 3290. I'd gain a pound every three days. Again. SO MUCH NO!
  • Timelordlady85
    Timelordlady85 Posts: 797 Member
    Options
    omg, apples have no calories hooray! j/k, but I input my activity level and stats in MFP and aim for half my exercise calories back. How are you tracking your calories burned? I use a polar chest strap, I noticed that MPF tends to over estimate calorie burns.
  • bpetrosky
    bpetrosky Posts: 3,911 Member
    Options
    bpetrosky wrote: »

Lolwha? If I did that I would certainly be eating too much.

BMR/TDEE calculations take into account gender, weight, height, age, and some use BF%. They're based on models based on population statistical studies.

MFP is designed around the Non-Exercise Activity Thermogenisis model, and does those calculations for you. That's why it prompts for those things.

ETA: The weight x 12 formula for lbs would be 2340. Excess. In kg it would be 1062, dangerously low. Fails either way.
  • AlisonH729
    AlisonH729 Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    I hope Liv comes back to defend her post. My Friday is dragging.

And doh, if I multiply my weight (113) by 12 I get 1356 and I've been eating at 1350. (For now anyway. On weekdays. It's not really enough but we are getting married in September and dang it we've been doing a lot of eating on the weekends.)
  • Giolis
    Giolis Posts: 1,204 Member
    Options
    Wow! Just wow. The amount of misconception regarding Calories, nutrition and CICO is amazing. It really does explain all the "I'm not loosing weight" posts. Everyone tries it make so complicated when it really isn't. Just eat less calories than you burn. Finding out what that is might be a little tricky since we're not all the same but start with what MFP recommends and then based on your results add or subtract accordingly.

• steponebyone
    steponebyone Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    I agree with comments but would like to ask what are you doing that you believe burns 500 calories?

Exactly 1 hour of the precore elliptical burned 470 calories on level 7, and the rest was brisk walking on the treadmill to cool off. The calories are shown right on the machines.
  • steponebyone
    steponebyone Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    I agree with comments but would like to ask what are you doing that you believe burns 500 calories?

Exactly 1 hour of the precore elliptical burned 470 calories on level 7, and the rest was brisk walking on the treadmill to cool off. The calories are shown right on the machines.

Also, I am a swimmer, so an hour swim can easily burn 500 or more kcals.