What made YOU decide it's time to change?

Options
RV_08
RV_08 Posts: 34 Member
edited August 2015 in Success Stories
7qsaqds96o2a.jpg

I recently posted my above before and after pic on here and got asked the question:

"What made you decide it's time to change?"

It was an interesting question that helped me to remember all the reasons how I got where I am today, so I thought i'd put it out there to everyone else.

For info, mine were:
  1. Comments I got from family members I hadn't seen in a while (and they don't hold back!) about how I had put on weight etc. Not nice to hear, but gave me the motivation to do something about it
  2. Online shopping and seeing really nice outfits I wanted to wear but when buying them, didn't fit as well as I thought they would
  3. Embarrassingly, sometimes being offered a seat on public transport (for those not from London, on trains we have 'priority seats' which get offered to the less able to stand/elderly/pregnant) as people had mistaken my rounded stomach for a baby! :s
  4. Wanting to do a charity 5k at the best of my ability when I was 25 (life goal - DONE)
  5. Being fed up of being unhealthy/tired/out of breath anymore when walking or going up stairs

I'd love to hear all of yours reasons too and see before and after pics of you have them! PLEASE SHARE

Replies

• newlife0202
    newlife0202 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    7qsaqds96o2a.jpg

I recently posted my above before and after pic on here and got asked the question:

"What made you decide it's time to change?"

It was an interesting question that helped me to remember all the reasons how I got where I am today, so I thought i'd put it out there to everyone else.

For info, mine were:
    1. Comments I got from family members I hadn't seen in a while (and they don't hold back!) about how I had put on weight etc. Not nice to hear, but gave me the motivation to do something about it
    2. Online shopping and seeing really nice outfits I wanted to wear but when buying them, didn't fit as well as I thought they would
    3. Embarrassingly, sometimes being offered a seat on public transport (for those not from London, on trains we have 'priority seats' which get offered to the less able to stand/elderly/pregnant) as people had mistaken my rounded stomach for a baby! :s
    4. Wanting to do a charity 5k at the best of my ability when I was 25 (life goal - DONE)
    5. Being fed up of being unhealthy/tired/out of breath anymore when walking or going up stairs

I'd love to hear all of yours reasons too! PLEASE SHARE

for me it was mostly about being a role model for my child. Being heavy came with issues such as insecurity. Even though my daughter loves the beach I dreaded it. I want to be able to feel comfortable in my own skin so i can do the things I want to do.
    2. I love the science behind weight loss, im a book and fitness article junkie. So what I learn I like to apply to myself and see how my body reacts to new methods.
    3. To be honest at 265 lbs. i wasnt getting much love from women. Mostly friends but I wanted more. Its funny once i dropped weight especially when i was 165 last year the difference of attention i got was significant.
    4. I just want to be the best version of me
  • JayRuby84
    JayRuby84 Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    It was pictures of me where I looked big, and not in a muscular way. I looked very soft. I started at 172 and now hover around 156-160. I like that I have more muscles now, and don't really want to get skinny. I want to get harder (ha), and know I need to drop a few more pounds to take some fat off. But I feel much better than when I started.
  • Mycophilia
    Mycophilia Posts: 1,225 Member
    Options
    Putting socks and shoes on became a struggle.
  • suruda
    suruda Posts: 1,233 Member
    Options
    I had been doing pilates for years...it wasn't getting any easier. I also wanted to live a more active life, biking, hiking, etc. My hips were hurting, my knees were hurting and somewhere in the back of my head a little voice kept saying "if you lost even 20 lbs, it would make a huge difference". over time, that voice got louder and louder and finally it worked! Down 30 since January and it is awesome! My knees and hips still remind me occasionally that I'm 0ver 50 but I am more active than most people I know!
  • CrumbCake37
    CrumbCake37 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    When I ate my last big southern bbq meal and felt like I was going to die!
  • merchantmarine
    merchantmarine Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    After my divorce, needed a life boost !! Dropped 45 lbs and I am in the best shape of my life
  • duckie33
    duckie33 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    For me, when I looked in the mirror and noticed I had gained some of the weight back. And, when I noticed how my clothes weren't fitting me correctly anymore. So, I'm back and this time I plan to maintain whatever I lose.
  • MOMfit4life
    MOMfit4life Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Worked off > 18 pounds over last few months... NOW, time to drop another 18-20 pounds to reach my goal!
  • MagnoliaStorm
    MagnoliaStorm Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Having gone through a hard time - unemployed, living with mom with dementia- I need to do something good for myself. Becoming beautiful and liking myself will surely bring some positive changes to my life.
  • stinkyshirt
    stinkyshirt Posts: 9 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    I realized my clothes were not fitting anymore even though I kept insisting they would...but when I tried to put on my "fat" pants they were too snug. Then I went to the doctors office only to find out I'm back to square one at 214 pounds (which is where I was 7 years ago when I had my son). I promised myself I was never going to be this round again and I failed. I'm doing it all over again but I don't intend to fail this time.
  • Hybrice
    Hybrice Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    Girlfriend broke it off with me :( Want to get in to crazy shape so when I go back to the gym classes we both attend she will regret that decision :D 15Kgs down already!
  • spanderholic
    spanderholic Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Hitting over 100kg... I couldn't believe how badly I had let myself go. Been fluctuating around this mark for a while now and I am going to dip below it and further this time!
  • Bacchants
    Bacchants Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I'd been feeling down about my current weight for a while as I was finding it harder to fit things to fit in my favourite stores. Then my partner had planned to get me a photoshoot for my birthday, I didn't know so asked for hints, and he said (jokingly) that I might want to cut back on the pizza. He meant it as a joke but it hit a nerve and made me realise I needed to do something!

So he ended up moving the photoshoot to christmas and getting me a fitbit for my birthday!
  • GelasiaT
    GelasiaT Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    1. Lacking energy - I was so tired and exhausted all the time even when I got more than an adequate amount of sleep

2. Wanting to be more active with my children

3. Tired of shopping in the plus size section

4. Not wanting to resort to the health issues my mom is now facing, which is a long list of conditions including heart failure, high blood pressure, arthritis, and many more

I am still fairly early in my journey, but I can feel it in my mind, body, and soul that this time will be different than the numerous other times I've tried. I've completely changed my mindset and how I see food and I'm approaching all aspects from a very different angle.
  • soldiergrl_101
    soldiergrl_101 Posts: 2,206 Member
    Options
    Seeing the looks on peoples faces that saw how far I fell after the military got me motivated to get my body back. They had that look like "awww what a shame"
  • LianaG1115
    LianaG1115 Posts: 453 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    When I was dying after walking up a flight of about 20 stairs!! OMG I thought I was either having a heart attack or an asthma attack!! Didn't want to face the reality that I was out of shape and morbidly obese!! Reality check right there!!
  • G33K_G1RL
    G33K_G1RL Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    I wasn't seeing anymore progress in kickboxing, and the cardio intensive drills were so hard! I realized I wanted to be strong, now. I saw an opportunity to start woking with an online coach and took it. When I started I told myself that this was the time, that I was going to give this a 3 month trial, all out, no holding back. And I did :)
  • steponebyone
    steponebyone Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    I've never been overweight in my life... Until recently. Slowly this last year I've worked my way up on the scale. My normal for a 5'9 girl is about 155, but when I had a physical at the doctor the other day a dramatic 178 lbs popped up on the scale. Also, at the end of the physical my doctor handed me a packet of papers that were about a healthier lifestyle and showed my bmi on there being overweight. Also, I get comments from family members that aren't so nice. But those comments I disregard. I am deciding to do this for me, because I deserve to be happy and feel good in my own skin. This is for no other reason except that God gave me this body and it's time to love it and treat it better, which excludes trips to Panda Express at 10pm or late night ice cream runs. Just seeing the posts on MFP are so motivating. Thanks everyone for sharing and good luck! :)
  • ktface17
    ktface17 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I was driving my dad home from my brother's birthday party. He is a large man and used to being in his big truck. He found my Lincoln MKX uncomfortable. Then he was talking about how much he'd love to have a Charger. That if he had a dream car at this moment, it would be a Charger. He looked sad and said that even though he could afford one, he'd never own one now. Why? Because he can't fit in a Charger. Something snapped to life inside of me in that moment. I never want to have a dream in my reach and miss out because of my weight. That day was in April. I've logged every day since then and exercised regularly.
  • KaseyDH83
    KaseyDH83 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    I lost both of my parents in 2013. My dad had a heart attack while he was driving and it caused him to wreck his vehicle, and my mom lost her fight against breast cancer 8 months later. My dad was 52 and my mom was only 49. They both come from families that have a host of health issues: heart disease, diabetes, cancer, strokes … the list goes on. In fact, my dad's brother passed away in June after spending 6 months being bed-ridden because of complications from diabetes and strokes. This was a wake-up call. Genetics are not in my favor; and while I can't change genetics, by eating healthy and exercising I am at least improving my quality of life, and hopefully prolonging it a little. I'm down 40 pounds (having lost 20 before joining MyFitnessPal). I still have a ways to go before I reach my goal weight, but I'm already noticing big changes in my body and overall well-being.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!