Look different but scale stays the same

Options
2»

Replies

• ValerieMartini2Olives
    ValerieMartini2Olives Posts: 3,041 Member
    Options
    I have only lost about 4 pounds recently but I had 3 different people in a week and a half ask me if I've lost weight.
  • apollinav
    apollinav Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    You may want to try a hand-held body fat analyzer. If you're working out at a gym, they may have one you can borrow. That could give you a better idea of your progress.

For example, I know a girl who did a 6-week boot camp program, she was horrified that she gained weight until the body fat analyzer showed how much fat she'd lost. She gained seven pounds of muscle.
  • ASKyle
    ASKyle Posts: 1,475 Member
    Options
    apollinav wrote: »
    You may want to try a hand-held body fat analyzer. If you're working out at a gym, they may have one you can borrow. That could give you a better idea of your progress.

For example, I know a girl who did a 6-week boot camp program, she was horrified that she gained weight until the body fat analyzer showed how much fat she'd lost. She gained seven pounds of muscle.

These are notoriously inaccurate... they fluctuate depending on your hydration level (they use an electrical current that passes through your body, slower through fat, quicker through muscle) and how hard you grip them. There is no possible way a woman could put on 7lbs of muscle in 6 weeks.
  • apollinav
    apollinav Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    ASKyle wrote: »
    apollinav wrote: »

These are notoriously inaccurate... they fluctuate depending on your hydration level (they use an electrical current that passes through your body, slower through fat, quicker through muscle) and how hard you grip them. There is no possible way a woman could put on 7lbs of muscle in 6 weeks.

Thanks for the tip, ASKyle!
  • Verdenal
    Verdenal Posts: 625 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    divyatew wrote: »
    Is it possible for the scale to stay at the same number for a month, but for one's body to look slimmer?

As has been said, you might be less bloated on some days because of loss of water weight and if you've been working out consistently for a while you may have added some muscle.

You should try to estimate your body fat percentage in addition to your straight weight.

I must say that if I'm vigilant about reducing calories to create a deficit, I see a scale loss as well.
  • divyatew
    divyatew Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    @Verdenal Thanks for the advice!
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    Options
    When I had to get off of sugar and grains for pain management I did not lose even one pound for the first six weeks but I lost an inch at my belt. At week 8 I was down 10 pounds.

10 months after being off sugar and grains I have lost 30 pounds but looks more like 50 to most people. By the way my general health is starting to recover nicely and the pain is now well managed without Rx/other meds.

Losing inches but not pounds I did not know was physically possible. I expect it was not muscle replacing fat in my case that fast for sure.
  • Fujiberry
    Fujiberry Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    Ditch the scale. You're making progress, so why does your weight matter? I weigh around the same in these two pictures. I'm slightly heavier on the right by a few pounds.

0rpq5spd93k3.jpg

I weigh myself maybe once or twice a month (if that) just because I get curious, but that's about it. I take progress pictures instead. As long as I look better and I'm still in the weight class I want to compete in powerlifting, then my exact weight isn't important to me.
  • Fujiberry
    Fujiberry Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    Take lots of progress pictures instead. I think it's much more motivating to see small changes in your body over time. :)
  • divyatew
    divyatew Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    @Fujiberry @GaleHawkins Thanks for the advice! Both your transformations are incredible!