Does anyone else use extra virgin natural coconut oil?

Options
I've been adding it to my tea in the mornings (just a very small amount) to boost my metabolism and get me some good fat plus a little extra calories). How's it going for you?

Replies

• RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    It does nothing for metabolism.
    I do like it as a moisturizer on my skin.
  • aledba
    aledba Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    I use it on my cat's bum after he has diarrhea.
  • skyedogz
    skyedogz Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Yes I use it in smoothies, stir fries and lubrication too.

Do recall a gym instructor saying it would be great in a drink before the gym.
  • serendipity520
    serendipity520 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Oh, that is the best for coffee ! I hate black coffee so a bit of coconut oil tops off coffee and very heathy fats!
  • Kexessa
    Kexessa Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    Avocado is a healthy fat too. Neither boosts metabolism. Isn't there a better way to get fats than putting oil in tea?
  • sixxpoint
    sixxpoint Posts: 3,529 Member
    Options
    There's no such thing as extra virgin coconut oil.
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Options
    +1 for the no to the metabolism-boosting.

How does "natural" coconut oil differ from coconut oil?
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    Options
    I've been adding it to my tea in the mornings (just a very small amount) to boost my metabolism and get me some good fat plus a little extra calories). How's it going for you?

I now am up to adding 5 tablespoons to my first cup of coffee each morning.

• GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    Options
    RodaRose wrote: »
    It does nothing for metabolism.
    I do like it as a moisturizer on my skin.

At least it will replace your fiber needs.

• Strawblackcat
    Strawblackcat Posts: 944 Member
    Options
    I cook and bake with it. I made some tripple-coconut blueberry muffins last week that were delish (coconut flour, coconut oil, and shredded coconut). Coconut oil is great for your health, but you will gain weight by eating too much of it, just like anything else. It doesn't boost metabolism.
  • kawh707
    kawh707 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    i tried using it for stir-frying, but i thought i had a rancid jar. took it back and got a new jar, different brand. just as bad... stunk up the whole house, like something had gone bad. husband couldn't stand the smell of it cooking, either. i really don't understand those who use it to fry... perhaps i used too high a temperature. anyway... didn't know what to do with the jarful, so used it on my skin. amazing!! love it for my face, and for dry areas like elbows!
  • WeddedBliss1992
    WeddedBliss1992 Posts: 414 Member
    Options
    i use it with baking and stir fry. i love the flavor and the way it melts into foods, not greasy like other oils.
  • M30834134
    M30834134 Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    I like the taste and potential benefits and add a tablespoon to my cereal, egg whites, eggs, oats every morning.
  • JollyHodgers87
    JollyHodgers87 Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    Oh, that is the best for coffee ! I hate black coffee so a bit of coconut oil tops off coffee and very heathy fats!

I can't handle it in coffee. I used to drink energy drinks every day and no problems. Yet coconut oil in coffee and I feel all jittery.
  • JollyHodgers87
    Options
    Kexessa wrote: »
    Avocado is a healthy fat too. Neither boosts metabolism. Isn't there a better way to get fats than putting oil in tea?

I've been eating avacados too! They are yummy! But I like the oil because it gives me energy. I'm not sure it's really working for me though for weight loss.
  • JollyHodgers87
    Options
    sixxpoint wrote: »

It just means there are no additives. It's made by Spectrum Naturals and they sale it at Kroger in the food section. All natural, organic, extra virgin coconut oil. There was another brand there too that sold it but Spectrum was the least expensive, so that's the one I went with.

• astrampe
    astrampe Posts: 2,169 Member
    Options
    Kexessa wrote: »

I've been eating avacados too! They are yummy! But I like the oil because it gives me energy. I'm not sure it's really working for me though for weight loss.
    It will not "work for weight loss" if you are not in a calorie deficit. It will make you fatter if you eat it on top of other food and burn less than what you eat, as it is a fat, and therefore high in calories.
    The myth that coconut oil boost metabolism and make you lose weight is just as false as the one that states honey and cinnamon water will "flush fat" and boost metabolism.....
  • sixxpoint
    sixxpoint Posts: 3,529 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    sixxpoint wrote: »

It just means there are no additives. It's made by Spectrum Naturals and they sale it at Kroger in the food section. All natural, organic, extra virgin coconut oil. There was another brand there too that sold it but Spectrum was the least expensive, so that's the one I went with.

Extra Virgin Olive Oil exists. So does Virgin Olive Oil.

But in the Coconut Oil world, there is no such thing as Extra Virgin. My point was that any label claiming such is factually incorrect.

Virgin Coconut Oil is the highest you are going to get.
  • kirstym1108
    kirstym1108 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I like it when I make curry but otherwise I'm not a fan eating it any other way.