Eat/Use this instead of that - GIVE US A TIP

Options
xianstoi
xianstoi Posts: 4 Member
edited August 2015 in Food and Nutrition
Hi, please share with us what you eat and what you put in your food.

For example:
I eat sweet potatoes instead of ordinary potatoes. Benefit - more fiber
I use chili instead of salt. You won't be bothered with the bland taste.

Eat brown rice instead of white rice, it has more fiber.
Use more spices instead of salt, to enhance the taste without too much sodium.

Eat whole grains like rice or corn instead of bread. Bread is higher in sodium and sugar.

Replies

• VeryKatie
    VeryKatie Posts: 5,952 Member
    Options
    Fruit instead of fruit juice - more fiber, more filling, more happy.
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    whole grain breads so they have more fiber and protein and are more filling then
  • msujack
    msujack Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Greek Yogurt instead of sour cream.
  • ForestFairy022
    ForestFairy022 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    Pita breads instead of pizza crust, if I crave pizza but don't have the calories for the dough. :)
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Low fat Greek Yogurt instead of sour cream or milk, because of higher protein and lower fat.
    Defrosted fruit and selfsame yogurt on pancakes instead of syrup because of lower sugar, lower calorie, higher fiber.
    Grilled or breaded and baked fish and chicken to lower fat/calories.
    Side salad instead of fries; more nutrition, lower calorie, fiber.
    Sharp, old cheddar and a brick of parmesan to use less. I often use 1/4 what the recipe calls for.
    Pepper and garlic instead of salt.
    Stevia or splenda instead of sugar to reduce calories.
  • CostaRica120
    CostaRica120 Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    I use rice cakes instead of bread for things like dipping in my sunny-side up eggs or as a base for tuna salad.
    I often sub salsa instead of ketchup or salad dressing.
    Salad instead of rice or pasta...I will eat meat sauce on my salad while my partner eats pasta.
  • Jruzer
    Jruzer Posts: 3,501 Member
    Options
    I've taken to using corn tortillas instead of flour. They tend to be lower calorie and more flavorful.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    Stevia instead of sugar.

If I can't recognize the food from its natural state, I don't eat it (with a few exceptions like coconut oil, stevia drops, cheese, and an asiago & artichoke dip I love)).

Traded in most carbs for fats - never eat "light", go for full fat.

This helped me.
  • MrsSylvie
    MrsSylvie Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    i eat prewashed organic quinoa instead of white or brown rice (imported from peru), it has like 15% more fiber and i believe 50% more protein than brown rice...texture took a little getting use to though!

i now use a ninja nutra to blend, instead of physically eat, all of my daily veggie and fruit requirement, have never met the requirements not doing so..

i love eating NH hemp hearts regularly instead of eating meats for my fat & protein needs.

i dislike sweetners but, i use ez-sweet sweetner instead of sugar for the last cup of coffee i cannot break away from! this sweetner doesnot have that aftertaste that others i tried had..
  • CherylNTexas
    CherylNTexas Posts: 1,275 Member
    Options
    Whole grain pastas, tortillas, and bread instead of regular, applesauce instead of oil in sweet recipes, 2% plain greek yogurt instead of sour cream, light ranch OR avocado (my favorite) on sandwiches instead of mayo. "Zoodles" instead of rice, pasta, etc.
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Options
    Lemon juice instead of salad dressing.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    Home-made instead of store-bought, almost always. :)
  • dewd2
    dewd2 Posts: 2,445 Member
    Options
    I have several of these books. Make a recipe from here twice a week instead of eating out.

http://www.eatthis.com/
  • zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,088 Member
    Options
    I eat cake instead of carrots...just because it tastes good. :)
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Options
    thorsmom01 wrote: »

This. :)
  • yellowantphil
    yellowantphil Posts: 787 Member
    Options
    Milk with protein powder and cocoa powder, instead of milk with Nestlé Quik.* It has less added sugar, depending on what type of protein powder you add, and you get real cocoa instead of the chocolate-flavored sugar from Nestlé.

*They renamed it to “Nesquik” 16 years ago, but I like the old name better. ಠ_ಠ
  • BlossomStrikesAgain
    Options
    Quorn instead of meat, in a lot of meals, because it has less fat.
  • bioklutz
    bioklutz Posts: 1,365 Member
    Options
    When I was trying to lose a couple of pounds I stopped using mayonnaise. I used hot sauce or mustard instead. I also used those 100 calorie sandwich flats instead of sliced bread or a torta roll.

Now that I am not longer trying to lose weight and have more calories available I still do this. Hot sauce or mustard has more flavor than mayo. I also like the ratio of bread to meat with the sandwich flat.
  • anneeett
    anneeett Posts: 75 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    Mix low-fat yoghurt with shredded garlic instead of using store bought garlic sauce (of course, you can add other herbs to taste).

EDIT: depending on your needs, you can also use regular yoghurt
  • zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,088 Member
    Options
    Orphia wrote: »
    thorsmom01 wrote: »

This. :)

And various ice cream products