I'm so damn pale lol. Tips and tricks?

Options

Replies

• zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,089 Member
    Options
    I'm pale because I rarely go out in the sun unless it's early morning or late afternoon, and then for less than an hour or so. I look 20 years younger than most other people my age. My younger sister looks 20 years younger than me because she smokes outside all the time. I will take smooth skin over hard wrinkles caused by the sun any day.

Smoking outside has made your sister look younger...?

I am cracking up
  • mom2nicknat
    mom2nicknat Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I like the St. Tropez sunless tanners...I think I have tried every brand known to man
  • anneeett
    anneeett Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    I dont know if it's available in the U.S., but I use L'oreal tanning mousse. Much easier to apply than lotion!
  • Goooosfraba333
    Goooosfraba333 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I thought pale was the new tan? Or maybe that's just what I tell myself. When I was younger I used to go tanning, use Jergen's natural glow, bronzers, fake tanners, lay out in the sun with oil on my skin. Now I just embrace it. Less crap on my body, and obviously (hopefully) less wrinkles and skin cancer risk long-term. It probably depends on where you're from too though. In Maine, nobody cares. Its winter here half the year anyway.
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    I like the St.Tropez line
  • Mezzie1024
    Mezzie1024 Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    Get a nice wide-brimmed hat and some UV clothing. Get a nice UV-blocking parasol to carry with you for places where you have to look nice (an outdoor wedding, say). If you do water sports, get a long-sleeved UV rashguard and some swim tights. It saves a lot of money in sunscreen.

I've found sunblocks with zinc and/or titanium dioxide to be much more effective than chemical sunscreens, but nothing works as well as UV blocking fabric.
  • slideaway1
    slideaway1 Posts: 1,006 Member
    Options
    I'm pale and interesting. Well, I'm pale. But here is something interesting. I saw a documentary in the UK where a guy ate lots of carrots for two weeks and the before and after picture showed he was noticeably more tanned looking. I also heard that drinking loads of Sunny Delight used to turn kids yellow/orange in the 80s. good times.
  • tomatoey
    tomatoey Posts: 5,459 Member
    Options
    Accept who you are

or spend $$$ on self tanners and 3/4 of the time annoyed with it streaking/fading
  • ForeverSunshine09
    ForeverSunshine09 Posts: 966 Member
    Options
    I am typically super pale I am almost see through. The last 2 years I got a decent tan from sitting the shade and taking photos all day which is my hobby. I wear Neutrogena Spf 75-100 which is kind of expensive but, I refuse to get cancer. My tan was just a secondary effect of spending more time outside. I say embrace the Pale. I am 31 and no one believes me and I will gladly take that.
  • Vixxie75
    Vixxie75 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I've scanned through and I don't think any one has mentioned this, if they have, sorry!!!

I saw a tv show a few weeks ago that said the way to get a natural tan is to eat foods high in vitamins. Kale and Spinach were definitely two they recommend and I'm sure carrots were in there too. Apparently it's part of natural selection. The vitamins and keratin cause the skin to 'tan' making others think you look fitter and healthier, therefore an ideal mate!

It's worth a try!!
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    Options
    Vixxie75 wrote: »
    I've scanned through and I don't think any one has mentioned this, if they have, sorry!!!

I saw a tv show a few weeks ago that said the way to get a natural tan is to eat foods high in vitamins. Kale and Spinach were definitely two they recommend and I'm sure carrots were in there too. Apparently it's part of natural selection. The vitamins and keratin cause the skin to 'tan' making others think you look fitter and healthier, therefore an ideal mate!

It's worth a try!!

I eat lots of kale and I'm still pale. It's genetics, and some people don't tan. As for a tan making you look fitter and healthier....nah, that's all in the perception. I look fit and healthy and I'm as light skinned as I can be. ;)
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,902 Member
    Options
    Vixxie75 wrote: »

It's worth a try!!

Moderate amounts of kale and carrots as I define moderate don't change my skin color. Not sure how Dr. Stuart defines it.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/07/26/natural-tan-foods_n_3644629.html

So how much of these "tanning" foods do you have to chow down on for a Victoria's Secret model-worthy glow?

"No one knows how long or how much of these tanning foods must be consumed to see results," said Dr. Stuart. "The study at the University of Nottingham involved college students who were asked to consume extra quantities of fruits and vegetables over several months but a specific time frame or quantity was not specified."

Dr. Stuart explained that "the biggest misconception about eating your way to a natural tan is that one's ability to tan with certain foods is variable and influenced by one's underlying skin type which is determined by skin pigmentation and genetics."

But eating excessive amounts of foods rich in beta-carotene can have negative effects too, namely a skin disorder called carotenemia. "This is a yellow discoloration of the skin which involves the skin of the body including the palms and soles of the feet," said Dr. Stuart. "It may be mistaken for jaundice, a serious medical condition. However, carotenemia is a benign skin condition that is completely reversible once you stop consuming large quantities of vegetables rich in beta-carotene."
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,902 Member
    Options
    These:
    Orphia wrote: »
    Pale is beautiful. Brown is beautiful. Fake tans and melanomas are not.
    I'm pale because I rarely go out in the sun unless it's early morning or late afternoon, and then for less than an hour or so. I look 20 years younger than most other people my age. My younger sister looks 20 years older than me because she smokes outside all the time. I will take smooth skin over hard wrinkles caused by the sun any day.

Yup, I'm Irish and all my sun-worshipping relatives are much more wrinkly and older-looking than me.

Mom never worried about sun exposure earlier in her life and is dealing with lots of minor and some major skin cancers now.
  • Anniecro117
    Anniecro117 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Tinted facial moisturiser and tinted body lotion...these are different the spray tans or the tanning lotions.

Have you ever used tanning oils/lotions? What is your experience with them if you had any?

ST Tropez brand. Amazing!!
  • esmesqualor
    esmesqualor Posts: 85 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    Orphia wrote: »
    Pale is beautiful. Brown is beautiful. Fake tans and melanomas are not.

Yes! Agree! Many beautiful women are very pale, don't do fake color, don't get skin cancer! Wear big floppy hats and vibrant jewelry.
  • maxit
    maxit Posts: 880 Member
    Options
    I'm Scottish and as pale as they come, I just embrace it and make a big effort to get no tan. No awkward white bits as I'm all white! I have a friend from a warm climate who is positively green with envy at my alabaster skin, so I just go with it now.

I vote embrace your pallor, OP. Just wear good sunscreen.

• jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Super pale here too. Given enough time all I do is freckle up. Embrace it. You'll look years younger than your peers for life.
  • salembambi
    salembambi Posts: 5,592 Member
    Options
    i love my pale skin

spf 60 on the face / neck everyday and hands too or any other exposed skin
    cover up, wear big hats and sunglasses during the summer