Mashed Potatoes are bad news!

Options

Replies

• HippySkoppy
    HippySkoppy Posts: 725 Member
    Options
    ^^^ Ah God it is not my day.....

I meant 'dry roasted pumpkin in 1st sentence.....damn it.
  • SherryTeach
    SherryTeach Posts: 2,836 Member
    Options
    Since I didn't want to give up my favorite foods, mashed potatoes being one of them, I have learned to portion them out to fit my calories. I consider mashed potatoes to be very nearly the perfect food.
  • carlyp79
    carlyp79 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    I have been doing a mix of potato and turnip/swede/cauliflower to lighten it up.
    Season it well and add a dollop of low fat cream cheese.
    I also pulse it in my processor to get it all smooth, and the mix of veges makes sure it doesn't go all gluey as long as you don't overdo it.
  • Primmalim
    Primmalim Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I love mashed potatoes so so much. They're the only way I like to eat potatoes. I have to avoid making them though because I will literally eat nothing else for days. The crazy amount of butter and gravy I like with them does not help at all. I wonder if mashed-anything-else would fill that void without being so high in calories...
  • JeffBrown3
    JeffBrown3 Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    I will never give up my mashed sweet potatoes with real butter. Sometimes I'll add a sprinkle of cinnamon. If I do make regular mashed potatoes, I do not use milk. I only use sour cream for texture and butter for flavor. And of course, smother in low cal gravy.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    Can't read all the responses, as this thread is making me hungry. But...

I usually make mashed cauliflower. Maybe you can mix potatoes & cauliflower to lessen the calorie load? I've also heard of people using parsnips in mashed cauliflower- not sure why, maybe it helps give that mashed potato consistency. Not sure how the cals in parsnips compare to potatoes, though.

Why substitute, though?
  • MysticRealm
    MysticRealm Posts: 1,264 Member
    Options
    I tried a new recipe for mashed potatoes using cream cheese and sour cream. It was really good.
    260 cals for 250grams of potatoes.
    I don't often have milk for regular mashed potatoes because I don't use milk often so it goes bad so this was a great alternative.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,574 Member
    Options
    This thread has made me realize that I have never, not once, made mashed potatoes for myself.
  • misskarne
    misskarne Posts: 1,765 Member
    Options
    Hmm. I eat mashed potatoes all the time. I even make it with butter (not margarine) if I have the calories and the butter. I've never had a problem.
  • marsinah1
    marsinah1 Posts: 106 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    I make mine with butter and homemade ranch dressing. It never occurred to me to sub out a portion of the potatoes for another food, but since the idea's been floated, I rather like the idea of mixing in cauliflower or possibly even turnips to lighten the calorie load. Next Sunday dinner I'm going to enjoy experimenting on 4 unsuspecting family members.

OP, best of luck getting used to the new portion sizes. It's an adjustment, but you'll get there. And thanks for tossing that mashed potato lament out there. It brought in some great ideas.
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,484 Member
    Options
    Growing up my favourite thing was to mash my cauliflower in with my mashed potato. Who knew 50 years later it would be a way to lower your calories.
    Still love my mash. Still love my cauliflower.

Cheers, h.
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    Love mashed potatoes! I add butter, ranch seasoning, and plain Greek yogurt to them. (And salt and pepper, of course)
  • tomatoey
    tomatoey Posts: 5,446 Member
    Options
    If it's a trigger for you, stay away. You could also just have more chicken or veggies, though.

I am lazy so when I want mashed potatoes, I boil baby potatoes and mash at them with a fork for just a little bit. So they're mostly non-mashed. And then I top them w butter and Greek yogurt. I leave the skin on for fibre - maybe that would help?
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    I'm not too fussed about mashed potatoes, but they are best when made with baked potato and lashings of butter.

My downfall is roast potatoes, duck or goose fat roasted potatoes more specifically. I don't have them often but I could happily eat myself sick on roasties!

As for the OP, he eats below medically advised minimum so often posts lamenting how small his portions can be.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    Wytcher9 wrote: »
    Ah, mashed potatoes, I remember you fondly. I've switched to sweet potatoes for better nutritional values. Also, try substituting cauliflower in your mashed "potatoes".

I never get that

I don't sweet potato as a substitute ...cos ick
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    Ah, mashed potatoes, I remember you fondly. I've switched to sweet potatoes for better nutritional values. Also, try substituting cauliflower in your mashed "potatoes".

I never get that

I sort of get subbing them if you're looking for particular macros, I guess. But I'm still gonna kill this here pile of mashed white potatoes!

But then, I think sweet potatoes are delicious in their own right!
  • tomatoey
    tomatoey Posts: 5,446 Member
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »

I never get that

It's not a great substitute, it has to be looked at as its own thing. Sweet potatoes topped with green onions sautéed in butter (and greek yogurt) = delicious. Not really like mashed potatoes if that's what you really want.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    I love sweet potato, in its own right. I also do like mashed cauliflower, I do it with cheese and and cracked pepper. Not as a potato substitute, just as a way of serving cauli.
  • hannahkingfitness
    hannahkingfitness Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Part white and sweet potato mashed is my FAV! hehe. I'm having it tonight with herbed turkey mince balls. yummo.
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,484 Member
    Options
    Ooh, Hannah, I like the sound of that dinner especially if sage is included in the herbs, and green beans or brussel sprouts are the veg- mini Christmas dinner in the middle of August.

Cheers, h.