Ketosis diet!!

Options
13»

Replies

• pedidiva
    pedidiva Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    BPotts and please make sure that it is scientific literature and not just from a nay-sayer. Thanks
  • pedidiva
    Options
    Boots--please cite you resources. Metabolic studies done on folks who are LCHF have not shown a decrease in metabolic rate. In fact, in some metabolic rate has increased. Your comment on hypothyroidism is questionable as well. Many causes of hypothyroidism are autoimmune in nature (Hashimotos). An anti inflammatory diet as seen in low carb/ketogenic has been shown to be helpful for autoimmune illnesses

The ketogenic diet has been used since the late 1800s for diabetes and seizure control. The brain and the heart function well on ketones. There are many world class athletes who are kerogen if. Recently, there was a couple who rowed from California to Hawaii in a LCHF diet.

Research is being done. It will have to come from other nations as the food politics here limit studies done on the ketogenic diet. Sweden has adopted the LCHF diet for its citizens.
  • pedidiva
    Options
    bpotts. In the absence of dietary carbohydrates, the body will produce glucose ( a carbohydrate). Basic physiology. Hormones come from cholesterol, not carbs. Basic biochemistry.
  • StephanieShankaran
    StephanieShankaran Posts: 18 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    I read every single comment, and thank to those who are happy for me and the ones who are bashing my weight loss journey didn't even have to comment. Luckily I'm a positive person and it doesn't bother me, I read a lot about this diet and watched others around me do it so I decided "what the heck might as well give it a try". I've battled with me being on heavier side all my life and I was bullied for just that, so I don't need anyone telling me which diet is best for me or if I go off this diet I'll just be gaining the weight back. If that happens then I guess this diet wasn't the best thing. This is the weight loss journey I am now taking, if you only have negative things to say then you don't need to waste your time typing. For now I am happy with my self and for how far I have come. Thank you for your feed back!
  • arb037
    arb037 Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    bpotts44 wrote: »
    Long term ketosis can have negative effects on thyroid function and cause down regulation of metabolism. Ketosis is a starvation adaption your body has for burning fat in the absence of carbohydrates. Long term for some, but especially for women it can result in negative hormonal effects. This is well documented, but I'm not in a position to produce documents at this time. I will try to follow up later.

Total garbage.. ketosis does not down regulate T3 (thyroid function) suppress metabolism, cause you to go bald and get cancer.. stop with this lying dogma..

Any calorie deficit diet will eventually get into adaptive thermogenesis where Leptin levels decrease, T3 levels decrease and the body "adapts" to the new amount of energy.

"starvation adaption" clearly you have no idea what eating at maintenance is while following Ketogenic lifestyle.

Until you can provide clinical research to back this ( highly doubt) its false
  • TinaMP73
    TinaMP73 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I'm on day 2 of keto and so far love it. I lost a huge amount of weight doing low-carb in the past, so I know this kind of plan works. Good luck on your journey!!
  • mantium999
    mantium999 Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    I'm on day 2 of keto and so far love it. I lost a huge amount of weight doing low-carb in the past, so I know this kind of plan works. Good luck on your journey!!

So long as you understand that its the caloric deficit created by "this kind of plan", and not low-carb doing anything special, that caused you to lose weight.