Yes, you should be deadlifting!

Options

Replies

• kami3006
    kami3006 Posts: 4,978 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    yirara wrote: »
    Ladies, how much are you deadlifting with good style?

I'm at 240 lbs x3 atm (and probably will be for a while)

ETA: had x5 but should have been x3. Form would have been crap after that.
  • Drewlssix
    Drewlssix Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    Ilikelamps wrote: »
    SezxyStef wrote: »
    keep in mind DL's aren't just for legs...they work almost every muscle from your neck to your ankles...when done properly.

yes because I am IN on ankle gains

I'm loving my ankle gains! I have always been prone to rolling my ankles, typically if I'm being inactive a lot. I had to concentrate on maintaining my ankle alignment when I started lifting again but now it's atleast not a limiting factor. And I walk on rocks lawns and hop in and out of my truck with absolute confidence where I used to be mindful and even avoided those dangerous conditions.
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,209 Member
    Options
    I know this is an old thread, but I wanted to expound on this.
    nossmf wrote: »
    Basically, any time you bend down to pick up something from the floor, you're deadlifting. Sleeping child, basket of dirty clothes, couch you're helping a friend move to the other side of the room, all deadlifts. Here we're talking about the exercise which helps prep you for all those other moves, where a bar is loaded with weight and you have to pick it up from the floor until standing.
    I know the deadlift exercise is supposed to be extremely functional in this regard, but I don't quite understand. I have tried deadlifting with two 20 lb dumbbells, but oddly enough it's a struggle for me to get past 15 reps.

But in real life, however, I can certainly lift much more than 40 lbs. When lifting other objects, I'm in a squatted position. Depending on the object, it feels to me as though I can more easily ensure that I'm using my legs and not my back for lifting if I'm squatting as opposed to in the deadlift position. Also, in real life I'm using my biceps much more for picking up things off the floor than with the deadlift exercise itself, so I'm missing the true connection.

You're correct that we tend to lift things with more of a squatting position, like this:

qzBPlvB.gif

so a higher torso angle is a better way to train for that:

RwBb37O.jpg

but sometimes bending over is unavoidable:

MRxD9tp.jpg

Fortunately it's rare to need to deadlift more than our bodyweight outside the gym. Many, if not most, injuries happen from unexpected or under-trained movements.. like carrying the couch around a bend, or lifting it onto a pickup truck. Hence the value of training a diversity of movement skills, by including exercises like goblet squats, lunges, loaded carries, rotational movements, and lifting bulky objects. :+1:
  • ForecasterJason
    ForecasterJason Posts: 2,577 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    Thanks for the explanation and links, Cherimoose. That makes more sense to me now.
  • rachelbairdhall
    rachelbairdhall Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    wolfsbayne wrote: »
    Deadlifts are king! I'm a happy girl on deadlift day!

Me too!
  • KittensMaster
    KittensMaster Posts: 748 Member
    Options
    Love deadlifts.

They give that strong core and practical strength that helps so many other exercises.

Sets done quick feel like sprints
  • ovidnine
    ovidnine Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    I love deadlifts. I didn't realize how much I loved them until I couldn't do them for a few months with a non-lifting related leg injury.

Now back at them and working to get back to where I was.
  • DR2501
    DR2501 Posts: 661 Member
    Options
    Snatch grip deadlifts are my fave DL's - great for the lats. I would say overall though DL's are my third favourite exercise - power cleans are where its at ;)
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    I'm going to post this here because I'm inordinately pleased with myself. My max is 315 in competition. This week in training I pulled 290 for a double. My previous best was 285 for a couple of doubles. The past couple of weeks I've been cutting a bit of weight and dealing with life stress so the rep PR was a nice lift for me. BW is down to 125.

Sorry no yoga pants. Just scabby, paint covered sweats.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2vmZ5jUEwrg

man- I biffed my last 315- I've pulled it exactly once. I'ts still a very mental pull for me.

I can't wait till I can comfortably pull 315 for more than one rep. You and me my friend- we are chasing that 4 plate dream!
  • McCloud33
    McCloud33 Posts: 959 Member
    Options
    I'm going to post this here because I'm inordinately pleased with myself. My max is 315 in competition. This week in training I pulled 290 for a double. My previous best was 285 for a couple of doubles. The past couple of weeks I've been cutting a bit of weight and dealing with life stress so the rep PR was a nice lift for me. BW is down to 125.

Sorry no yoga pants. Just scabby, paint covered sweats.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2vmZ5jUEwrg

Holy *kitten*, you rock!!! 290 @ 125 is awesome...that would be equivalent of me pulling 515 for a double according to the wilks calculator! And you did it with a double overhand grip and not the mixed grip which in my opinion just makes you that much more bad@ss!
  • piperdown44
    piperdown44 Posts: 958 Member
    Options
    Love DL as it's the only "lower" body exercise that I am better at than benching.
    Really feel I'm accomplished something after a good session of DL's.
  • grapaj
    grapaj Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    I've been using a mixed grip for about a year now on my DL. I don't *alternate* my *alternate* at all. Is this something I should start doing? I don't really wanna..............but.....will start if it is important.
  • grapaj
    Options
    neaneacc wrote: »
    Yirara, I dl at 205 currently but I want to get to 225. I am slowly making progress towards this goal.

Same! I'm at 205 now as well.
  • deluxmary2000
    deluxmary2000 Posts: 981 Member
    Options
    Holy necro thread!! But it's about deadlifts, so you're forgiven
  • ObsidianMist
    ObsidianMist Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    I find it so strange that people love deadlifting so much. it's honestly my least favourite part of stronglifts. I just find it boring. i'm currently only at 115lbs though so maybe I'll enjoy it more when I'm lifting more? I don't know though, I'm already starting to find it difficult on both my hands and my body. when I started out my personal trainer told me I had excellent form on my deadlift, commented that it was rare to find someone with such good form just starting out, yet I feel like now that I'm lifting above 100lbs that I'm starting to feel it in my back perhaps a little bit more than I should be. not sure if I'm doing something wrong, moreso just because I don't enjoy doing them lol.
  • grapaj
    Options
    Holy necro thread!! But it's about deadlifts, so you're forgiven

Didn't even notice this! And actually...I don't know how I stumbled into it. Maybe was searching PHUL? LOL -- sorry for the oldie!
  • BeautifullyBroken50
    BeautifullyBroken50 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I do either single leg dumbbell or cable stiff leg deadlifts. Both of which are kinder to my sciatic.
  • closetlibrarian
    closetlibrarian Posts: 2,207 Member
    Options
    They're fun. And kinda badass. Unfortunately, my grip strength fails before my legs. :/
  • piperdown44
    piperdown44 Posts: 958 Member
    Options
    They're fun. And kinda badass. Unfortunately, my grip strength fails before my legs. :/

Versa grips. One of the best darn equipment purchases I made.

• sappermuff
    sappermuff Posts: 175 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options

Chalk.