Paleo

So I'm planning on going paleo and I've decided I will usually have about 4 oz of salmon (or other fish) for lunch with 3 servings of vegetables for lunch. And for dinner, some kind of protein along with another 3 servings of vegetables. I'm just not sure what would be a good breakfast? And I'm also wanting to have 1 serving of fruit and 1 oz of nuts per day possibly? (My goal is to feel overall healthier and lose fat while doing that.) Any suggestions or tips?

Replies

• MamaJ1974
    MamaJ1974 Posts: 443 Member
    How about donuts? Pancakes? French toast?
  • Lynn7082
    Lynn7082 Posts: 15 Member
    No grains are allowed on paleo
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    eggs seems the obvious choice if you want to stick with traditional breakfast foods. Eggs with salsa or a veggie omelet, and piece of fruit. You could eat the nuts as a snack or on a salad.
  • MamaJ1974
    MamaJ1974 Posts: 443 Member
    Oh, I saw a recipe for a Paleo Donut.... I don't follow Paleo myself. It seems a little out-there.

http://realhealthyrecipes.com/2014/03/24/best-paleo-donut-recipe/
  • Lynn7082
    So something like an egg, a serving of fruit, and a serving of a vegetable would be a decent breakfast?
  • Lynn7082
    Okay thank you!
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    Lynn7082 wrote: »
    So something like an egg, a serving of fruit, and a serving of a vegetable would be a decent breakfast?

Sure, sounds decent to me.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 28,053 Member
    MamaJ1974 wrote: »
    Oh, I saw a recipe for a Paleo Donut.... I don't follow Paleo myself. It seems a little out-there.

Paleo Donuts are a great example of Paleo nonsense as mentioned in this current thread: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/comment/33674342/#Comment_33674342
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    MamaJ1974 wrote: »

Ah, blanched almond flour and vanilla extract, just like my paleo great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great grandma used to make.
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member

Not sure which paleo resources you're using, but some sites recommend low carb versions and severely limit fruit. That said, I think there's nothing wrong with your suggested breakfast.

You could also try eating non-traditional breakfast foods. At one point, I was eating salads for breakfast because they kept me feeling full much longer than traditional breakfast foods.

Eggs and omelets are also a good option. Lots of veggies can really help bulk them out, and you can add in ham or sausage (turkey if you want lower cal) for more protein too.
  • Lynn7082
    auddii wrote: »

Not sure which paleo resources you're using, but some sites recommend low carb versions and severely limit fruit. That said, I think there's nothing wrong with your suggested breakfast.

You could also try eating non-traditional breakfast foods. At one point, I was eating salads for breakfast because they kept me feeling full much longer than traditional breakfast foods.

Eggs and omelets are also a good option. Lots of veggies can really help bulk them out, and you can add in ham or sausage (turkey if you want lower cal) for more protein too.

I'm mainly using Robb Wolf's website. I'm cutting out all starchy vegetables. But his website said to limit to 1 serving of fruit and 1-2 oz of nuts per day. Another question of mine had to do with fats. If you're cooking almost all vegetables using coconut oil or olive oil, is that "unhealthy"?
  • _Waffle_
    _Waffle_ Posts: 13,049 Member
    So I'm planning on going paleo and I've decided I will usually have about 4 oz of salmon (or other fish) for lunch with 3 servings of vegetables for lunch.
    Be careful about eating too much salmon. You can get mercury poisoning if you consume too much of it. Wild salmon is the worst about this.
    http://www.livestrong.com/article/139212-information-mercury-wild-salmon/
    (My goal is to feel overall healthier and lose fat while doing that.) Any suggestions or tips?
    Paleo will not make you feel better and healthier. Just eat a reasonable amount of food that's not always deep fried and you should be fine. Calories in, calories out.

• WBB55
    WBB55 Posts: 4,131 Member

I'm mainly using Robb Wolf's website. I'm cutting out all starchy vegetables. But his website said to limit to 1 serving of fruit and 1-2 oz of nuts per day. Another question of mine had to do with fats. If you're cooking almost all vegetables using coconut oil or olive oil, is that "unhealthy"?

Are you doing this to lose weight?

Cutting out most of your fruit and nuts is mainly for weight loss, right? If you're already at a healthy weight, having nuts and fruit is delicious.
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member

I always roast my vegetables in olive oil; so tasty. Fats don't make you fat, and lots of people are backing away from dietary cholesterol causing blood cholesterol issues. Nothing wrong with eating fats especially since lots of people find them satiating and can feel full longer. Just make sure you log them accurately and they don't push you over your calorie goal.
  • Lynn7082

WBB55 wrote: »

Cutting out most of your fruit and nuts is mainly for weight loss, right? If you're already at a healthy weight, having nuts and fruit is delicious.

yes... I'm about 30-40 lbs overweight, so this is a weight loss/lifestyle change.
  • WBB55
    WBB55 Posts: 4,131 Member
    WBB55 wrote: »

yes... I'm about 30-40 lbs overweight, so this is a weight loss/lifestyle change.

Ok, well for weight loss the most important thing is an appropriate calorie deficit. Choosing paleo as a means to achieve that is fine. But you can eat as paleo as you want and if you aren't eating at a deficit, you won't lose. Do you have an electronic food scale to weigh things?
  • bpetrosky
    bpetrosky Posts: 3,911 Member
    I think you'll find everything you need right here:

http://bfy.tw/1LEw
  • Lynn7082
    No, I don't have one
  • tequila5000
    tequila5000 Posts: 128 Member
    i hope it works for you, OP. I tried paleo to support a family member who wanted to try it to lose weight. Problem was that i don't like to eat too much meat, so when I started eating more meat, it just felt like a huge lead weight in my belly. I didn't like the feeling, and needless to say, I didn't stay "paleo" for too long.