Ineffective routine?

Options
I have a question about my workouts. MWF I do a full-body routine. I do 10 minutes on the eliptical on the random setting at level 13 with a 3 minute cool down. After that I do 3 sets of 12 reps with 15 lb. dumbbells of squats, dead lifts (recently started using 20lb), lying press, lying flyes (I usually only use a 12 lb here because I find this one fairly challenging and occasionally have pain so I'm not sure I'm doing it correctly), lateral raises (use 8 lb here), overhead press, bent over rows, bicep curls, and a lying tricep extension. Following that I do a plank for 30 secs, side planks on each side for 30 secs, 10 reverse crunches x 3 sets, and the bird dog before finishing with another 30 second plank in each position.

On T/Th I strictly do a 45 minute cardio session.

My issue is that I cannot tell if my routine has been effective. I am noticing a little more definition in my arms when I curl, but they still feel flabby. I'm pretty sure I'm using the right weight for me as a beginner as my arms are pretty dead when I'm finished, and I almost always eat at a deficit. I weigh all my foods before logging and putting them into the recipe calculator. I've been following this routine for approximately 2 months with my weight staying the same, which I expected as I read that as strength training is integrated weight could gain or be somewhat steady, but my body isn't changing at all either in terms of clothing fit and such. I guess I'm just looking for some guidance as to what I can do in the gym to see more results, or should I just be more patient?

Replies

• arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    If you're truly eating at a deficit and doing this routine, you should be seeing the scale drop. How long have you been logging? What are your stats? How many calories are you eating?

If you're still "flabby" as you say, results are going to come from losing fat-using your strength routine to maintain muscle mass as you lose.
  • XavierNusum
    XavierNusum Posts: 720 Member
    Options
    Weight loss has so much to do with eating. You have to be more specific for help. "Almost always eat at a deficit". How much of a deficit? How often is almost always? Remember 3500 calories is 1 pound.

What are your stats? Age, height, weight?
    What is your average daily calorie intake?
    Has this routine been consistent for the past 2 months?
    What kind of cardio are you doing on T/Th?
  • raetwssrae
    raetwssrae Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'1, 166. I believe my journal is open. I log absolutely everything except for my fitness as I use my fitbit as I trust the calories burned regarding my heart rate more than a machine. I feel like I should be losing, which is why I've come here to make sure I'm not doing something wrong. I've been logging consistently for about 7 months, maybe more. I was losing regularly before I incorporated the strength training. My goal for calories is 1200, but I usually end up around the 1500 - 1600 range with calories to spare after my exercise/steps.
  • raetwssrae
    Options
    On T/Th I do elliptical for 40 minutes on the random setting at level 13, with a 5 minute cool down. See my previous reply for the other info.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    raetwssrae wrote: »
    I'm 5'1, 166. I believe my journal is open. I log absolutely everything except for my fitness as I use my fitbit as I trust the calories burned regarding my heart rate more than a machine. I feel like I should be losing, which is why I've come here to make sure I'm not doing something wrong. I've been logging consistently for about 7 months, maybe more. I was losing regularly before I incorporated the strength training. My goal for calories is 1200, but I usually end up around the 1500 - 1600 range with calories to spare after my exercise/steps.

Your journal is not open.
  • raetwssrae
    Options
    how do i open it then?
  • raetwssrae
    Options
    Figured it out. Should be now. I try to log all meals, but am not always successful.
  • arditarose
    Options
    Are you eating back weight training calories? What does your fitbit give you for a 45 min cardio session?
  • raetwssrae
    edited August 2015
    Options
    Normally after the 45 session it records that I've burned around 450 calories. Sometimes it's a little less, but never more. And according to the fitbit, on weight days I only burn about 200 calories total, which normally get eaten back.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    Figured it out. Should be now. I try to log all meals, but am not always successful.

My suggestions -
    make a conscious effort to log all of your meals for a whole week. You admit to not logging all and the last two Saturdays aren't logged at all.

Also, you have a lot of generic entries, liek "tuna casserole" or "spinach and goat cheese (or something like that) salad. If that isn't your own recipe, I would break down the recipe or by ingredient and log it for better accuracy.

And I'd be weighing stuff like cheese. Cup measurements can be pretty off for that stuff and cheese is quite calorie dense.
  • arditarose
    Options
    Normally after the 45 session it records that I've burned around 450 calories. Sometimes it's a little less, but never more.

Try only eating half-75% back.

Also your diary is inconsistent, and it looks like there are some generic and unweighed entries.
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options
    For the cardio you should be seeing your times or distances improve, hence you should keep a record. You need to understand where exercise fits in and if its weight loss you mean are the results, then you have to get the consumption side under control as the others are directing you to.
  • raetwssrae
    edited August 2015
    Options
    Those recipes are my own, and were entered using the bar codes on the packaging and going by those serving sizes. I'll start weighing all ingredients to see if that makes any differences. Thanks for your input.
  • editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    I'm 5'1, 166. I believe my journal is open. I feel like I should be losing, which is why I've come here to make sure I'm not doing something wrong.

At the bottom of this page, change your diary to public: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/account/diary_settings

b6zfrkyervv5.jpg
  • arditarose
    Options
    Those recipes are my own, and were entered using the bar codes on the packaging and going by those serving sizes. I'll start weighing all ingredients to see if that makes any differences. Thanks for your input.

Don't forget the bacon. Sometimes "2 slices" is really 3 once it's weighed out. It always pissed me off.
  • hlnebel
    hlnebel Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Even if the generic entries are your own recipes, make sure the calorie counts and portion sizes are precise. Like, seriously, be obsessive about accuracy. Also, LOG EVERYTHING YOU EAT. EVERYTHING. Weigh as much of it as you can. Once you're logging daily, and accurately, you might be surprised how many calories you're actually putting in your body.
  • XavierNusum
    XavierNusum Posts: 720 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    hlnebel wrote: »
    Even if the generic entries are your own recipes, make sure the calorie counts and portion sizes are precise. Like, seriously, be obsessive about accuracy. Also, LOG EVERYTHING YOU EAT. EVERYTHING. Weigh as much of it as you can. Once you're logging daily, and accurately, you might be surprised how many calories you're actually putting in your body.

Right here! You have to be 100 times more diligent about nutrition than exercise.
    I have seen a few incomplete days in your diary. Also, if you're going to use a fitbit to tell you what your TDEE (total daily energy expenditure) you have to make sure it has the most accurate information as well. You'd probably be better not letting fitbit make changes to your diary, disconnect those two accounts. Use them separately. Track your calories burned via fitbit for 1-2 weeks with consistent activity. Take the average, multiply by 0.85 and eat that many calories everyday while keeping your fitness routine set, within normal reason.

Come by the EM2WL group and find out some ways to better utilize your fitbit information and learn it's limitations.