High calorie foods.

Hiya. A loved one of mine is struggling to get the appropriate amount of cals per day and really needs to up them.

She can eat sugary foods and can snack ok but struggkes with the main meals. Breakfast is a no go area, lunch is hit miss so really dinner is her main intake.

Can anyone suggest some foods that can increase her calories in this ine meal, apart from a Kebab a day?

Replies

• harlequin0318
    harlequin0318 Posts: 415 Member
    a protein shake with milk and lots of peanut butter, if too filling - just chocolate milk. Nut butters by the spoonful (wish I could do that), potato chips, cookies, ice cream, cake - all of those wonderful calorie dense items
  • harlequin0318
    harlequin0318 Posts: 415 Member
    avocados and cheese too!
  • Patttience
    Patttience Posts: 975 Member
    Oil. Cook with more oil.
  • RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    Mix coconut oil with cacoa powder and a touch of xylitol. Place in balls on a baking sheet and chill until firm. They taste amazing and she can pick at them through out the day.

• allanthfc
    allanthfc Posts: 41 Member
    Thankyou. She's on here so I'll show her this thread.
  • allanthfc
    I tried her with my protein shake... didn't go down too well.
  • allanthfc
    Mix coconut oil with cacoa powder and a touch of xylitol. Place in balls on a baking sheet and chill until firm. They taste amazing and she can pick at them through out the day.

Cacao? Is that a typo? Sounds like something she could try.
  • chloeelizabethm
    chloeelizabethm Posts: 184 Member
    Drink calories! A protein shake with her meal, or better still a pint of melted ice cream!
  • allanthfc
    Melted ice cream.... sounds sooooo good :-P
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    allanthfc wrote: »

Cacao? Is that a typo? Sounds like something she could try.

Here . . . or any cocoa powder from the baking aisle of a grocery store.

khpo7dxzn680.png
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    More fat. Add oil, butter, avocado, nuts and seeds to dishes.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    edited August 2015
    allanthfc wrote: »
    Hiya. A loved one of mine is struggling to get the appropriate amount of cals per day and really needs to up them.

She can eat sugary foods and can snack ok but struggkes with the main meals. Breakfast is a no go area, lunch is hit miss so really dinner is her main intake.

Can anyone suggest some foods that can increase her calories in this ine meal, apart from a Kebab a day?

She does not have to eat breakfast. She does not have to eat much lunch either.
    She can eat enough calories with a snack or two and a large dinner with some fatty meats or veggies cooked with oil.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,846 Member
    Peanut butter banana smoothies! Nom nom nom.

Nuts, in general.
  • extra_medium
    extra_medium Posts: 1,525 Member
    edited August 2015
    Peanut butter -- it is depressing how many calories were in the jar I just wiped out.
  • Queenmunchy
    Queenmunchy Posts: 3,380 Member
    edited August 2015
    How about something like mashed potatoes with butter and cream - is it a texture/swallowing issue or a hunger issue?
  • runwithtoppa
    runwithtoppa Posts: 50 Member
    Chicken Parmo! nutritiondata.self.com/facts/recipe/1965760/2
    (drop down menu at top to decrease/increase portions and nutritional values to match)

Obviously she could make them smaller, using small strips of chicken breast etc or mix up the recipe in general. Using healthier alternatives or added ingredients like herbs into the breadcrumb mix, but the calories would still be high. They go great with a salad.
    Looking online you can find loads and loads of different recipes for the Chicken parmo / parm / parmesan, so it's quite versatile... just the chicken and cheese theme stay the same.

Simple, easy and delicious!