Stressed over a vacation

Options

Replies

• jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    jemhh wrote: »
    Did you gain fat on your last vacation or just water weight? I went on vacation last year for a week. I ate out every meal and didn't log but I walked a lot. I gained 4 pounds. Within three days I had lost it. It was water weight.

No I gained an actual 6lb. With some water weight that eventually went down.

So you gained 6 pounds plus water weight or including water weight? If it was 6 pounds plus water weight, you ate 1000 calories over maintenance per day. You should be able to estimate your portions a lot better than a 1000 calorie variance indicates.

This

Well yeah, considering my maintenance is only 1600, eating out at restaurants 3 times a day for 2 weeks I guess it's not that hard to go over by that much.
    I think what he meant was that it should be pretty obvious to you that you're eating 60% more than usual.

Maybe don't eat all three times. A big breakfast and a big dinner may be able to cover not eating lunch, for example.

That's exactly what I meant. You should be able to figure out where all of those extra calories are coming from and how to avoid/reduce them.

How tall are you and what do you weigh? What is your normal activity level? 1600 for maintenance is low.
  • ForestFairy022
    ForestFairy022 Posts: 99 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    Did you gain fat on your last vacation or just water weight? I went on vacation last year for a week. I ate out every meal and didn't log but I walked a lot. I gained 4 pounds. Within three days I had lost it. It was water weight.

I bet I'd get some interesting looks from my family doing that...haha :flushed:
  • SingRunTing
    SingRunTing Posts: 2,604 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options

So you gained 6 pounds plus water weight or including water weight? If it was 6 pounds plus water weight, you ate 1000 calories over maintenance per day. You should be able to estimate your portions a lot better than a 1000 calorie variance indicates.

This

Well yeah, considering my maintenance is only 1600, eating out at restaurants 3 times a day for 2 weeks I guess it's not that hard to go over by that much.

I get that it would be hard to fit 3 restaurant meals into 1600 calories. But it shouldn't be a surprise that you're gaining weight if you're going over my 1000 calories a day. 1000 calories is a huge margin of error even for guesstimating.

Either do two meals a day, or bring some fruit/yogurt (or whatever) and control your own breakfast. Estimate high on any restaurant meals.
  • ForestFairy022
    Options

I bet I'd get some interesting looks from my family doing that...haha :flushed:
  • ForestFairy022
    Options

This

I think what he meant was that it should be pretty obvious to you that you're eating 60% more than usual.

Maybe don't eat all three times. A big breakfast and a big dinner may be able to cover not eating lunch, for example.

That's exactly what I meant. You should be able to figure out where all of those extra calories are coming from and how to avoid/reduce them.

How tall are you and what do you weigh? What is your normal activity level? 1600 for maintenance is low.

It has more to do with my body composition I think than my height and weight. And routine yo-yo dieting. And doing the same exercises everyday. But I'm 5'2, and 136lb last time I checked. 22yrs of age. And yes I'm sure. I maintained on that for a while before deciding to lose again. Took a long 1yr diet break.
  • suziecue20
    suziecue20 Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    You relatives eat out 3 times a day, 7 days a week? My mind boggles at this, it must be so expensive or do they just go for diner style burger food every day?
  • sashayoung72
    sashayoung72 Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    YOU CAN DO THIS!!!! I went on a cruise and couldn't log because no internet. My misfit wouldn't log because again, no internet. I gained NOTHING. I made up my mind to eat the best I could, I walked a ton, and Yes I treated myself to some extravagant desserts (small portions). Listen to your stomach, and I struggle with this DAILY!!! But believe in yourself, that you will be ok!!! Don't defeat yourself before you even go.
  • ForestFairy022
    Options
    suziecue20 wrote: »
    You relatives eat out 3 times a day, 7 days a week? My mind boggles at this, it must be so expensive or do they just go for diner style burger food every day?

They're well off. And no not normally. Just on vacation, although they do eat out a lot on a normal day too though... You know what boggles my mind? Is the fact that I seem to be the only one gaining weight among them. :neutral: my sister lives off sweets and "junk food" and she's rail thin.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options

I thought they were going on vacation? I didn't take that to mean that they eat out every meal of every day of their lives.

OP, can you clarify?
  • suziecue20
    Options
    oooh don't you just lurv those sticks of people who can eat anything :# Well if it was me and they were paying ahem I'd go for the lobster every time - very healthy and low cal :)
  • ForestFairy022
    Options

I thought they were going on vacation? I didn't take that to mean that they eat out every meal of every day of their lives.

OP, can you clarify?

No it's just on vacation. But otherwise they do eat out at least once a day.
  • DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,652 Member
    Options
    oooh don't you just lurv those sticks of people who can eat anything :# Well if it was me and they were paying ahem I'd go for the lobster every time - very healthy and low cal :)
    reddit-thats-not-how-this-works.jpg

• ForestFairy022
    Options
    reddit-thats-not-how-this-works.jpg

Nope, but they are more toned than me, which means they have more muscle. Which means they burn more calories. I'm all flab and bones. Haha. I wasn't allowed to do much muscle development growing up. Tbh the last time I probably built any was in kindergarden, doing monkeybars...before my mother decided to put me in a glass box.
  • suziecue20
    Options
    Its a joke
  • ForestFairy022
    Options
    Its a joke

It's true though. Haha
  • DeguelloTex
    edited August 2015
    Options
    Muscle burns very few additional calories. Twenty extra pounds of muscle would be enough passive burn to offset an extra Oreo or two a day.
  • ForestFairy022
    Options
    Muscle burns very few additional calories. Twenty extra pounds of muscle would be enough passive burn to offset an extra Oreo or two a day.

Well then I don't know. I've been thinking of trying reverse dieting. But I don't know if it actually works or not. Maybe my metabolism is just in a bit of a slump.
  • atypicalsmith
    atypicalsmith Posts: 2,742 Member
    Options
    OP, gaining six pounds in three weeks means about 1,000 calories extra a day (3500 calories x 6 = 21,000 calores ÷ 21 days = 1,000 calories a day. If you skip one meal, you've got this. But if you have already decided you are going to gain weight because you are on vacation and want to eat as much as possible, then you needn't stress any longer. Just eat and lose it after you get back. And no, losing and gaining the same weight every year isn't good. But you are the only one who can change that. Hope this helps.
  • DeguelloTex
    Options

Well then I don't know. I've been thinking of trying reverse dieting. But I don't know if it actually works or not. Maybe my metabolism is just in a bit of a slump.
    They eat less relative to how much they burn than you do. Metabolisms don't really slump like that.

• CasperNaegle
    CasperNaegle Posts: 936 Member
    Options
    I would eat as healthy as I can, but also enjoy your vacation!! I don't know where you are on your journey but I eat well and exercise to enjoy life. I'm guessing you don't get 3 week vacations that much in your life. So track what you eat, even if way over. Eat healthy most of the time, but enjoy things too.