Options
124»

Replies

• ForestFairy022
    ForestFairy022 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    suziecue20 wrote: »
    Sorry I messed up the above post

Haha I doubt that. No rivalry between us. I didn't actually mean to bring her into the conversation like that. It's just an observation I make every time I'm there.
  • suziecue20
    suziecue20 Posts: 567 Member
    Options

Haha I doubt that. No rivalry between us. I didn't actually mean to bring her into the conversation like that. It's just an observation I make every time I'm there.

emphasis - that's good!

All I can say is eat to make yourself as happy as possible (dietwise) track as much as you can, get a bit of exercise and above all - enjoy your holiday with your sister :)

• ForestFairy022
    Options

emphasis - that's good!

All I can say is eat to make yourself as happy as possible (dietwise) track as much as you can, get a bit of exercise and above all - enjoy your holiday with your sister :)

Life's too short for rivalries. I've never had a single fight with either one of my siblings. And they treat me better than I most likely deserve. :) my sisters parents GAVE me a car... (which I crashed up on friday...and they are not even angry...)
  • suziecue20
    suziecue20 Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    I know you think yourself very lucky to have those relatives and you should be - After 4 years of litigation between my partner and his brother I am glad I'm an only child.
  • dubird
    dubird Posts: 1,849 Member
    Options
    dubird wrote: »
    Do you log at all on vacation? If you log every meal, even if it's estimates, that will give you an idea where you are after each meal and you can adjust accordingly. If you know the restaurants they like to go to, see if they have nutrition info online or call them. Most places have that information, if not online, then they might can give it to you when you're there. That way, you can plan exactly what you're going to order and you won't be as likely to go over.

Even though they say you can't cook for them because you're the guest, insist on it. Tell them you found this amazing recipe that you know they'll love and you want to cook them at least one meal to thank them for letting you join them on vacation. If you put it like that, they're less likely to object. After all, kinda hard to tell someone no when they're trying to do something nice for them in appreciation!

Also, at the beach? Swim. I don't know if it's a lake or ocean beach, but if it's ocean beach with waves, that's good exercise to swim against them. See if there's any museums or something nearby you can go visit and walk through. Boardwalks with shops are good to, make sure you visit every store, even if you're not going to buy anything. You can add a LOT of steps for your day by doing that, and even though it's not really cardio since you're not walking fast, it does burn extra calories.

Vacation doesn't HAVE to mean gaining weight, as long as you just watch your intake. I couldn't log on our cruise a couple months ago, but I did at least write down what I ate during the day and keeping track let me adjust if I felt I needed to. Only gained 2 lb on the cruise, so I consider that a win. Also, consider that if you spend all your time worrying about gaining weight, you won't have fun. Vacations are supposed to be fun, so go have fun!

First of all.. I can't swim...haha... but other than that the best I have is a guess anyway. The restaurants we eat at doesn't have info on mfp. They aren't chains. They're local. So I'd still have to estimate on mfp.

You can still ask. There's local places around here that have nutrition info, you just have to ask for it. And an estimation is really all you need to see if you're getting too much calories. You have to log after everything you eat, though, instead of all at the end of the day. Otherwise, you can't adjust for later meals.

And swimming is a good form of exercise, plus is actually doable during the day in the summer! XD Consider learning to swim, espically if you are spending time out on the water in boats or whatnot. Just in case.
  • ForestFairy022
    Options
    Do you log at all on vacation? If you log every meal, even if it's estimates, that will give you an idea where you are after each meal and you can adjust accordingly. If you know the restaurants they like to go to, see if they have nutrition info online or call them. Most places have that information, if not online, then they might can give it to you when you're there. That way, you can plan exactly what you're going to order and you won't be as likely to go over.

Even though they say you can't cook for them because you're the guest, insist on it. Tell them you found this amazing recipe that you know they'll love and you want to cook them at least one meal to thank them for letting you join them on vacation. If you put it like that, they're less likely to object. After all, kinda hard to tell someone no when they're trying to do something nice for them in appreciation!

Also, at the beach? Swim. I don't know if it's a lake or ocean beach, but if it's ocean beach with waves, that's good exercise to swim against them. See if there's any museums or something nearby you can go visit and walk through. Boardwalks with shops are good to, make sure you visit every store, even if you're not going to buy anything. You can add a LOT of steps for your day by doing that, and even though it's not really cardio since you're not walking fast, it does burn extra calories.

Vacation doesn't HAVE to mean gaining weight, as long as you just watch your intake. I couldn't log on our cruise a couple months ago, but I did at least write down what I ate during the day and keeping track let me adjust if I felt I needed to. Only gained 2 lb on the cruise, so I consider that a win. Also, consider that if you spend all your time worrying about gaining weight, you won't have fun. Vacations are supposed to be fun, so go have fun!

First of all.. I can't swim...haha... but other than that the best I have is a guess anyway. The restaurants we eat at doesn't have info on mfp. They aren't chains. They're local. So I'd still have to estimate on mfp.

You can still ask. There's local places around here that have nutrition info, you just have to ask for it. And an estimation is really all you need to see if you're getting too much calories. You have to log after everything you eat, though, instead of all at the end of the day. Otherwise, you can't adjust for later meals.

And swimming is a good form of exercise, plus is actually doable during the day in the summer! XD Consider learning to swim, espically if you are spending time out on the water in boats or whatnot. Just in case.

Yeah well, the problem is, I do know how to swim, I just seem to sink like a rock every time I try. So I've got a bit of a fear of water. The nearest I'm getting to that ocean is walking with my feet in the water along the shore. ;)

Best part I guess is the sand. You try walking 3 kilometres on that sand...heesh, my calves were burning like hell the last time we were there. That's already a good workout.
  • jeepinshawn
    jeepinshawn Posts: 642 Member
    Options
    So, in December I'm going on a 3 week vacation with my sister's family. And I'm already stressing out, because they eat out daily. And it's not usually to chains, just random restaurants.

I'm probably going to gain plenty after this trip. I just don't know how to avoid it. I mean of course I could go for baked grilled ect...but even those things have tons of calories in a restaurant. (1050 for a burger in a restaurant, 500 for my homemade one, what?!)

Should I just roll with it and lose the weight AGAIN after I get back?? :sweat:

I was nervous about our week long summer one because I knew we'd be eating out a lot. What I did was make sure I got plenty of walking in, and I tried to choose healthier option, opting for a taco salad instead of enchiladas, grilled chicken breast, lettuce bun, instead of a cheese burger, just make sure you try and track the best you can, a rough idea of your intake is better then no idea. Just don't let it turn into a free for all and try and stay away from things that you KNOW have a ton of calories.
  • dubird
    dubird Posts: 1,849 Member
    Options

Yeah well, the problem is, I do know how to swim, I just seem to sink like a rock every time I try. So I've got a bit of a fear of water. The nearest I'm getting to that ocean is walking with my feet in the water along the shore. ;)

Best part I guess is the sand. You try walking 3 kilometres on that sand...heesh, my calves were burning like hell the last time we were there. That's already a good workout.

Especially wet sand! And if you're trying to deal with a fear of water, ocean definitely isn't the place to try and work through it! I sink too, for some reason I never can do a proper back float, my feet always sink down and keep going. Stupid big feet. *ahem* I've found if I can keep my arms and legs moving, even just a little bit, I don't sink though. Means I don't float in one place, so I have to keep an eye out so I don't hit the side of the pool! XD
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options
    Theres no reason to be stressed. If you go back to weight loss fundamentals and cico then all you need to do to lose weight, be it on holiday or otherwise is to eat less than you burn. If uoi think eating out will make you eat more then look at your methods of control.

1. Portion control.
    2. Eat smart and choose options tha are less calorie dense and more nutrutious. Think steamed, boiled, stir friend rather than deep friend, think light suaces ratehr than thick heavy ones.
    3. Burn extra calories with exercise.

Use those 3 methods and you shopuld be there or thereabouts. You cna even lose should you choose to do so. Enjoy your holiday, enjoy your food.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    Eat no more than half of what is served, skip the bread, split plates with someone else when you can, ask them to leave certain items off your plate (such as fries), request substitutes, limit alcohol, etc. It can be a challenge, but I've lost 2 pounds on each of my last 2 vacas whole eating well, so it is possible. I just have to ask myself: which go I want more, the good or the number on the scales?
  • Sandcastles61
    Sandcastles61 Posts: 506 Member
    Options
    You can always leave half on your plate and no one will blink an eye. Practice eating only until you are satiated as well as eyeballing portions (backed up by weighing the portion). I also frequently will order something off the appetizer menu with a dinner/side salad because the portion size is smaller. Depending who I am traveling or eating out with, there is no shame in asking if someone wants to"split" a meal with you. I have been pleasantly surprised by how many restaurants gladly offer to divide one lunch or dinner entree for you in the kitchen..... Because even they know their portions are ridiculously large. Most of all, have a great time :)
  • conniehgtv
    conniehgtv Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    where are you going?
  • ForestFairy022
    Options
    conniehgtv wrote: »
    where are you going?

To the beach. It's not in the us or anything so I doubt you will know if I said it's name haha.
  • slideaway1
    slideaway1 Posts: 1,006 Member
    Options
    The last vacation (holiday) I went on was all inclusive to Disneyland (Florida). They had a beautiful gym in the hotel that I used most mornings. I walked loads around the theme parks and sight seeing. I went swimming in the pool, played tennis with my brother. I ate loads at the Buffets everyday and drank a lot too and certainly got my money's worth. You can still enjoy eating everything you want by combining it with keeping active and also relaxing. Enjoy your holiday and enjoy your food.
  • ncfitbit
    ncfitbit Posts: 1,058 Member
    Options
    I get your concern and maybe a lot of things won't be in your control, but I've been surprised in similar situations how helpful it's been to decide ahead of time what my goals are so that I'm not disheartened when I get back from my vacation. Is it okay with you to gain a few pounds and then just get right back to it? Okay, cool. Then, just enjoy it as much as possible and do what you can. Want to maintain? Cool. Whatever you choose, let that be okay and part of the larger plan. It's just way more difficult, in my experience, to get back to it after your vacation if you feel like you failed somehow.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    oooh don't you just lurv those sticks of people who can eat anything :# Well if it was me and they were paying ahem I'd go for the lobster every time - very healthy and low cal :)
    reddit-thats-not-how-this-works.jpg

Nope, but they are more toned than me, which means they have more muscle. Which means they burn more calories. I'm all flab and bones. Haha. I wasn't allowed to do much muscle development growing up. Tbh the last time I probably built any was in kindergarden, doing monkeybars...before my mother decided to put me in a glass box.

You weren't allowed to 'do much muscle development'? :huh: what does that even mean??
  • ForestFairy022
    Options
    oooh don't you just lurv those sticks of people who can eat anything :# Well if it was me and they were paying ahem I'd go for the lobster every time - very healthy and low cal :)
    reddit-thats-not-how-this-works.jpg

Nope, but they are more toned than me, which means they have more muscle. Which means they burn more calories. I'm all flab and bones. Haha. I wasn't allowed to do much muscle development growing up. Tbh the last time I probably built any was in kindergarden, doing monkeybars...before my mother decided to put me in a glass box.

You weren't allowed to 'do much muscle development'? :huh: what does that even mean??

It means I wasn't allowed to use my muscles in sports. Of any kind. Ever. I haven't done any kind of sport since kindergarten. Nothing more strenuous than sweeping the floor at home. I had to sit on my butt most of the time studying.

It also means I have much more fat than muscle. Always have. Always been overweight. Always been dieting. Since I was 13.