Treadmill or elliptical?

Options
I'm still back and forth between a treadmill and an elliptical. Can I have your input? I'd like a good calorie burn.

Replies

• ds6099
    ds6099 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    In regards to purchasing one.
  • Mycophilia
    Mycophilia Posts: 1,225 Member
    Options
    Just do the one you like the most. Adherence to exercise over the long term is the best calorie burn.
  • slinke2014
    slinke2014 Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    yep, whichever one you like. I stick with treadmills because ellipticals make my feet go numb. Just a personal preference
  • MsJulesRenee
    MsJulesRenee Posts: 1,180 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    My opinion - I don't like home ellipticals compared to a very nice one you would find at a gym. The stride is too short for me and hurts my knees/numbs my feet, I'm only 5'6". I bought a good one so I didn't have to go to the gym on snowy days and the stride was still too short. Bought it on a whim so that was my fault :blush: Went back to my gym membership. Never owned a treadmill.
  • earthnut
    earthnut Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    If you have a preference for one, id pick elliptical. You burn more calories in more time with less effort. Plus you can always go running outside for free. :)
  • BrigDoggD
    BrigDoggD Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I like the elliptical best, if it's the right one. Some are harder than others. I like the smooth ones.
  • hotasfire36
    hotasfire36 Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    Elliptical
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    I choose death
  • Immerito
    Immerito Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    Neither. A rowing machine offers a better calorie burn.
  • SherryTeach
    SherryTeach Posts: 2,836 Member
    Options
    I've been happy with my high quality True treadmill since 2002. It has been reliable, quiet, and I can read on my Kindle. Most of all, I don't usually dread using it. And I can make it easy or as hard as I like.
  • Brin1956
    Brin1956 Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    Pick one by how you like it. Try them both, I know a lot of people do not like the Elliptical. How about a stationary recumbent bike?
  • jeremywm1977
    jeremywm1977 Posts: 657 Member
    Options
    Immerito wrote: »
    Neither. A rowing machine offers a better calorie burn.

Yes, so does HIIT, strength training, etc..........I love the practice of crowbarring ones self into a "this or that" question with an answer to the question that is not an answer to the question.

[Steps down from soapbox] For my money, I would go with an elliptical. I've done treadmill workouts with an incline and weights, but I always seem to get a better calorie burn on an elliptical with mild to moderate resistance.
  • theawill519
    theawill519 Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    Elliptical. You can walk outside. You can't ellipse outside.
  • hamptontom
    hamptontom Posts: 536 Member
    Options
    Thea519 wrote: »

and yet, now i can't seem to shake the mental image of someone trying. ideally dressed like an Amish farmer. :)
  • jeremywm1977
    Options

They do make elliptical bicycles, which is a trip to watch someone ride.

• theawill519
    theawill519 Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    hamptontom wrote: »

and yet, now i can't seem to shake the mental image of someone trying. ideally dressed like an Amish farmer. :)
    LOL :D

They do make elliptical bicycles, which is a trip to watch someone ride.

I just watched a promo vid for the "Street Strider" on Youtube... O my! :D
  • whiteblossom14
    whiteblossom14 Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    Yes a elliptical burns more calories but I find I can only go on one for about 40 mins then my feet really hurt and go numb. I have a treadmill I get lost in my books and time passes quicker. But at the end of the day it's what you want. If you have a treadmill that inclines you can burn just as much calories
  • jeremywm1977
    Options
    Yes a elliptical burns more calories but I find I can only go on one for about 40 mins then my feet really hurt and go numb.

I was having a similar issue, and then I switched shoes to my running shoes. I was wearing basketball style tennis shoes previously. Once I switched to running shoes (lightweight, breathable mesh style) the pain and numbness went away. That's just my experience...results may vary.
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    DavPul wrote: »
    I choose death

I choose cake.
  • whiteblossom14
    whiteblossom14 Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    Yes a elliptical burns more calories but I find I can only go on one for about 40 mins then my feet really hurt and go numb.

I was having a similar issue, and then I switched shoes to my running shoes. I was wearing basketball style tennis shoes previously. Once I switched to running shoes (lightweight, breathable mesh style) the pain and numbness went away. That's just my experience...results may vary.
    I went into a sports shop told them my problem they gave me new lightweight mesh ones but they didn't help I was a lot of money down and still sore feet!! Maybe I just have funny feet