Mashed Potatoes are bad news!

Options

Replies

• annette_15
    annette_15 Posts: 1,657 Member
    Options
    Sweet potatoes are great to mash because you dont have to add anything to them to make them thick and creamy, just boil, season and mash
  • emiliebecause
    emiliebecause Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    lalainap19 wrote: »
    I have to eat some sort of potatoes because I'm low in potassium.

Right...like the people who "have to" eat bananas.

There are tons of other things that contain potassium.

webmd.com/food-recipes/high-potassium-foods-topic-overview

ohh thanks for this. :-)
  • janiceclark08
    janiceclark08 Posts: 1,341 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    I buy pre made mashed potatoes Bob Evans, they are good only 150 calories 1/2a cup. I have been eating them since the beginning of my weight loss. I still have lost weight eating them alot and they are not instant. I cant believe no one else buys them or Country Crock, again they are not instant potatoes and you microwave them plus they taste like real mashed potatoes.
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,827 Member
    Options
    This thread sucks!

Day before yesterday it forced me to empty my fridge and "mash" together Yams, 100% pure pumpkin from a can, Quark Cheese, Butter, and Ham. Last batch yesterday was 625g and 683 Cal!

So today, the evil influence continued and I was forced to go and shop, and now I am sitting here groaning after eating 520g (and only 391Cal!) of Sweet Potatoes, Parsnips, Baby Potatoes, Onion, 100% pure pumpkin from a can, and some laughing cow light cheese pulverised together till smooth and creamy in a long suffering pot!

Oh MFP treads, why, oh why?!
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    PAV8888 wrote: »
    This thread sucks!

Day before yesterday it forced me to empty my fridge and "mash" together Yams, 100% pure pumpkin from a can, Quark Cheese, Butter, and Ham. Last batch yesterday was 625g and 683 Cal!

So today, the evil influence continued and I was forced to go and shop, and now I am sitting here groaning after eating 520g (and only 391Cal!) of Sweet Potatoes, Parsnips, Baby Potatoes, Onion, 100% pure pumpkin from a can, and some laughing cow light cheese pulverised together till smooth and creamy in a long suffering pot!

Oh MFP treads, why, oh why?!

I'm so sorry, that sounds horrible! For god's sake, don't watch the cooking channel!!!... of Breaking Bad, for that matter ;)
  • brightsideofpink
    brightsideofpink Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options
    I loved mashed potatoes, and of all the calorie combinations I've tried, I've found that higher fat and richer tastes satisfy me better than lower calorie combinations. One of the best tips I've found on my journey is to not eat mindlessly. To savor every bite. So while each g may be higher in calories, I can get satisfied on less g with a richer mashed potato. My favorite thus far is adding a strong cheese- like gorgonzola. Yummm.
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    laur357 wrote: »
    I'm not an expert in many things. But I might be an expert in mashed potatoes. One of my favorite foods!

Add herbs, garlic, or a very flavorful cheese and reduce the amount of butter/cream. Asiago, blue, and extra sharp cheddar stand out more than milder cheeses so you can use less.

Smash red skin potatoes with the skins on for extra fiber/nutrients. Parsley, chives, and sour cream with a smashed potato is superb.

Mash a bunch of wilted greens with potato. If you don't love greens, you might like them in mashed potatoes. And having a bunch of lower cal greens like kale or spinach can bulk up the amount of food you get.

Try using reduced fat buttermilk instead of milk and butter. The tangy flavor is nice and works well in place of a buttery flavor. Or broth and a little olive oil instead of dairy.

Whip with low-fat ricotta or cream cheese. (I continue to use full fat and make it fit.)

Use mashed potatoes as an ingredient in something else so there isn't a giant pot of creamy goodness. Maybe a shepherd's pie or meatloaf muffins. Think of how mad your friends will be if you strip the taters off their portion.

DEAR GOD, WHY HAS IT NEVER OCCURRED TO ME TO MAKE MASHED POTATOES WITH BLUE CHEESE?!?!?!

I must rectify this error...
  • auddii
    Options
    auddii wrote: »
    I'm not an expert in many things. But I might be an expert in mashed potatoes. One of my favorite foods!

Add herbs, garlic, or a very flavorful cheese and reduce the amount of butter/cream. Asiago, blue, and extra sharp cheddar stand out more than milder cheeses so you can use less.

Smash red skin potatoes with the skins on for extra fiber/nutrients. Parsley, chives, and sour cream with a smashed potato is superb.

Mash a bunch of wilted greens with potato. If you don't love greens, you might like them in mashed potatoes. And having a bunch of lower cal greens like kale or spinach can bulk up the amount of food you get.

Try using reduced fat buttermilk instead of milk and butter. The tangy flavor is nice and works well in place of a buttery flavor. Or broth and a little olive oil instead of dairy.

Whip with low-fat ricotta or cream cheese. (I continue to use full fat and make it fit.)

Use mashed potatoes as an ingredient in something else so there isn't a giant pot of creamy goodness. Maybe a shepherd's pie or meatloaf muffins. Think of how mad your friends will be if you strip the taters off their portion.

DEAR GOD, WHY HAS IT NEVER OCCURRED TO ME TO MAKE MASHED POTATOES WITH BLUE CHEESE?!?!?!

You won't be sorry.

I'm thinking for liquid I could also do some blue cheese dressing for extra flavors. But now I'm sad because I realized I'm going out for dinner all this week and then I'm leaving for vacation. *Sigh*
  • laur357
    laur357 Posts: 896 Member
    Options

You won't be sorry. [/quote]

Truth . . . it is delightful.
  • dragon_girl26
    dragon_girl26 Posts: 2,187 Member
    Options
    Mashed potatoes are definitely worth it. I had some today in fact, mixed with a little butter, buttermilk, and wasabi. They went incredibly well with my Asian chicken. So much happiness right now..
  • raelynnsmama52512
    raelynnsmama52512 Posts: 1,184 Member
    Options
    Am I the only one who puts mayo in their mashed potatoes? Haven't seen that thrown in yet...

• auddii
    Options
    Am I the only one who puts mayo in their mashed potatoes? Haven't seen that thrown in yet...

Yes. You're weird. :wink:
  • raelynnsmama52512
    raelynnsmama52512 Posts: 1,184 Member
    Options

Yep, I knew it! :laugh:

Seriously, a tablespoon of Duke's mayo per serving (I usually make enough for 3.), makes them creamier and gives a little more flavor! Don't knock it until you try it! ;)
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options

Yep, I knew it! :laugh:

Seriously, a tablespoon of Duke's mayo per serving (I usually make enough for 3.), makes them creamier and gives a little more flavor! Don't knock it until you try it! ;)

I put (vegan) mayo in my potato skin filling -- it's really good. But then, I'm a mayo fiend . . .
  • Coley88
    Coley88 Posts: 114 Member
    Options

I'm planning on making mashed potatoes later (because of this thread and the fact that I have a massive bag of Yukon golds right now) and I was contemplating adding mayo. I've never done it before.
  • ForeverSunshine09
    ForeverSunshine09 Posts: 966 Member
    Options

I dated someone whose parents cooked them that way and my stepdad tried to feed me some that way thinking I was only not eating them knowing they mayo but, nope he made em and I was like "I don't know what is wrong with these but, they are gross!" I think it is more of a downhome recipe to use mayo. I personally don't like it
    WBB55 wrote: »
    Yeah, if OP ate more than 1200 calories per day, he'd have room for mashed potatoes. But under doctor's care, so personally I'd tell my doctor.

I ate 1200 cals for a few months whem I started and still had mashed potatoes once or twice a week.
  • snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    Options

You won't be sorry.

I'm thinking for liquid I could also do some blue cheese dressing for extra flavors. But now I'm sad because I realized I'm going out for dinner all this week and then I'm leaving for vacation. *Sigh*

I'll go on your vacation so you can sit at home and eat all the blue mashed you want. <nods>
  • snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    Options
    I put mayo in mashed potatoes when I use the instant flakes. The mayo completely takes away that boxy flavour. :)
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options
    Mayo? In mashed potatoes?

Granted I haven't kept up with this thread, but I find this disturbing. Then again, I hate mayo.

Cream cheese? Now we're talking.
  • JeffBrown3
    JeffBrown3 Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    I like adding cream cheese to my potatoes.