After only 3 weeks, I've dropped an entire pound!!! Woo Hoo!!

Options

Replies

• WBB55
    WBB55 Posts: 4,131 Member
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    "No matter how much they exercise or how little they eat, these men are unable to shed this excess weight that accumulates in their belly. Published studies have shown that low testosterone and obesity reinforce each other, trapping men in a spiral of weight gain and hormonal imbalance.1-5"

I guess no one bothered to actually read the article or referenced footnotes. I am scheduled next month to have my testosterone checked. The results will vindicate either me or you. Stay tuned.....

It still boils down to CI<CO

There is no vindication

The only person invested in your story is you

Everyone else is trying to help you

Testosterone is related to musculature ...again we are back to lifting heavy

Wait... I have next to no testosterone and yet can lose weight! My BMR is lower than OP's yet somehow I'm able to manage to lose weight!

Or do all these excuses only apply to OP? Let's see what _MY_ original excuses were:

-Obesity runs on both sides of the family, it's genetic!
    -Everyone in my family has diabetes and high cholesterol, it's obviously going to happen to me, too!
    -I don't have time to track properly, I'm too busy with work and living an exciting life!
    -I don't have time to cook every meal from scratch!
    -"Healthy" food tastes bad, I can't stick with it!
    -It doesn't matter if I'm overweight, lots of people like bigger women, so why bother?
    -I've tried before, and it didn't work!
    -Everyone in the US is fat, it's the corporations keeping us this way!

Hmm. Seems like we all have excuses. **looks at my ticker** yet some of us can lose weight through solving our issues like an adult.
  • Blueseraphchaos
    Blueseraphchaos Posts: 843 Member
    Options
    JaneiR36 wrote: »
    flatlndr wrote: »
    I can't believe this thread is continuing after we've determined that this person is a speshul snoflake who can't ever lose weight even though he is everything perfectly correct.

Either
    1. It's a contest to see who can be more stubborn, him or us, or ...
    2. We're all really hoping he comes around to appreciate our success, and we are determined to get him to join us there

I guess so. I mean, i haven't lost any weight, and i didn't have to go to the doctor to figure out was wrong with me, so i guess i don't know what he's talking about. -end sarcasm.

At any rate, i definitely find it sad when someone is so determined to blind himself to the truth and take the time to research excuses rather than just TRY THE ADVICE. But hey....whatever....i can help people who WANT help, or i can waste my time on someone who doesn't want help.

Why can't you do both??

Because starting Monday, i truly won't have time.

Although i think I'd spend $10 on a scale and try that first, although i guess depending what insurance a person has, going to the doctor can be free.

Oh well.
  • flatlndr
    flatlndr Posts: 713 Member
    Options
    "No matter how much they exercise or how little they eat, these men are unable to shed this excess weight that accumulates in their belly. Published studies have shown that low testosterone and obesity reinforce each other, trapping men in a spiral of weight gain and hormonal imbalance.1-5"

I guess no one bothered to actually read the article or referenced footnotes. I am scheduled next month to have my testosterone checked. The results will vindicate either me or you. Stay tuned.....

I read the article. I also noted the following at the end of the article:
    To order the new Male Life Extension Weight Loss Blood Test Panel at the special introductory price of only $249, call 1-800-208-3444 or log on to www.lef.org/blood. A description of the many important tests included in the Male Life Extension Weight Loss Blood Test Panel can be found on www.lef.org/blood

I can't help but be cynical about an article that closes in such a fashion.

But, go ahead and get tested. Hopefully you're not paying for it.
    As I said in an earlier post, until you've had a physician-diagnosed condition, we're going to hold onto our CI/CO view here, and that you are presently consuming more calories than you believe you are.
  • xjessicaxrx
    xjessicaxrx Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    Most days your eating under 1000 calories, seems ypu might be starving yourself or the body thinks so so your metabolism slows down to help store food for later - this helps you gain weight.

I've heard this before but please explain how consistently eating less calories causes you to gain weight? I thought that was supposed to be the whole point to weight loss.

What a silly idea to come up with? http://www.aworkoutroutine.com/starvation-mode/
  • purelyprimitives
    purelyprimitives Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Able to schedule/procure testosterone testing but not a food scale?

Yeah, I think we're being trolled here.

No you're not. Some people here are by far the most vile, negative people I have ever met. Because I'm a Vietnam veteran, I go to the VA for free medical. I'm on Coumadin for life because I have Peripheral Vascular Disease and have my blood tested every month. I asked my VA doctor to include a test for testosterone and he agreed.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options

No you're not. Some people here are by far the most vile, negative people I have ever met. Because I'm a Vietnam veteran, I go to the VA for free medical. I'm on Coumadin for life because I have Peripheral Vascular Disease and have my blood tested every month. I asked my VA doctor to include a test for testosterone and he agreed.

People here aren't being vile. It's just that some people are frustrated because you seem to be rejecting the solid and proven advice you've been offered to grasp at straws. I do apologize for my comment about trolling -- if your doctor has agreed to perform the test at no cost to you, that makes more sense. But considering you can get a food scale for around ten dollars, I still think that would be more productive than hoping you have a medical condition.
  • Vivi_boo
    Vivi_boo Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    That was me, until I started doing intermittent fasting! I see results now.
  • purelyprimitives
    Options

People here aren't being vile. It's just that some people are frustrated because you seem to be rejecting the solid and proven advice you've been offered to grasp at straws. I do apologize for my comment about trolling -- if your doctor has agreed to perform the test at no cost to you, that makes more sense. But considering you can get a food scale for around ten dollars, I still think that would be more productive than hoping you have a medical condition.

No more frustrated than I am that no one here will believe me. Let's say I buy a scale and weight everything. Then, let's say that I find I am still not losing weight. What then? I will then be accused of not weighing properly or not weighing everything, or..... I doubt people here will ever believe anything I say if it doesn't line up with the CICO religion.
  • purelyprimitives
    Options
    Vivi_boo wrote: »
    That was me, until I started doing intermittent fasting! I see results now.

I tried the Warrior Diet for a week and lost 5 pounds. Intermittent fasting does work. The only reason I stopped was that my wife thought it wasn't safe.
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options

No more frustrated than I am that no one here will believe me. Let's say I buy a scale and weight everything. Then, let's say that I find I am still not losing weight. What then? I will then be accused of not weighing properly or not weighing everything, or..... I doubt people here will ever believe anything I say if it doesn't line up with the CICO religion.

No one believes you eat 1200 without counting your calories because it has been proven time and time again that people just plain suck thick monkey balls at estimating calories. Someone probably already showed you the video with two days of identical foods where one had almost double the calories without even looking bigger.

You're eating too much. You might have a bit slower metabolism than others but that just piles on top of the fact that you're not eating as little as you think you are. As others have said, unless you have every single metabolic condition that adversely affects your calorie burn you'd be losing at 1200, there is simply no way around it physically.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options

I think it's unlikely, that if you were weighing your food and choosing correct database entries, we'd have to worry about what would happen if you still were still unable to lose weight.

"CICO religion" is an unfair term. You're the one who seems to be taking on faith that CICO won't work. Why not try it before dismissing it?
  • WBB55
    WBB55 Posts: 4,131 Member
    Options

When you hear hooves, you should think "horses" before you think "zebra." We aren't dismissing the notion that you have a bit low of testosterone (so do all women), that your BMR is slower because of high fat mass (like most americans), that your wife is enabling you to be obese (like a lot of people with spouses), etc. etc. WE BELIEVE YOU. We just also have the facts, which is you're not weighing and you're overestimating your exercise. Horses, not zebras.
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options

Or you could just assume you're doing everything fine and skip straight to the whining part.
  • Sandcastles61
    Sandcastles61 Posts: 506 Member
    Options
    I have stayed out of the fray on this one because OP has gotten lots of good advice. I am glad you are going to have your blood testing done to give you more information. Unfortunately, if you are overweight in addition to your age(67), it will likely show declines although we will all hope the best for you. Interestingly, if you look at the'natural' ways to increase your testerone level, they recommend getting good sleep, losing weight and exercising. Maybe while you are waiting for the test results you could just give a little of the advice you have received a try?

I also want to thank you for your service..... I know the VA has an excellent program for our veterans to give you one on one weight loss assistance tailored to your circumstances including several visits with a dietician. Best wishes to you. I am confident you will find something that works for you
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,136 Member
    Options
    auddii wrote: »

Or you could just assume you're doing everything fine and skip straight to the whining part.
    giphy.gif
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options
    So you have the testing, they tell you your testosterone is low, then what? Think, yay, I was right all along, I'm just going to be overweight forever, go me!

Sure there can be mitigating medical issues that make weight loss harder but 1. you do not have every metabolic disorder ever known to man (and a few questionable ones made up) and 2. science says you will, absolutely, without doubt, lose weight if you eat at a deficit, any deficit. The size of the deficit versus TDEE will decide how much but as others are sick of saying. If you have really been eating at any sort of deficit for as long as you say you have, you would still have lost weight regardless of medical conditions.

So I'll say it for the umpteenth time, you are eating a lot more than you think. A bit more butter/oil than you realise, a thicker slice of bread, a slightly larger than you realise serving of potatoes or pasta, a larger cut of meat. Half a teaspoon of full fat salad dressing more, several nuts more than a serving, a larger slice of cheese. It all adds up.

But no, you carry on, you're definitely only eating 1200 calories and not losing any weight at all because you're a medical marvel.
  • flatlndr
    flatlndr Posts: 713 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options

While I disagree with your "vile, negative" comment, out of respect to your time in service of country, I'll do my best to stand down until your test reports are in. Was the blood work initiated at your last appointment? If so, when do you expect your results/feedback? If not, when is your next appointment?

• purelyprimitives
    Options
    This was not directed at you flatlndr.

I emailed my VA doctor and requested the additional test. My normal INR test is on September 1 and it takes about 3 days for it to show up in my on-line medical account. I'll take a screen shot and share it here. However, assuming it's low, I really don't know where to go from there.
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    This was not directed at you flatlndr.

I emailed my VA doctor and requested the additional test. My normal INR test is on September 1 and it takes about 3 days for it to show up in my on-line medical account. I'll take a screen shot and share it here. However, assuming it's low, I really don't know where to go from there.

If it's at an actionable level, the doctors should contact you about treating it. If you're concerned once you get the results, ask to talk to someone about what they mean and what an actionable level would be.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    Honestly I think you're being lazy, sounding whiny and full of excuses

I think you think basic physics doesn't apply to you for god knows what made up reason. Your testosterone may well be low that just changes the CO part. Science still applies you're just not doing it properly.

It's fine. Just stay fat. Food tastes great, hunger sucks and getting fit is tough: the constant effort and commitment is hard ...we get it.

...learn to accept that unfortunately it will not ease your old age carrying excess weight and it may cut short your life particularly as you are already suffering from arterial disease.

It is absolutely your decision