After only 3 weeks, I've dropped an entire pound!!! Woo Hoo!!

Options

Replies

• flatlndr
    flatlndr Posts: 713 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    Thanks for the links! According to the first site, my TDEE is 2552!! I select the lowest activity level. I'll check the foods I eat against their charts to see any differences.
    iyge6d66zmkt.png

That TDEE number seems high to me, based on other calculators I have used.
    I think you're going to be disappointed with your results if you follow that one.
    If you go back to page 2 of this thread, you'll see what numbers I got for you via a different calculator.

Regardless, the net is, set a target, weigh/measure/record meticulously, and based on results after 3-4 weeks, make adjustments.
  • purelyprimitives
    purelyprimitives Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Didn't realize the video was so long but will make an attempt to get through it over time. Its odd that it only got a 5.6 out of 10 review??

Here is just the most important part of the episode, 3:32 minutes. And the rating really doesn't matter when the information is correct and proves the point that people eat way more than they realise.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KA9AdlhB18o

This documentary was first aired in 2009. Here is Debbie Chazen in 2010. I guess she didn't take their advice :). alv5b68ouucn.png

• Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the links! According to the first site, my TDEE is 2552!!

That's almost definitely too high. You can't use generic calculators with that much weight to lose. Knock off about 300 calories and start from there.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    How do you guys get such precise measurements? Mine fluctuates sometimes about a pound every day or so. So I can't really measure unless its a loss of over 2kg

Precision is easy.

It's accuracy that's hard.
  • purelyprimitives
    Options
    flatlndr wrote: »

I think you're going to be disappointed with your results if you follow that one.
    If you go back to page 2 of this thread, you'll see what numbers I got for you via a different calculator.

Regardless, the net is, set a target, weigh/measure/record meticulously, and based on results after 3-4 weeks, make adjustments.

I have a question then. For lunch today I had a BLT. The bread is easy because the calories/slice is listed on the label. I assume I can use this. The lettuce is fresh lettuce and I have no idea other than to take the default setting for lettuce. Same for 2 slices of tomato. I can measure 1 TBSP of mayo. The problem is the bacon. Raw, its 90 cals/piece. Cooked its ?? My wife bakes it in the oven on a corregated aluminum foil sheet which captures the melted fat and after she dabs it with a paper towel. So after its cooked I have no idea what the calories are.
    How do I know how many calories I ate?
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    How much did

Bread weigh - barcode scan it, enter by grammes
    Tomato weigh - use usda verified entry
    Cooked bacon weigh (fat trimmed?) - use appropriate entry - double check against other calorie site
    Mayo weigh - barcode scan it, enter by grammes

Enter by weights

Double check on other calorie sites

Next time you can trust the entries in your recent foods
  • SimoneBee12
    SimoneBee12 Posts: 268 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options

I have a question then. For lunch today I had a BLT. The bread is easy because the calories/slice is listed on the label. I assume I can use this. The lettuce is fresh lettuce and I have no idea other than to take the default setting for lettuce. Same for 2 slices of tomato. I can measure 1 TBSP of mayo. The problem is the bacon. Raw, its 90 cals/piece. Cooked its ?? My wife bakes it in the oven on a corregated aluminum foil sheet which captures the melted fat and after she dabs it with a paper towel. So after its cooked I have no idea what the calories are.

Firstly. The fact that Debbie Chazen didn't lose any weight after finding out she didn't have a slow metabolism, she was just eating to much, proves my point. People overestimate what they burn and underestimate what they eat.

Secondly, for the bacon, you should weigh it and log the weight. For me, 2 slices of bacon is a serving, it's meant to be 60g, but normally it's closer to 80g, which can be another 100 or so calories. So I would log 1.3 servings, or 80g if they have it on the database.

Oh, and where you said, "The problem is the bacon. Raw, its 90 cals/piece. Cooked its ??", cooked its 90 calories a piece, unless you added oil or something.
  • flatlndr
    edited August 2015
    Options
    For the bacon, I would have used the raw cals, and ignored the "removed fat" calories.

mayo is tricky ... i found out the hard way (via peanut butter) that it's better to weigh mayo than use tbsp units, because a) you're probably using a measuring spoon, b) you're probably getting a bit of a rounded spoonful than a flat spoonful.
    Get a digital scale, zero it out with the spoon on it, weigh it with the mayo, and then you'll know how much you're really getting.

PS -- in my case, my 1 tbsp of peanut butter was closer to 2.5 ... that's a lot of extra cals. Mayo can pack quite a few cals in a small space as well.

Edited to fix a typo
  • SimoneBee12
    Options
    For the bacon, I would have used the raw cals, and ignored the "removed fat" calories.

mayo is tricky ... i found out the hard way (via peanut butter) that it's better to weigh mayo than use tbsp units, because a) you're probably using a measuring spoon, b) you're probably getting a bit of a rounded spoonful than a flat spoonful.
    Get a digital scan, zero it out with the spoon on it, weigh it with the mayo, and then you'll know how much you're really getting.

PS -- in my case, my 1 tbsp of peanut butter was closer to 2.5 ... that's a lot of extra cals. Mayo can pack quite a few cals in a small space as well.

This is totally off track, but I wanted to say, it's actually easier to put the jar on the scale, tare the scale so it's zero, and then take out what you need, the scale will then say -10g or whatever. That way you just dirty the knife instead of a measuring spoon too.
  • Sued0nim
    Options

Get a digital scan, zero it out with the spoon on it, weigh it with the mayo, and then you'll know how much you're really getting.

This is totally off track, but I wanted to say, it's actually easier to put the jar on the scale, tare the scale so it's zero, and then take out what you need, the scale will then say -10g or whatever. That way you just dirty the knife instead of a measuring spoon too.

Actually it's much easier if you build your sandwich on a plate on the scale

Zeroing it before adding each ingredient

No need to be convoluted about it

Weigh bread ..log it ..take off one slice
    Zero it
    Spread butter ..log it
    Zero it
    Add bacon..log it
    Zero it
    Add tomato and lettuce ...log it
    Zero it
    Add mayo ..log it
    Top with bread ...done
  • SimoneBee12
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »

Actually it's much easier if you build your sandwich on a plate on the scale

Zeroing it before adding each ingredient

No need to be convoluted about it

Weigh bread ..log it ..take off one slice
    Zero it
    Spread butter ..log it
    Zero it
    Add bacon..log it
    Zero it
    Add tomato and lettuce ...log it
    Zero it
    Add mayo ..log it
    Top with bread ...done

I use to do that, but because of the size of my plate and the size of my scale, I could never see the actual display properly, so I do it with jars because they are so much smaller.
  • flatlndr
    Options

Agreed, this is a better way to do it. Thanks.
  • Sued0nim
    Options
    My scale is so old it doesn't do negatives

And I often have to squint under the plate :)
  • SaffronSunrise
    SaffronSunrise Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    I weigh as I'm building the sandwich or fixing my plate too. I bought a square plate which makes it easier to see the weights with the plate sitting on top. My scale won't weigh negatives, so if I'm going to weigh something from the jar, I just weigh the jar, take out what I want and subtract the ending number from the beginning number.
  • UltimateEscape
    UltimateEscape Posts: 95 Member
    Options

You can probably find the answers to your questions here:

This is the government website that everyone copies for food calorie and vitamin, nutrient and mineral counts.

Agricultural Research Service National Agricultural Library
    Welcome to the USDA National Nutrient Database for Standard Reference
    Start your search here.
    http://ndb.nal.usda.gov/

• Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    My scale is so old it doesn't do negatives

And I often have to squint under the plate :)

Haha same same. Sometimes I get a torch and shine it under the plate, while becoming a contortionist in my kitchen!
    I'm going to get one of those super duper scales where the number display pulls out.

• emiliebecause
    emiliebecause Posts: 63 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    or you can put a wide can or something on the scale and then the plate on top of that to make more room to see. :-)
  • purelyprimitives
    Options
    I've averaged my daily calories for the last 29 days to be 1250/day. Now, irrespective of whether this number is particularly accurate or not, it shows that eating this amount results in just maintaining my weight. Theoretically, I can set this number as my nominal TDEE and therefore, reducing this to around 1000 should result in weight-loss. My only concern now will be if there is a fine line between what's required to lose weight and maintaining a healthy diet.
  • WBB55
    WBB55 Posts: 4,131 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    Can you open your diary? Your theory is good, as in perhaps your 1250 is really 2050, so if you lowered to 1000 you'd really be eating 1640. But I hate to think you're NOT at least eating the 1640. Remind me, is the "1000" going to be "net" calories or total calories?