After only 3 weeks, I've dropped an entire pound!!! Woo Hoo!!

Options

Replies

• flatlndr
    flatlndr Posts: 713 Member
    Options
    There are other people on here your age or older who are losing weight just fine by doing the things that you are fighting doing. Maybe try doing things instead of researching excuses, i don't know.

That great for them. Not everyone is the same.
    You don't seem to want help, so I'm not sure why this thread continues.

I only returned to address some of the insults thrown at me. Yes, I've come to the realization that I will not be able to lose weight and I'm good with that. This really will be my last post.

Let's see, using the Scooby calculator for my height, my university age weight, and a variety of ages, I get the following maintenance calories for sedentary activity level:

• age 52: 2000 cals
    • age 65: 1900 cals

So, I can do two things.
    1. I can look at that list, say that it's inevitable that I'm going to get heavier, and just live with it (which is pretty much what I did for the last 15-20 years), or
    2. I can use those numbers, set my targets appropriately, up my activity level, and shed that accumulated fat (which is what I've been doing since Jan 2014 - have you seen my profile pic?)

The choice is yours ... I hope that when I'm 65 (and beyond), I continue to follow option 2, and not languish with option 1.
  • silken555
    silken555 Posts: 478 Member
    Options
    Not sure anyone mentioned this, but if you're using the scooby calculator, exercise is already calculated. So you can't then add exercises. It's an average so that's why you have to be as reasonable as possible when you select the type of activity level you have.

So basically, you either use the scooby info or MFP, not both together.

For the scooby, you would be modifying MFP's calorie entry to 2000 (let's say) and then ignoring anything doing with exercise entries.

For MFP, you'd be using the site's caloric intake, entering any actual exercise (not daily life stuff unless it was significantly different from your daily level) and eating back around 60-75% of those exercise cals back.

I'm including two pics to show you what I mean. These are for the 1lbs a week you mentioned...adjust your level of activity accordingly though because I don't know what your real levels are. I left them at deskjob for scooby and lightly active for MFP.

es0m258e586t.jpg
    lzlwabsoqv53.jpg

These are merely starting points though. Every person is different. This info is meant to be adjusted as you go if you don't see the results you're looking for after 3-4 weeks.

I cannot stress enough using the recipe builder. I weight everything solid once it's been prepared for cooking and before it gets cooked. On a proper food scale and I only use measuring cups for liquids. Once it's cooked, I portion out if it's for multiple meals or just eat it if it's for 1 meal. What the calories have become once the items are cooked is pretty much irrelevant.

There's a wealth of info in this thread.
  • purelyprimitives
    purelyprimitives Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I swore I wouldn't be back but here's Scooby's Calorie Calculator results based on just what you have shown but with only 3 meals a day (even though I only eat 2) instead of 6 -
    kv86fyebr87t.png

So after 5 YEARS of dieting I'll finally arrive at my goal of being.......obese???
    azn5jaebrmzq.png

• WBB55
    WBB55 Posts: 4,131 Member
    Options
    Everyone reading this thread -- except you -- understands that you're eating more than 1200 calories per day.
  • purelyprimitives
    Options
    The World's Most Accurate calculator above says I can eat 2057/day to lose 30 pounds in 5 years and I'll still be obese. Sounds like a great plan..... :)

Regardless, did you know that I haven't gained 1 pound in the last 10 months?? I bounced up or down a pound or two but I weight exactly what I did last October. And this, even though I've attended many holiday celebrations and birthdays where I definitely ate much more than my TDEE. How do you explain this?
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    The World's Most Accurate calculator above says I can eat 2057/day to lose 30 pounds in 5 years and I'll still be obese. Sounds like a great plan..... :)

Regardless, did you know that I haven't gained 1 pound in the last 10 months?? I bounced up or down a pound or two but I weight exactly what I did last October. And this, even though I've attended many holiday celebrations and birthdays where I definitely ate much more than my TDEE. How do you explain this?

You're eating at maintenance. Whether you're logging the calories or not, you are eating at maintenance.
  • purelyprimitives
    Options
    Maintenance for me, as silken555 shows above is 2300 cals/day. I eat 2 meals a day and one or two small snacks. We've been here before, and I refuse to believe that I'm off by 1000 calories a day. This just isn't happening. I'm not going to convince you and you are not going to convince me so we can just leave it at that.
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options
    I would love it if you could prove you really are that one special snowflake and actually went and had some metabolic testing done. Then you could come back and stick two fingers up. Or accept that science is good at scienceing and that no-one is such a special snowflake as to not lose on a 1000 per day calorie deficit, heck even at a 500 a day deficit!
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    Maintenance for me, as silken555 shows above is 2300 cals/day. I eat 2 meals a day and one or two small snacks. We've been here before, and I refuse to believe that I'm off by 1000 calories a day. This just isn't happening. I'm not going to convince you and you are not going to convince me so we can just leave it at that.

It is very easy to eat 1000 calories when you don't know it if you're not cooking and weighing

• WBB55
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »

It is very easy to eat 1000 calories when you don't know it if you're not cooking and weighing

Cosign. And this doesn't mean you're a bad person. It just means it's easy to not know and then get it wrong.
  • WBB55
    edited August 2015
    Options
    And just in case you missed it, I thought I'd repost this. Since it's my best advice until/unless you weigh food.

So back in the days when phones were dumb, I followed the ADA diet (even though I wasn't diabetic). Maybe that would help you. Instead of calories and weight, it uses cups and portions and "exchanges." Maybe that will be more manageable for you and you'll find better luck. You can find books on exchanges in the library and in bookstores. Some foods even include the exchanges on their nutrition label.
    glycemic.com/DiabeticExchange/The%20Diabetic%20Exchange%20List.pdf
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options

JSF.
  • jeffpettis
    jeffpettis Posts: 865 Member
    Options

But how long did it take you to get fat? Pretty sure you didn't wake up one morning, look in the mirror and say "HOLY $*!^! I gained 100 pounds overnight!"

Just because some calculator says that's how much you will lose doesn't mean that's all you CAN lose.

Oh and an even better, and easier, plan would be to keep whining and coming up with excuses instead of just doing it...

• jeffpettis
    jeffpettis Posts: 865 Member
    Options

Just because you refuse to believe something doesn't make it true for you. If you are not losing you are not in a deficit. Period.

It doesn't matter what the actual numbers are, the point is if you are maintaining your weight then you are eating at maintenance.

• flatlndr
    Options
    I swore I wouldn't be back but here's Scooby's Calorie Calculator results based on just what you have shown but with only 3 meals a day (even though I only eat 2) instead of 6 -
    kv86fyebr87t.png

So after 5 YEARS of dieting I'll finally arrive at my goal of being.......obese???
    azn5jaebrmzq.png

Right of the bottom of the Scooby graph, it says, in bold letters, "Note: When your weight drops by more than 5lbs (2kg) you must recalculate your numbers!"

So yes, if you didn't adjust your input as you drop weight, you would indeed plateau.

(Once again, you appear to be looking for reasons not to do this ... )
  • flatlndr
    Options

You're right ... the rest of us who have a) figured out how this works for ourselves, and b) have helped many others through it, don't have a clue what we're talking about. Here's your prize:

yfbse0bt4zbp.png
  • purelyprimitives
    Options
    Here's yet another 'excuse' for why I may not be losing weight:

"Beginning in middle age, men’s testosterone levels begin a steady decline, culminating in the so-called “andropause,” a state defined as partial androgen deficiency.19,20 On the same time-scale, men begin to gain weight as fat, and to lose lean muscle mass. It’s now abundantly clear that these two parallel processes are related—that is, the decline in testosterone levels is a direct cause of middle-aged men’s “battle of the bulge.”21 That’s a literal statement: age-associated testosterone decline is closely associated with deposition of deep abdominal fat, a component of the metabolic syndrome.22"

http://www.lifeextension.com/magazine/2010/10/low-testosterone-promotes-abdominal-obesity-aging-men/page-01

Flatlndr is only 15 years behind me and will ultimately find that it will become increasingly harder to keep the weight off unless he resorts to testosterone supplementation. It seems that everyone here has a myopic mindset that all bodies are identical and all respond to weight loss in the exact same way. Nothing could be further from the truth.....
  • MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    Options
    So instead you find 80 different excuses and assume they must all apply to you? That is more likely? Hey, keep telling yourself whatever you need to, in order to sleep at night. I do not believe for a second that you cannot procure a food scale. If you prefer to stay fat, just do it already. Plenty of excuses to keep you company along the way as you continue to NOT meet your health and fitness goals
  • silken555
    silken555 Posts: 478 Member
    Options
    The only myopic mindset I'm seeing is yours. You refuse to take the blinkers off and at least TRY something that has been suggested. Science applies to everyone. It may require an adjustment or two now and then...which we've all mentioned BTW...but for the most part it's CICO.

There are many health factors that can potentially affect metabolism. Unless you actually go out and get tested you'll never know if they contribute to your case. You can't just assume you have this or that. Until you choose to take that step and get tested rather than make assumptions, the proven way to lose weight is to accurately weigh/measure your food...you don't even have to exercise a drop! Just weigh solid food with a proper scale, use measuring cups for liquids, take the two minutes to properly build recipes and you will find out just how off your count is.

It really is that easy.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    Here's yet another 'excuse' for why I may not be losing weight:

"Beginning in middle age, men’s testosterone levels begin a steady decline, culminating in the so-called “andropause,” a state defined as partial androgen deficiency.19,20 On the same time-scale, men begin to gain weight as fat, and to lose lean muscle mass. It’s now abundantly clear that these two parallel processes are related—that is, the decline in testosterone levels is a direct cause of middle-aged men’s “battle of the bulge.”21 That’s a literal statement: age-associated testosterone decline is closely associated with deposition of deep abdominal fat, a component of the metabolic syndrome.22"

http://www.lifeextension.com/magazine/2010/10/low-testosterone-promotes-abdominal-obesity-aging-men/page-01

Flatlndr is only 15 years behind me and will ultimately find that it will become increasingly harder to keep the weight off unless he resorts to testosterone supplementation. It seems that everyone here has a myopic mindset that all bodies are identical and all respond to weight loss in the exact same way. Nothing could be further from the truth.....

That's a total bastardisation of the facts

Visceral fat increases as we age - true

Our TDEE decreases as we age due to less active lifestyles (so move more) and loss of muscle (so lift heavy)

But it boiled down to calorie consumption and you're eating too much

So what if it is harder at 70 than 50 - you just have to use your ornery stubbornness to work with what you've got

You're telling yourself it's ok and you're living an old mans life as a result and risking your later years being less healthy than they might be ...just because you are too lazy to fix yourself

I told myself I'd prefer to go kicking and screaming into old age and I'm going to try to emulate my amazing parents and be fit in my 80s and 90s

You are finding every half-baked excuse under the sun

Yes it's harder at 69 than at 29 ...so what ? If you keep your attitude you stay fat.

You're really far too old to be acting like a child