Treadmill or elliptical?

Options
2»

Replies

• 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    The calorie burn will depend on your weight, duration and intensity. Notwithstanding your weight will be wherever it is and your intensity will be the same, then you are going to burn more on the piece of equipment you use the most i.e the one you enjoy the most. Try them at the gym.

My choice would be a concept 2 rower, even 2nd hand they keep their value so you could resell easily and they are reliable. Its worth considering.

Notwisthanding mr jeremywm1977 edict. ps over medium to long term then hiit is unlikely to burn more calories. Strength does not burn more calories. hate away dude.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,166 Member
    Options
    999tigger wrote: »

My choice would be a concept 2 rower, even 2nd hand they keep their value so you could resell easily and they are reliable. Its worth considering.

Yeah, that, assuming you learn to use it correctly (the Concept 2 web site helps). Uses more body parts than either elliptical or treadmill.
  • italysharon
    italysharon Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    We ended up buying a treadmill because you can fold it up, which is a big perk. The elipticals that I have seen take up a huge amount of room. My husband and I are big runners but this is always our 'Plan B' because neither of us particularly like running on the dreadmill. But with kids, hot, hot summers and seriously snowy winters it has saved me from turning into a ball of jello. Good luck!
  • dancingj2
    dancingj2 Posts: 4,572 Member
    Options
    I have both and I find I use the treadmill much more than the elliptical. The treadmill seems to give me a better work out and a better burn. The elliptical motion seems weird at times. However the elliptical never bothers my knee.

If I had to pick one it would def be the treadmill.

Whichever you choose, def put a TV in front of it. That does more for getting my work out in than anything else.
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,483 Member
    Options
    Going for the non option - rowing machine.
    More technical, yes, but also a much better work out. If I was going to get a piece of equipment in my home, that would be my choice.

Cheers, h.
    Of to check the price on the local used sites.
  • rileyes
    rileyes Posts: 1,404 Member
    Options
    I am preferring my elliptical over my treadmill for training lately. I like the low impact as a relief from my high impact days. I also like that I have to push hard to at an increased resistance. It just feels like I am working my muscles more while getting in my cardio.

My climate allows me to run outside year round. But it is nice to set the treadmill on a challenge setting (I think of it as a coach) making me run harder to keep the pace (or not fall off).

In my case, if I had to choose one over the other, elliptical would be my choice (at the moment). My model fits my stride perfectly. There are many models out there that are awkward so it is wise to try them out before buying.
  • rileyes
    rileyes Posts: 1,404 Member
    Options
    I have a Water Rower too. It sprung a leak so it's up against the wall mother *kitten*. I also would consider a Concept rower as an alternative to a treadmill or elliptical. But, I think if you are sitting all day, you may want to be on your feet when exercising. I used my rower more in circuits than on its own.
  • gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,598 Member
    Options
    I have decided that I like the elliptical better because there's no impact to my knees. I also use my arms on it, but not on the treadmill. Are those factors for you?
  • gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,598 Member
    Options
    auddii wrote: »
    DavPul wrote: »
    I choose death

I choose cake.

But you can have both. cake now. death later :D
  • christineja
    christineja Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Everyone says ellipticals are low-impact and therefore better for your knees, but they make mine hurt. I love my treadmill. It's over 100 where I am so I'm all about the a/c and tv is a huge plus. I get hooked on a series and off I go. I mix up inclines and speeds so I feel like I get a good workout.
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    gothchiq wrote: »
    auddii wrote: »
    DavPul wrote: »
    I choose death

I choose cake.

But you can have both. cake now. death later :D

Church of England does not allow for both; it's one or the other.
  • hmrambling
    hmrambling Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    The calories burned on the elliptical machine are grossly overestimated, some as much as 40%. I take that into consideration before I get on an elliptical. When I get off the elliptical, I log only half of the calories that are displayed on the elliptical machine.

When I want to run but the weather is bad, I get on the treadmill.

When I want a low impact workout, I get on the elliptical.

Both have their own advantages.