I called oatmeal cookies unhealthy and I got blasted - why?

Options
I stated they had butter, white sugar, flour, chocolate chips, ect.
I consider all these things unhealthy.
But a couple of people say everything is healthy.
Is my wording wrong?
What would be unhealthy to those people in a cookie?

BTW - I like to eat in volumes.
I have never been able to do portion control in my entire life.
Oatmeal is a food I can eat and be full and be happy without guilt.

Replies

• maasha81
    maasha81 Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    Depends on the recipe ...there's oatmeal cookies made with mashed ripe bananas or applesauce. Never tasted it to compare with 'regular' oatmeal cookies
  • melimomTARDIS
    melimomTARDIS Posts: 1,941 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    its hard to single out foods as being bad, its the overall diet that matters. I let my kids eat cookies and milk nearly every day for snacktime, and they are both quite healthy.

added- not homemade cookies either. Like chips ahoy, oreos, or little debbie oatmeal cream pies.
  • Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    Options
    What is unhealthy about butter, white sugar, and flour?
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    Cookies are fine as long as you aren't eating like ten at a time. That would be unhealthy by cutting into your calories/macros.
  • MommyL2015
    MommyL2015 Posts: 1,411 Member
    Options
    Butter, white sugar, flour, chocolate chips--sounds like a pretty yummy cookie, if you ask me. Eating 10 of them, maybe not so healthy. One or two, absolutely nothing wrong with that at all.
  • mwyvr
    mwyvr Posts: 1,883 Member
    Options
    Oatmeal cookies as a large percentage of your daily diet: unhealthy.
    An oatmeal cooking as an occasional treat in a calorie reduced deficit diet? No problem.
  • techgal128
    techgal128 Posts: 719 Member
    Options
    The only way cookies are "unhealthy" is if you eat 5 pounds of them.
  • psych101
    psych101 Posts: 1,842 Member
    Options
    oh man they sound delicious - where do I sign up???

• quiltlovinlisa
    quiltlovinlisa Posts: 1,710 Member
    Options
    I love oatmeal cookies.
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    Homemade oatmeal cookies made with molasses,butter and raisins are awesome. Just ask my peeps!
  • andympanda
    andympanda Posts: 763 Member
    Options
    Do you have allergies that would cause health problems with any of the ingredients?
  • Jennloella
    Jennloella Posts: 2,287 Member
    Options
    add some maple and bacon.
  • MsJulesRenee
    MsJulesRenee Posts: 1,180 Member
    Options
    One cookie, healthy. The whole batch, unhealthy.
  • mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Options
    I stated they had butter, white sugar, flour, chocolate chips, ect.
    I consider all these things unhealthy.
    But a couple of people say everything is healthy.
    Is my wording wrong?
    What would be unhealthy to those people in a cookie?

BTW - I like to eat in volumes.
    I have never been able to do portion control in my entire life.
    Oatmeal is a food I can eat and be full and be happy without guilt.

Those aren't the same thing.
  • EmmaFitzwilliam
    EmmaFitzwilliam Posts: 482 Member
    Options
    My guess would be that others chafed at the judgmental nature of the comment. I don't consider butter "unhealthy". It's energy dense, and it's nutrient trade-off is negligible, but "nutrient dense" is not the only metric for personal assessments about food choices.

Butter, sugar, white flour, and chocolate chips may not work for you, but nobody other than myself and possibly my doctor and/or my nutritionist gets to play "food cop" and pass judgment on my choices.
  • gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,598 Member
    Options
    MFP has a... thing about this. I have never seen a diet and fitness site like this before. People get criticized for avoiding excess sugar, junk food, highly processed items, etc. I may very occasionally permit myself such an item, but I'm not going to pretend it's *healthy* AKA high in nutrients, because it isn't! Folks will equate the "processing" of placing fruit or vegetables in a bag with the processing of mashing things to a pulp, adding a ton of preservatives, artificial flavors and salt, and frying it. To avoid criticism, the only thing to do is to eat healthy for your own sake but never mention it anywhere but on your own home page. *smh*
  • Patttience
    Patttience Posts: 975 Member
    Options
    Well of course they are not unhealthy in themselves if you only eat one. But if they are a big and frequent part of your life they are a problem. Still i would not call them healthy but healthier than some other options perhaps.

I would ignore who ever blasted you.
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10235906/healhty-oatmeal-cookies-no-such-thing

I would hardly call the answers in your other thread "getting blasted." It looks like people were asking for clarification on your goals and more specific details about you wanted. But if you want to know what those particular posters were thinking, it might be better to ask in your previous thread where they're more likely to see the question.
  • mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Options
    gothchiq wrote: »
    MFP has a... thing about this. I have never seen a diet and fitness site like this before. People get criticized for avoiding excess sugar, junk food, highly processed items, etc. I may very occasionally permit myself such an item, but I'm not going to pretend it's *healthy* AKA high in nutrients, because it isn't! Folks will equate the "processing" of placing fruit or vegetables in a bag with the processing of mashing things to a pulp, adding a ton of preservatives, artificial flavors and salt, and frying it. To avoid criticism, the only thing to do is to eat healthy for your own sake but never mention it anywhere but on your own home page. *smh*

I think this is inaccurate. What's happening is this: labeling food as junk, and jumping on terms like processed. People get a little too excited about those type of things. Food like ice cream and pizza get labeled as 'junk' while containing ingredients that should not put them into that category. Even potato chips get called 'junk' while being made of potatoes, oil, and salt.
    Processing gets a bad rap, but pasteurizing is a process, and without it, we'd not have safe milk to drink. Frozen vegetables are processed. So is whole grain bread.