I called oatmeal cookies unhealthy and I got blasted - why?

Options

Replies

• extra_medium
    extra_medium Posts: 1,525 Member
    Options
    gothchiq wrote: »
    MFP has a... thing about this. I have never seen a diet and fitness site like this before. People get criticized for avoiding excess sugar, junk food, highly processed items, etc. I may very occasionally permit myself such an item, but I'm not going to pretend it's *healthy* AKA high in nutrients, because it isn't! Folks will equate the "processing" of placing fruit or vegetables in a bag with the processing of mashing things to a pulp, adding a ton of preservatives, artificial flavors and salt, and frying it. To avoid criticism, the only thing to do is to eat healthy for your own sake but never mention it anywhere but on your own home page. *smh*

It is because this site is mostly about not labeling anything non-poisonous as "unhealthy" and learning to enjoy things in moderation, and understanding the CICO concept for weight loss. People are not criticized for avoiding excess anything. The key word is excess though.
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options
    The best thing to make with oats? Oat flour shortbread. I have celiac disease and was missing shortbread, and I did some research and discovered that original shortbread was likely made with oats in the first place. I use good grass fed butter and raw sugar to make this and everyone who's ever had it prefers it to wheat shortbread.

Oat flour, butter, sugar. So good.

One cookie, part of a healthy overall diet. The point was made earlier and it bears repeating... all foods provide nutrition. Cookies can be dense sources of fat or readily available energy (good for active people like myself), ice cream has protein, etc. Treats aren't nutritionally void.

This isn't to say they are the most nutritionally dense items you can eat. They probably provide less in the way of micronutrients, but that is why context matters and you can't judge foods without looking at the whole diet. A diet rich in nutrient-dense food can handle some food that's not as nutrient-dense. It's not that big a deal.

I look at it this way. I like eggplant. It's not the most nutritious vegetable out there, but I still eat it. I doubt many of the healthy eating types would have issue with people who choose lower nutrient vegetables like eggplant or celery in their diets.

Not every bite has to be a superfood.
  • MsJulesRenee
    MsJulesRenee Posts: 1,180 Member
    Options
    MFP has a... thing about this. I have never seen a diet and fitness site like this before. People get criticized for avoiding excess sugar, junk food, highly processed items, etc. I may very occasionally permit myself such an item, but I'm not going to pretend it's *healthy* AKA high in nutrients, because it isn't! Folks will equate the "processing" of placing fruit or vegetables in a bag with the processing of mashing things to a pulp, adding a ton of preservatives, artificial flavors and salt, and frying it. To avoid criticism, the only thing to do is to eat healthy for your own sake but never mention it anywhere but on your own home page. *smh*

What a bummer to not enjoy a simple cookie :( Maybe find a website that advocates "healthy" eating instead so you can be yourself? Although I'm sure there won't be as many long term success stories there, it is not a long term solution for most people.
  • RockstarWilson
    RockstarWilson Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    techgal128 wrote: »
    The only way cookies are "unhealthy" is if you eat 5 pounds of them.

"Challenge accepted!"
  • mwyvr
    mwyvr Posts: 1,883 Member
    Options
    These semantic debates are rarely interesting.
  • KittensMaster
    KittensMaster Posts: 748 Member
    Options

Exactly how I see many on MFP

Just learn to ignore them.

The conversations defending eating those junk foods just don't happen at the gym.

• kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,950 Member
    Options

You're right. It's mind-boggling.

• RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    I stated they had butter, white sugar, flour, chocolate chips, ect.
    I consider all these things unhealthy.
    But a couple of people say everything is healthy.
    Is my wording wrong?
    What would be unhealthy to those people in a cookie?

BTW - I like to eat in volumes.
    I have never been able to do portion control in my entire life.
    Oatmeal is a food I can eat and be full and be happy without guilt.

People here are trying to understand each other.

Maybe next time say "low calorie."

Here is a low calorie recipe for Baked Oatmeal.
    http://www.jillianskitchen.com/2011/11/14/baked-oatmeal/

• kshama2001
    Options
    Is my wording wrong?

As you add things to oatmeal to make it cookie-like, it will become less feasible to eat it in volume.

Nevertheless, here are two recipes for portable treats that I enjoy which contain oats, but not butter, white sugar, or flour, and you could replace the chocolate chips in the second recipe with raisins.

https://blog.myfitnesspal.com/no-bake-peanut-butter-granola-bars/
    https://blog.myfitnesspal.com/chocolate-peanut-butter-bites/

If you want to eat oats in volume without guilt, how about oatmeal with strawberries? Of course, this is less portable.
  • kshama2001
    Options
    Caitwn wrote: »
    It's just a teensy bit dramatic to say that the responses in that thread "blasted" you. I'm still looking for evidence of that. Maybe the abusive posts were deleted...

In the meantime, putting foods like oatmeal cookies into "good"/"bad" boxes within the context of a balanced diet doesn't make sense to me. But no cookie-type item, regardless of whether it's made like a traditional oatmeal cookie or the unspeakable aberrations made with bananas is something that would be a reasonable snack item for a person who identifies as a volume eater.

As another poster pointed out, oatmeal cookie recipes and the question of how to deal with snacks that may be appropriate for volume eaters are two different things. Maybe look for oatmeal recipes that emphasize savory rather than sweet?

I shudder at the thought of desecrating a oatmeal cookie with bananas, but since the thread already was established with an overload of drama, I shall keep my utter horror to myself. I make mine with a lot of brown sugar, butter, and vanilla..and occasionally include coconut flakes instead of raisins (so moist!) and bake them with a tablespoon of apricot preserves in the center. But they're not the kind of thing I'd keep handy as a regular snack.

If you wrote a blog, I'd subscribe ;)

• kshama2001
    Options
    RodaRose wrote: »
    Is my wording wrong?

...Here is a low calorie recipe for Baked Oatmeal.
    http://www.jillianskitchen.com/2011/11/14/baked-oatmeal/

Ooooo! I'm going to try that when it cools down enough to use the oven again!

• mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    Is my wording wrong?

As you add things to oatmeal to make it cookie-like, it will become less feasible to eat it in volume.

Nevertheless, here are two recipes for portable treats that I enjoy which contain oats, but not butter, white sugar, or flour, and you could replace the chocolate chips in the second recipe with raisins.

https://blog.myfitnesspal.com/no-bake-peanut-butter-granola-bars/
    https://blog.myfitnesspal.com/chocolate-peanut-butter-bites/

If you want to eat oats in volume without guilt, how about oatmeal with strawberries? Of course, this is less portable.

There are things I like to eat in volume, but I am finding myself with some questions regarding oatmeal and the idea of it as a choice as a volume food. Oatmeal is a dense food, and tends to fill up most people fairly quickly. Especially as it tends to expand as it takes on liquid. Whatever is added to it can be what makes it more calorie laden.
    Oatmeal cookies are delicious, but cookies are something I don't eat in volume because desserts are eaten in small portions to fit them into the calorie goal for the day.
  • 970Mikaela1
    970Mikaela1 Posts: 2,013 Member
    Options
    techgal128 wrote: »
    The only way cookies are "unhealthy" is if you eat 5 pounds of them.

"Challenge accepted!"

AND GO!!

Done.
  • zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,089 Member
    Options
    Caitwn wrote: »
    It's just a teensy bit dramatic to say that the responses in that thread "blasted" you. I'm still looking for evidence of that. Maybe the abusive posts were deleted...

In the meantime, putting foods like oatmeal cookies into "good"/"bad" boxes within the context of a balanced diet doesn't make sense to me. But no cookie-type item, regardless of whether it's made like a traditional oatmeal cookie or the unspeakable aberrations made with bananas is something that would be a reasonable snack item for a person who identifies as a volume eater.

As another poster pointed out, oatmeal cookie recipes and the question of how to deal with snacks that may be appropriate for volume eaters are two different things. Maybe look for oatmeal recipes that emphasize savory rather than sweet?

I shudder at the thought of desecrating a oatmeal cookie with bananas, but since the thread already was established with an overload of drama, I shall keep my utter horror to myself. I make mine with a lot of brown sugar, butter, and vanilla...and occasionally include coconut flakes instead of raisins (so moist!) and bake them with a tablespoon of apricot preserves in the center. But they're not the kind of thing I'd keep handy as a regular snack.

Nothing was deleted from her other thread. Its exactly as it was.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    I'm not going to pretend it's *healthy* AKA high in nutrients, because it isn't!

People don't say it is. They ask why not being nutrient dense makes something "unhealthy" -- i.e., something that harms you or does not belong in a healthy diet.
    Folks will equate the "processing" of placing fruit or vegetables in a bag with the processing of mashing things to a pulp, adding a ton of preservatives, artificial flavors and salt, and frying it.

This is an interesting misunderstanding. Speaking for myself, the reason I make the point that dried pasta or greek yogurt or canned tomatoes are processed is NOT because I think all processed foods are the same, but because they are not. It makes no sense to me to blanket condemn all "processed" foods or say that a healthy diet should generally avoid them. Are there processed foods that I avoid or eat in small quantities? Sure, and same for non processed foods. I just don't think "processed" should be used as if it meant "bad." There are many, many processed foods that can be quite helpful to people.

I have no idea what the fried mashed thing is. Most of that could probably be done at home, though, and wouldn't make the item more nutrient dense or lower calorie or avoid the issues one might have with the oils commonly used for frying.
  • ohmscheeks
    ohmscheeks Posts: 840 Member
    Options
    +1
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »

Oats just aren't that low in calories, depending on the volume she means. I have it for breakfast (steel cut with berries, no sugar) quite often. If I were into volume it would be more caloric than is appropriate for my liking. (Of course, I eat other things with it since I need my breakfast to have protein and vegetables.)
  • 970Mikaela1
    970Mikaela1 Posts: 2,013 Member
    Options
    There is protein , carbs , and fat in this cookie, right? And it's different from the protein, fat , and carbs in some organic something or other? Or am I mistaken? Or do I just believe something that is wrong?
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    It's not unhealthy because I have a balanced diet and don't eat cookies for breakfast, lunch and dinner. So if I'm going to get a bit of protein, carbs, and fat from a cookie here or there-that's healthy. And it's a healthy lifestyle and relationship with food.