Replies

• askme12
    askme12 Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    No it doesn't.
  • quandrie
    quandrie Posts: 4
    Options
    No it definitely should not be counted as water. Although it says diet and you think you might be losing weight and staying healthy drinking it, you are doing your body more harm. Think of all that sodium and artificial ingredients you are putting in your body. Basically sucralose and aspartame are like perservative. Think of it as drinking formaldehyde...aim for 1/2 your body weight in ounces of water. So a 200 pound person should aim for around 100 ounces of water a day.
  • azlady7
    azlady7 Posts: 471 Member
    Options
    first off, tea and dark sodas are a diaretic...meaning they dehydrate you...the opposite of water. second, the sugar in koolaide? you might as well drink reg soda. third, the carbonation in diet and reg soda will hurt your bones over time especially for females causing osteprosis (sp?). so um no...
  • breezymom81
    breezymom81 Posts: 499 Member
    Options
    Yes. It's 99.9% water so it should definitely count. Weight Watchers' official position is that any liquid water should be counted towards your water intake.
    [/quote\]

One reason WW is not a long term weight solution.... Water is Water, soda is soda and kool-aide is kool-aide
  • Gretchen27
    Gretchen27 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    I drank so much diet soda after I had my first baby and didn't eat much, I gained more weight in that year then I did when I was carrying my baby. I deff would not use diet soda in your water count. Anything that contains Carmel color, diet reg whatever, is not good for U and the sodium adds up faster than a person would think.
  • JMJohnson1005
    JMJohnson1005 Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    Really? What makes people think to even ask a question like this?
  • dimoul
    dimoul Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    I count the several caffeinated ones I drink every day and I don't have cancer, and as far as I can tell, I'm not a toxic waste dump. And I've been losing weight like crazy. I might drop diet soda and/or caffeine later, but there's some stuff I don't have to give up right now to get to my goal weight. Once I reach my goal weight and maintain it for a while, I'll start down the list of other stuff to give up.
  • sovokit
    sovokit Posts: 9
    Options
    Please stop drinking diet soda!

What Is Aspartame Made Of?
    Aspartic Acid (40 percent of Aspartame)
    Aspartate and acts as neurotransmitter in the brain by facilitating the transmission of information from neuron to neuron. Too much aspartate in the brain kills certain neurons by allowing the influx of too much calcium into the cells. This influx triggers excessive amounts of free radicals, which kill the cells. The neural cell damage that can be caused by excessive aspartate is why it is referred to as an "excitotoxin." It "excites" or stimulates the neural cells to death.

Phenylalanine (50 percent of aspartame)
    Phenylalanine is an amino acid normally found in the brain. Persons with the genetic disorder phenylketonuria (PKU) cannot metabolize phenylalanine. This leads to dangerously high levels of phenylalanine in the brain (sometimes lethal).
    One account of a case of extremely high phenylalanine levels caused by aspartame was recently published the "Wednesday Journal" in an article titled "An Aspartame Nightmare." John Cook began drinking six to eight diet drinks every day. His symptoms started out as memory loss and frequent headaches. He began to crave more aspartame-sweetened drinks. His condition deteriorated so much that he experienced wide mood swings and violent rages. Even though he did not suffer from PKU, a blood test revealed a phenylalanine level of 80 mg/dl. He also showed abnormal brain function and brain damage. After he kicked his aspartame habit, his symptoms improved dramatically.

Methanol (aka wood alcohol/poison) (10 percent of aspartame)
    Methanol breaks down into formic acid and formaldehyde in the body. Formaldehyde is a deadly neurotoxin. An EPA assessment of methanol states that methanol "is considered a cumulative poison due to the low rate of excretion once it is absorbed. In the body, methanol is oxidized to formaldehyde and formic acid; both of these metabolites are toxic." They recommend a limit of consumption of 7.8 mg/day. A one-liter (approx. 1 quart) aspartame-sweetened beverage contains about 56 mg of methanol. Heavy users of aspartame-containing products consume as much as 250 mg of methanol daily or 32 times the EPA limit.
  • milaxx
    milaxx Posts: 1,122 Member
    Options
    I drink about 3 diet sodas a day.........can any of them count as water cosumed? Also, what about sugar free kool aid/ tea???

Sodas aren't water. They don't count to your water consumption.

Many people do use the moo, crystal lite, etc... You can count them as water but you also need to account for the packet of additives. Usually not a lot of calories, I don't drink them so I don't know if they contain sodium. I would try reducing the amount of soda (honestly I don't drink the stuff) by adding fresh mint, ginger, cucumbers, lemons, or limes to your water.
  • milaxx
    Options
    Really? What makes people think to even ask a question like this?
    some people honestly don't know better. It helps to be a little more compassionate to those who are asking genuine questions. I personally don't think anyone should drink soda, but that's not my job to judge. Try giving helpful suggestions.
  • DeathIsMyGift
    DeathIsMyGift Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    Yes.
  • ffrowning
    ffrowning Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I would like to thank you for that info it does help me im a diet soda holic
  • milaxx
    Options
    Yes. It's 99.9% water so it should definitely count. Weight Watchers' official position is that any liquid water should be counted towards your water intake.
    the hell?? When did WW turn into this? That's some crazy talk right there.:noway:
  • Acome48027
    Acome48027 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Yes it should count as water, plus caffeine, plus sodium. According to all these folks, I suppose carbonated water isn't water either. As far as the toxins logic - that is just foolishness. I suppose vegetables fertilized with chemicals from Dow should count as toxins rather than vegetables. Oh I forgot, CO2 is a toxin according to the EPA, so carbonated water is a toxin as well.
  • JMCade
    JMCade Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    NO! Sorry, but only water counts as water.
  • PlanetVelma
    PlanetVelma Posts: 1,231 Member
    Options
    the hell?? When did WW turn into this? That's some crazy talk right there.:noway:

I was in WW a long while back and i don't remember them saying that soda = water, I do remember they encouraged participants to drink diet soda versus reg soda, etc...

I gave up diet soda because I don't drink enough water. I'm trying to get to where I drink 120 oz of water per day. :)
  • Satya_Ayurveda
    Satya_Ayurveda Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    Yes it should count as water, plus caffeine, plus sodium. According to all these folks, I suppose carbonated water isn't water either. As far as the toxins logic - that is just foolishness. I suppose vegetables fertilized with chemicals from Dow should count as toxins rather than vegetables. Oh I forgot, CO2 is a toxin according to the EPA, so carbonated water is a toxin as well.

Hmmm, ingredients include coloring which is petroleum based, aspartame, phosphoric acid, potassium benzoate which are preservatives, caffeine, citric acid, unknown source of coloring and phenylketonurics. The aforementioned poster... you are mixing apples and oranges in your statement. I have a background in healthcare and have seen quite a bit...
  • JessesGirl05
    JessesGirl05 Posts: 253
    Options
    I personally wouldn't count any of them. Water is meant to cleanse your body of toxins, all of those are putting toxins in.
    This.
  • AggieCass09
    AggieCass09 Posts: 1,867 Member
    Options

the new program doesnt count veggies or fruits either....no calories there of course (highly sarcastic)
  • SLaw4215
    SLaw4215 Posts: 596 Member
    Options
    I always count my water with Crystal Light as water but I don't count Diet Coke or morning coffee as water. (my 2 cents)