Is a 36 hour fast a good idea for a chronic binger?

Options
2»

Replies

• Ayeshat
    Ayeshat Posts: 209
    Options
    I'm thinking 36 hours is a long time to not eat and if you binge regularly, i'm kinda worried that when you get seriously hungry it could just go that way again... instead of something so extreme why not something like a fruit and veg detox for that amount of time where you just eat fruit and vegetables, roasted/ in juices/ smoothies etc?
  • AllAboutThatTreble
    AllAboutThatTreble Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    Please don't do it. As others have said, using one extreme behavior to compensate for another is NOT healthy, physically or emotionally.

In fact, if done often enough, it fits the criteria for bulimia nervosa, non-purging type.

I don't know you, but just from reading your post it seems like you have a really unhealthy relationship with food and I'd suggest seeing a professional if you can, it may be the best thing you do for yourself.

But yeah, please don't do it.
  • AnabolicKyle
    AnabolicKyle Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    No expert, but I would say no. You'd be substituting one extreme behavior for another when it sounds as if you need to learn moderation.

/thread
  • meeper123
    meeper123 Posts: 3,347 Member
    Options
    Skip the fast and hit the gym it will make you feel better
  • OneDimSim
    OneDimSim Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    IMHO - No - starving yourself leads to more binging and being obsessed with food (of course you are - you are really hungry!)- concentrate on allowing yourself adequate amounts of healthy food to "crowd out" the bad stuff - you have to try to normalize your relationship with food! Not be completely hot or cold.

I speak from experience - in my younger years i would go from 500 calories per day to eating a sleeve of cookies - not good!
  • kitigonkukoo
    kitigonkukoo Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    No, nope- no way. I agree with the other responses pertaining to the mental set back binges cause... your body needs consistancy, not going from one extreme to the other. One doesn't balance the other out- your body needs nutrients every day.

That said, up to 24 hours shouldn't hurt you physically if you go into it with a good diet and eating habits, and come out the same way. Fasting for all the wrong reasons is not a good set up.

As other replies state, probably best to sort out the binging habits and frustration that surrounds it- try setting an alarm on your phone to eat something small every 3-4 hours.

I USED to binge. I can honestly say I don't do it anymore. Ever. That was hard for me, but I actually used exercise as a tool there, because if I binged, I would head to the gym and walk as long as it took to burn off the calories I ate in excess of my daily target.
    Doing that made me VERY concious of how many calories I was taking in, and made it easier to stop eating... because after a while I'd think "oh crap... if I finish this, I'll have to walk for at least XX minutes...." and if I was tired, or didn't have the time, I learned to just stop overeating.

I'm sure that doesn't work for everyone, and I NEVER "punished" myself by buring more calories than I needed to get back to where I was supposed to be... exercise should always be fun, but can be used as a tool. :flowerforyou:
  • Infauna
    Infauna Posts: 89
    Options
    I think that fasting after a binge will just reinforce your unhealthy relationship with food. Counselling might help.
  • bumblebums
    bumblebums Posts: 2,181 Member
    Options
    No. Fasting is one of the symptoms of BED.

Here is an interesting article about overcoming binge eating disorder by a woman who managed to beat it:

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/02/20/health/20brod.html?pagewanted=all&_r=0
  • Emtabo01
    Emtabo01 Posts: 672
    Options
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/forums/show/12145-50-day-binge-free-challenge

There's a 50 day binge free challenge group, just another way to help keep you accountable, we're all on different days.
  • ThisGirl2013
    ThisGirl2013 Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    No expert, but I would say no. You'd be substituting one extreme behavior for another when it sounds as if you need to learn moderation.

IF can help with mindless eating, but I'd try one of the forms in which you eat every day and I'd ease into it.

I actually LEARNED moderation in doing this. I only fasted for a meal here and there, then for one day, until I learned moderation. I agree as far as extreme - binging followed by extreme fasting would probably not be a good idea, but take a day off, not 36 hours. Or, try a meal here or there until you feel ready for an entire day.. I need tough love so that is why that worked for me but everyone is different.
  • westmacottr
    westmacottr Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I know everyone has a negative opinion on this. I also binge eat, I am fasting now because of a huge binge last night.
  • LokiDokiArtichoki
    LokiDokiArtichoki Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Ha ha ha... No. Nope. No.. No. I've struggled with binge eating for 2 1/2 years so I would not recommend, from my own experiences.
  • derekspiewak
    derekspiewak Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Fasting is, in general, a really bad idea, and I'm worried you might be using it to justify binge eating. Binging is never good for you, no matter how long you fast afterward.

You need to learn how to eat just enough to fuel yourself and then stop. Binging and fasting don't help with this.