How do you deal with unsupportive friends/family?

Options
My soon to be mother in law says she supports our choice to be vegan and not eat meat, but, we aren't vegan and we never stopped eating chicken and turkey. Clearly she has a hearing problem as we have said this a million times. Her and I kind of got in an argument yesterday and the way she said she respected our eating habits, made it clear that us eating healthy is an inconvenience to her. I don't know why, we don't force our lifestyle on anyone. I sometimes think she's mad because all she eats is boxed and packaged (center aisle) foods and we don't. We don't go to her house often and when we do, she is shoving her dinners down our throats. We can't go there without her asking a million times "What do you want for dinner?" She loves having us over for dinner. I am sure there is a reason why this bothers her, there has to be. But really, it pisses me off to think of someone actually being mad that you are bettering your life and health by eating healthy. How can we talk to her? Figure out what her deal is? Thank you for any help.

Replies

• dubird
    dubird Posts: 1,849 Member
    Options
    Honestly? You're probably not going to change her mind about food. A lot of people associate gatherings and food, food being something that brings people together. If she asks you what you want for dinner when you go over there, give her some options and enjoy what she makes. You may have to do some adjusting to fit it into your calories for the day, but if you limit your portions, you should be ok.

Only suggestion I have is to be firm with your choices. You might also try inviting her over to your house and cooking for her. If she sees that what you're eating is fairly normal, she might back down some.
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options
    You think too much. Try talking to her and leave her a sign saying you are fine eating piultry and its just red meat youve decided not to eat. If she cant respect that then ignore her or smile and passively ignore her or order in or go out and eat. I deal with difficult people all the time and if you wnat to tackle it head on , then listen but be firm and clear so it gets through and they have less wiggle room.

It sounds as though its about much more than your lifesyle choices but a bit of a power struggle. If you wnat to sort it out then do it properly or ignore, dont be cayfht in the middle stressing out and wasting energy.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    This is a bit of a head scratcher. I'm not sure why this is so upsetting.

Your MIL thinks you are vegan. How is that hurting you?

You visit your MIL and she asks you what you'd like for dinner. How is that hurting you?
  • TerriK14
    TerriK14 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Some people just don't listen and understand. When I started my new life style 3 yrs ago, my family was on board and asked before I came over what was good for me to have. Well after about a year, except for my mom, everyone stopped caring. I just went on and made sure I brought my own food from then on. They sometimes would say "oh yeah I forgot you can't have this" I could in moderation, but I didn't want it. People don't want you to change, they have to feel like they have to eat different or accommodate your needs if they don't like it. Just stick to being you and do what is right for your family. Maybe plan to make a meal at her house and show her what good food can taste like. Get her involved and maybe? it will help???? Just explain that this is the way you chose to eat and you don't want to hurt her feelings but her style of dinner does not work for you and your family.
  • jaclynxanne
    jaclynxanne Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I completely understand where your coming from!!!! I've been eating healthier for about three weeks now and I live with my boyfriend at his mothers house. She is already a two-faced drama starting person that I don't like, but on top of that she orders out all the time...as soon as I decide to eat healthier and portion my food she has to start making comments about me " carrying around measuring cups". I don't understand why it's such a big deal that she has to make comments about it, we buy all our own food so it's not like I'm making things difficult for her. I just can't stand it because people like her are the reason so many of us get discouraged from trying to be healthier in the first place. So hakuna matata and keep your head up
  • Zombella
    Zombella Posts: 490 Member
    Options
    Is she one of those people who act like everything that you do is somehow against her? I would just tell her you aren't eating whatever junk she wants you to, explain why again once and that is that. If she is upset you can have her over and have her eat what you eat.
  • rosebarnalice
    rosebarnalice Posts: 3,488 Member
    Options
    Smile your best daughter in law smile, say "thank you so much for respecting our choices!" And then shut up. And then tell your husband to grow a pair and deal with his own mother.
  • MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    Options
    Gotta say I cracked up pretty good at the "hearing issues" :laugh:

I don't get some things either, though. Do you prefer to not eat at all when you visit with her? How about your fiancé?
  • gaelicstorm26
    gaelicstorm26 Posts: 589 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure that I understand why you are so upset.

My mother and my MIL like to have us over and always ask what we would like to eat. They are from an era where being a good host meant feeding people (and many times, this is still tradition). It's no big deal. And I always offer to bring something that I know I can eat (like a salad, or a side, or especially a dessert). Maybe next time offer to have her over for dinner, or suggest a dish that you can provide? When someone makes something that is questionable with my macros, I just pick and choose what I can eat from what is available.

About the vegan thing. I wonder if she is mixing it up with something else in her mind.
  • Pinnacle_IAO
    Pinnacle_IAO Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    I don't mean to sound unkind, but I cut ties with anybody not supportive of my goals in life.
    There's no drama, but I just quietly start distancing myself.
    Nature abhors a vacuum. Once I closed the door on a relationship, new, better doors opened.

• RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    You cannot talk to her about these things. She is not going to listen. Distance yourself as much as possible.
    Certainly make your husband do the talking if anyone has to talk.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,668 Member
    Options
    You don't have to eat at her house if you don't want to. Just let her know you guys will eat before visiting with her.
    Understand that most people who are close to you won't care anything about your goals. It's not their concern.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • Lizzy622
    Lizzy622 Posts: 3,705 Member
    Options
    Luckily you don't live with her. On the rare occasions you do eat at her house think of something she makes that isn't too bad and ask for that. ( roast chicken or turkey?) My MIL knows my daughter had a gall bladder attack and is on a strict low fat diet until she can have it removed. I saw her put an entire stick of butter on top of the eggs when we went there for breakfast. Then she wondered why my daughter did not eat the eggs.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    I don't share my diet and choices with unsupportive people. I change the subject. I'd humor her like a doddering old aunt. When she is playing hostess and she asks, let her know what your food likes and dislikes are and whatever she serves, eat with a smile. Tell her it's fine. It's all fine. Smile. Have a good laugh on the way home.

http://jokes.cc.com/funny-school/25160g/two-southern-ladies

She probably doesn't have any context in order to understand your food choices so she has put it in a box in her head marked "weird", which includes vegetarian. It seems the feeling is mutual.

Really, truly, the way to work with a stubborn mother in law is to work through your spouse. Make sure the two of you are on the same page and that your perspective is fiercely and consistently protected.
  • YoungIronG
    YoungIronG Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    you broke rule #1 - don't argue with your inlaws, that is for blood only

if you ignore her long enough, she will get the point.... its been about 5 years and I still have to ignore my father in law.

"THIS IS A TEXAS MEAT EATIN' HOUSE, NOT THAT GAY CALIFORNIA PLANT STUFF"

im from LA and I have yet to hear the end of it- even tho he begrudgingly admits he likes my cooking and he take 10 medications for heath related conditions....

stay strong and ignore, let your spouse scream at his/her own mom
  • Queenmunchy
    Queenmunchy Posts: 3,380 Member
    Options
    YoungIronG wrote: »
    you broke rule #1 - don't argue with your inlaws, that is for blood only

if you ignore her long enough, she will get the point.... its been about 5 years and I still have to ignore my father in law.

"THIS IS A TEXAS MEAT EATIN' HOUSE, NOT THAT GAY CALIFORNIA PLANT STUFF"

im from LA and I have yet to hear the end of it- even tho he begrudgingly admits he likes my cooking and he take 10 medications for heath related conditions....

stay strong and ignore, let your spouse scream at his/her own mom

This. I get along very well with my in-laws, but I also have had to defer to my husband a few times for him to talk to his mom.
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,741 Member
    Options
    Maybe she is like my mom, who feels intimidated by "different" diets even though she wants to be supportive. She doesn't get it sometimes. For example we eat her homemade baked goods, knowing that she is a user of skim milk and Splenda/sugar blend and so on...but when she brings out a frozen aisle apple pie with 500 calories per slice and sky high sodium we usually pass, or split a piece. It doesn't make sense to her. And that's ok, really. It would be a lot to expect of her to always have our favorite foods on hand and eat exactly as we do. She's never gonna enjoy plain Greek yogurt with chopped up fruit and oats in it as much as her McDonald's yogurt parfait.

When she asks "what do you want to eat?" we usually ask her to make something we know is "innocent". We go to her place weekly for dinner and we often bring restaurant food of our choosing (which she likes everything so that works) and if she "cooks" more than 50% of the time we have large, loaded baked potatoes and my husband (who is pescetarian) brings his substitution for taco meat (TVP) and we bring a container of French onion dip we love, and leave her to the Velveeta cheese sauce and bacon pieces she prefers. We all eat broccoli on our potatoes and I'm fine with her low sodium taco meat...so everyone's happy. But if we told her "whatever you want to make" we would be eating boxed and canned food only, and a lot of things we didn't prefer to eat like Frito chili pies and boxed entrees with off the charts sodium and fat and so on.
  • TheNerdyMonkey
    TheNerdyMonkey Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    dubird wrote: »
    Honestly? You're probably not going to change her mind about food. A lot of people associate gatherings and food, food being something that brings people together. If she asks you what you want for dinner when you go over there, give her some options and enjoy what she makes. You may have to do some adjusting to fit it into your calories for the day, but if you limit your portions, you should be ok.

Only suggestion I have is to be firm with your choices. You might also try inviting her over to your house and cooking for her. If she sees that what you're eating is fairly normal, she might back down some.
    jemhh wrote: »
    This is a bit of a head scratcher. I'm not sure why this is so upsetting.

Your MIL thinks you are vegan. How is that hurting you?

You visit your MIL and she asks you what you'd like for dinner. How is that hurting you?
    It's not hurting us, it's hurting her for whatever reason. She seems to be getting more upset. Occasionally dropping hints that it's an inconvenience for her. It wasn't a problem the first few times, but by this point it's been over a year. We have been eating like this for more than two years. It seems like we are going to just stop accepting her dinner requests and let her know exactly why.

• TheNerdyMonkey
    Options
    TerriK14 wrote: »
    Some people just don't listen and understand. When I started my new life style 3 yrs ago, my family was on board and asked before I came over what was good for me to have. Well after about a year, except for my mom, everyone stopped caring. I just went on and made sure I brought my own food from then on. They sometimes would say "oh yeah I forgot you can't have this" I could in moderation, but I didn't want it. People don't want you to change, they have to feel like they have to eat different or accommodate your needs if they don't like it. Just stick to being you and do what is right for your family. Maybe plan to make a meal at her house and show her what good food can taste like. Get her involved and maybe? it will help???? Just explain that this is the way you chose to eat and you don't want to hurt her feelings but her style of dinner does not work for you and your family.
    That might work, or at least help :)
  • TheNerdyMonkey
    Options
    Zombella wrote: »
    Is she one of those people who act like everything that you do is somehow against her? I would just tell her you aren't eating whatever junk she wants you to, explain why again once and that is that. If she is upset you can have her over and have her eat what you eat.
    Spot on, she doesn't bluntly act that why but makes it very obvious that she likes the control. She also makes it obvious that she doesn't approve of her son since he turned 18. She says she supported all his decisions since then like it was a problem for her. We should have her over, show her what real food looks like.