Consuming 5K Calories for 6 weeks

Options
2»

Replies

• MityMax96
    MityMax96 Posts: 5,778 Member
    Options
    One other thing, is that he is basically at what the minimum recommended allowances are....
    He started at 170 I think it was....so if he is doing 0.3 gr / lb of body weight, that puts him ~50gr
  • neversummer589
    neversummer589 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    andyluvv wrote: »
    I need about 4,000 calories a day to maintain.. So i aim for 4,250-4,500. Its not easy with clean calories but you can do it!! Eat big to get big!! (In a good way haha). 5,000 is do able.

I see you guys talking about maintaining on 3000/4000 calories and it just makes me want to cry haha
    I freak out if I eat at around 3000 even though I think that's probably around what I need? Lately I've been having a non end constant hunger and my doctor said it might be due to the training + T therapy.

But I digress - that is a LOT of food and SO much training! I train about an hour 3/4 times a week and I find that a lot! Currently doing 5x5 and adding exercises here and there...did some lunges today, pull downs and push ups.

I feel SO tired, got home and ate the world XD
    Let's get them muscles, yes!

Depends on what you do for physical activity. I walk all day at work, about 10,000-15,000 steps within 8 hours. Then Ill bike before work and hit the gym afterwards and come in at about 4,000 calories burned for the day. I also use a Fitbit Charge HR so i have a decently accurate idea of how many are being burned. When i ate 3,000-4,000, i would lose weight over time (down to 174lbs) and also sacrifice muscle that I was working on in the gym if i came in below 3k. I understand my cardio plays a factor but its something i like to do. Now at 4k+.. The weight is slowing coming back (up to 190lbs).
  • gainesma
    gainesma Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    andyluvv wrote: »
    I need about 4,000 calories a day to maintain.. So i aim for 4,250-4,500. Its not easy with clean calories but you can do it!! Eat big to get big!! (In a good way haha). 5,000 is do able.

I see you guys talking about maintaining on 3000/4000 calories and it just makes me want to cry haha
    I freak out if I eat at around 3000 even though I think that's probably around what I need? Lately I've been having a non end constant hunger and my doctor said it might be due to the training + T therapy.

But I digress - that is a LOT of food and SO much training! I train about an hour 3/4 times a week and I find that a lot! Currently doing 5x5 and adding exercises here and there...did some lunges today, pull downs and push ups.

I feel SO tired, got home and ate the world XD
    Let's get them muscles, yes!

■■■ Yeah started ketogenic diet. 1st 5 weeks I ate 3k + calories at 70 to 75% Fats; 20% protein; 5%or less carbohydrates... That was hard to eat.

By week 5+ though eating the same macro ratios at 60 to 75% fat 20 to 30% protein; 5% or less carbohydrates I find myself eating 1200 to 1600 calories per day and very satisfied.

I adopted this approach to help with high blood sugar levels...I'm discovering fat works much better than insulin does provided you keep sugar intake restricted.■■■
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    Greg Nuckols posted about this (I believe he coached this guy/oversaw the experiment) on facebook. Worth checking out the threads if you've seen them --- quite a bit of speculation about this.

"Lessons learned from sharing Alex Hormozi's before and afters, and the ongoing flak I'm still catching for it.

1) when in doubt, over-explain
    I assumed people understood that 35lbs of scale weight did not mean 35 pounds of muscle, because of course that would be an insane amount to gain in 6 weeks. I assumed wrong.

I wish he would have gotten an estimate of muscle glycogen concentrations and total body water at the start and finish. Alas, he did not. But my hunch is that about 20 of the 35lbs were nothing but glycogen, water, and undigested food (the first 20lbs came within the first week or two, then his weight gain slowed down substantially for the rest of the 6 weeks). Powerlifters who've done a water cut for a meet with 24 hour weigh-ins know how easy it is to gain 15+ pounds in a very short period of time when you're started from a depleted state, and don't even get me started about bodybuilders rebounding after a show.

He also gained 2% body fat, or about 5lbs.

Then, we're only looking at about 10 total pounds of muscle, about half of which was regained, and about half of which was new. Yes, that's really, really good, but it's nothing earth-shattering, especially in someone coming back from a layoff.

I could have and should have been more explicit about all of that, but I assumed it would be pretty obvious to most people. Lesson learned.

2) a picture is worth more than 1000 words

If Alex didn't know how to manufacture such a damn good before-and-after shot (the original back pic especially) I don't think people would have been so upset. Lighting/getting a pump/angles/etc. are all hugely important. That's been documented enough times by enough people it's not worth getting into.

The visual was shocking. The visual was a little misleading too. Jarring images often cause people to make snap judgements before actually thinking through the numbers.

3) bodybuilders are leaner than most people realize

I've had people call *kitten* because "he's 20lbs bigger than any natural bodybuilder." That's simply not true.

He was 237 at his biggest, at 18% body fat. Getting stage lean would put him at around 206. But that would be a bloated, carb super loaded 206. Depleted, no food in his intestines, no bloat, you're probably looking at mid 190s. Assuming he lost some muscle getting that lean (as just about everyone does), he'd be stepping on stage at 5'10," 190lbs or so (around 180lbs of lean mass). That's about the same size as Layne Norton (a little lighter, but also a little shorter).

People who look huge and lean in day-to-day life are generally at least 30lbs over the weight they'd actually be on stage if they competed. Unless someone is in shredded, stage-ready condition, comparing their weight to a bodybuilder's stage weight is pretty idiotic.

4) when in doubt, play it safe

This is more a note for myself than for anyone else. I detest drama and I detest conflict, and this whole situation turned out to be a much larger headache than I anticipated. Back to boring, I suppose.
    "
  • AsISmile
    AsISmile Posts: 1,004 Member
    Options
    SideSteel wrote: »
    Greg Nuckols posted about this (I believe he coached this guy/oversaw the experiment) on facebook. Worth checking out the threads if you've seen them --- quite a bit of speculation about this.

"Lessons learned from sharing Alex Hormozi's before and afters, and the ongoing flak I'm still catching for it.

I assumed people understood that 35lbs of scale weight did not mean 35 pounds of muscle, because of course that would be an insane amount to gain in 6 weeks. I assumed wrong.

I wish he would have gotten an estimate of muscle glycogen concentrations and total body water at the start and finish. Alas, he did not. But my hunch is that about 20 of the 35lbs were nothing but glycogen, water, and undigested food (the first 20lbs came within the first week or two, then his weight gain slowed down substantially for the rest of the 6 weeks). Powerlifters who've done a water cut for a meet with 24 hour weigh-ins know how easy it is to gain 15+ pounds in a very short period of time when you're started from a depleted state, and don't even get me started about bodybuilders rebounding after a show.

Then, we're only looking at about 10 total pounds of muscle, about half of which was regained, and about half of which was new. Yes, that's really, really good, but it's nothing earth-shattering, especially in someone coming back from a layoff.

I could have and should have been more explicit about all of that, but I assumed it would be pretty obvious to most people. Lesson learned.

If Alex didn't know how to manufacture such a damn good before-and-after shot (the original back pic especially) I don't think people would have been so upset. Lighting/getting a pump/angles/etc. are all hugely important. That's been documented enough times by enough people it's not worth getting into.

The visual was shocking. The visual was a little misleading too. Jarring images often cause people to make snap judgements before actually thinking through the numbers.

I've had people call *kitten* because "he's 20lbs bigger than any natural bodybuilder." That's simply not true.

He was 237 at his biggest, at 18% body fat. Getting stage lean would put him at around 206. But that would be a bloated, carb super loaded 206. Depleted, no food in his intestines, no bloat, you're probably looking at mid 190s. Assuming he lost some muscle getting that lean (as just about everyone does), he'd be stepping on stage at 5'10," 190lbs or so (around 180lbs of lean mass). That's about the same size as Layne Norton (a little lighter, but also a little shorter).

People who look huge and lean in day-to-day life are generally at least 30lbs over the weight they'd actually be on stage if they competed. Unless someone is in shredded, stage-ready condition, comparing their weight to a bodybuilder's stage weight is pretty idiotic.

This is more a note for myself than for anyone else. I detest drama and I detest conflict, and this whole situation turned out to be a much larger headache than I anticipated. Back to boring, I suppose.
    "

Thanks. Great addition to this thread!
  • MityMax96
    Options
    Thanks for the post SS
  • _Bropollo_
    _Bropollo_ Posts: 168 Member
    Options

"

Glad somebody else is on the same page. That article is super misleading and and a newbie might read that, think its legit and applies to them too, and start on a path to a terribly disappointing "dreamer bulk".

If it sounds too good to be true, it likely is.
  • devildogheath
    devildogheath Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I'm currently on day 9 of 5k to 7k calories a day. I'll keep Yall posted on how it goes.
  • MityMax96
    Options
    Wow. Good luck. :smiley:
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    _Bropollo_ wrote: »

"

Glad somebody else is on the same page. That article is super misleading and and a newbie might read that, think its legit and applies to them too, and start on a path to a terribly disappointing "dreamer bulk".

If it sounds too good to be true, it likely is.

Valid point. I tried eating 5k calories with carbs in the 700g+ range every day for a little while as an experiment. I got fat. Really, really fast.
  • Shouliveshappy
    Shouliveshappy Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    How do you guys know that 4000 - 5000 calories a day is your maintrance. Did you slowly increase it? Did it match iifym.com suggested TDEE, was it very far off?
  • MityMax96
    Options
    You figure it out by trial and error
    That is why you log and track your food intake, then you can figure out what that amount of food will do.
  • MityMax96
    Options
    calculators are good, in that they will get you in the ballpark of where you need to be....but then you have to do your homework once there.
  • devildogheath
    devildogheath Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Happy to report a 35 day streak of 5k a day!
  • MityMax96
    Options
    Nice....well done